Desire 31

All I Want...

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Selina awoke in the middle of the night with her cell phone ringing. She turned over and reached for it. It was Danson.

-_-

[The Alleyway]

Selina made her way through the alley way following Danson’s earlier directions. She made a face and looked around wondering if she was going the right way. She felt creeped out for traveling through such a place in the middle of the night. At last she came to the door.  

-_-

[Sun Mi’s Apartment]

Danson rushed to the door as he heard a few knocks.

“Who is it?” he asked.

“Who else would come in the middle of the night?” asked Selina.

Danson opened the door and quickly pulled her in not giving her a chance to speak. After Danson hurriedly locked the door he turned back to Selina who was straightening her shirt.

“What the heck is wrong with you?” asked Selina.

Danson looked at her then pointed to her face, “Your cheek is red. Did something happen?”

Selina lightly slapped his hand away, “Nothing. Your turn what are you doing here?”

Danson looked toward the door in the back and turned back to Selina.

“Someone attacked her,” Danson told.

“Attacked who?” Selina asked.

Danson let out an annoyed breath, “The girl that’s always with Aaron at school. The one other than his girlfriend.”

“Sun Mi?” Selina asked.

“Yes that’s her,” Danson said, “she hasn’t stopped crying. Could you please talk to her?”

Selina turned to look at the door after Danson had shoved her into the room. Smiling at her Danson closed the door to let Sun Mi have her chat with Selina. Selina turned back to look at Sun Mi wondering what could possibly be wrong that it could be counted as an emergency in the middle of the night. Selina walked over toward the bed and looked down at Sun Mi. The poor girl’s eyes were swollen red and puffy.

“I heard something happened,” Selina said.

“I’m s…sorry,” Sun Mi managed through her sobs, “you were the only one that came to mind.”

Selina stared at her pitifully. Without looking at Selina Sun Mi began her story.

After waiting for what seemed like a long time the door opened and Selina walked out. Danson hurried over anxious to hear what Sun Mi had said. He also wanted to know why she had broken down so bad. Selina looked up at him and the tears in her eyes scared him.

“What? What did she say?” asked Danson.

Selina wiped the tear that had fallen and looked up at Danson, “Back in Korea a few years back…Sun Mi was .”

About an hour later Selina had fallen asleep on the couch. Danson sat at the other end far away from her lost in his thoughts. He wasn’t sure of how to feel toward her now. The whole situation was awkward. He recalled to when he had scared her in the alleyway for the first time. He hadn’t understood why she was on the verge of crying then, but now he understood. She must have been afraid. She must have been surround with that fear ever since it happened. How could he be so stupid?

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Aaron had woken up the next morning, but felt too lazy to actually get up to start his day. Instead he lay in bed silently. Selina’s father’s words were playing over and over in his head. So Selina didn’t like him? She wasn’t happy with the marriage. A divorce sounded necessary. His feelings were hurt. Was he not good enough? Or was it that he had not done enough? No. Maybe he was too much of a kid for her to handle. The number four is a big number. Aaron sighed and stared at Selina’s empty side of the bed. Aaron sat up as he heard the front door open and close. Selina was back. Aaron quickly turned over so his back was to the door.

Selina set down her purse onto the bedside table and glanced at Aaron. Without saying anything she had gone into the bathroom.

Aaron turned around slowly then wondered if he should ask where she had gone. Maybe he shouldn’t ask after all. Besides she was old enough to go without asking her husband right? She might get annoyed with him for wanting to know so much.   

-_-

[Sun Mi’s Apartment]

Sun Mi had gotten up early the next morning. What surprised her was that when she opened her bedroom door Danson was still sitting on the couch widely awake.   

“What are you doing here?” asked Sun Mi.

“You’re awake,” Danson said.

“Please leave,” Sun Mi told as she walked toward her kitchen.

Danson looked around and his eyes flashed as he found the pen.

“You left your pen yesterday. I just returned it,” Danson told.

Sun Mi glanced at him with no expression, “You can leave now.”

“Aren’t you going to invite me to stay for breakfast?” asked Danson.

“Why would I?” asked Sun Mi.

“I stayed all night,” Danson told.

“I don’t need your pity so just leave,” Sun Mi replied.

Danson stood still, “How about I keep you company? It’s a Sunday after all.”

Sun Mi turned around and walked toward Danson pushing him toward the door.

“Just go. Leave!” Sun Mi shouted.

Danson frowned at her wondering why she was being so mean.

“I don’t need your pity! You don’t have to worry about a Korean girl like me!” Sun Mi shouted almost angrily unknowingly.

Danson turned around and Sun Mi stopped.

“Your eyes are swollen. Boy do you look tired,” Danson said. “Did you actually sleep?”

Sun Mi looked away on the verge of crying again.

“I can be a friend and comfort you,” Danson told. “You’re a girl after all.”

Sun Mi bit her lip and Danson walked toward her until her head lightly hit his shoulder. She then started sobbing uncontrollably.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

After brushing her teeth Selina got out of the bathroom to find Aaron still lying in bed. Selina stood there for a while until Aaron finally turned wondering if Selina had gone downstairs. A sudden smile crept onto Selina’s face as she put her hands on her hips.

“So you’re awake,” Selina said.  

Knowing now the he couldn’t sleep no more Aaron sat up in bed silently. Selina sat on the bed and sighed.

“Did you wake up while I was gone?” Selina asked.

“I did when you received the call,” Aaron replied the day before still on his mind.

“Oh,” Selina said then quietly slapped her hand against her feet then turned to Aaron, “don’t you want to know where I went?”

Aaron glanced down at the blanket as if he could get away from the question then looked up at Selina. He also wanted to know, but was afraid of the answer.

“Where?” he questioned.

“Your friend had some trouble,” Selina told.

“Friend?” repeated Aaron.

Selina nodded, “Sun Mi. The girl that came here once.”

“What happened?” Aaron asked.

“I think she’d feel uncomfortable if you knew,” Selina said.

“Is it something serious?” asked Aaron.

“In a way,” Selina told.

“I don’t get it,” Aaron said.

Selina laughed a little and reached over to hit him lightly on the shoulder.

“Lets eat breakfast,” Selina told and headed downstairs.

Confused Aaron jumped out of bed and hurried downstairs. After breakfast was prepared and before Aaron could sit down the door bell rang.

“I’ll go get it,” Aaron offered quickly.

When he opened the door his smile melted away. Hebe smiled back at him a bag in her arm.

“Good morning!” Hebe greeted. “Since today’s a Sunday I doubt you’re going out right?”

Aaron found himself silent at answering. Hebe invited herself in and walked into the kitchen. Aaron shut the door following Hebe fast, but before stopping her she already paused by the doorway. Selina turned to return the stare.

“Hebe…” Aaron began.

Selina felt a strange disappointment form inside her. Already her morning was ruined. What could she do when Hebe was there?

“Should I excuse myself?” asked Selina.

Hebe didn’t answer, but walked in and set her bag on the table.

“I brought some toast over,” she began.

Aaron glanced at Selina. He wanted to spend time with her not Hebe, but Selina had already gotten up from her chair.

“I can go out for some air,” Selina said and walked out the kitchen trying her best not to look at Aaron’s face.  

Aaron had to admit that their happy days were over. Divorce was one word that was beginning to haunt him. He wondered if Selina was seriously thinking about it.

-_-

[A Park]

Selina jutted her feet out onto the grass moving them back and forth. The grass was swaying easily with the wind. Little children were screaming, yelling, and laughing before her in the large playground and sandbox. Parents sat alongside chatting. They all seemed so happy. It made Selina wonder why it seemed so easy to achieve happiness, but why was it always hard to maintain it? Selina tilted her head up toward the sky. She suddenly thought there was no one to turn to. Only if Jiro were still there she could call him up and get everything off her mind.

“Get a reality check Selina,” Selina told herself.

She sighed and kicked the ground a sudden thought popping into her head.

-_-

[Yan Household]

The door opened and the maid welcomed Selina in. Selina smiled as she clutched onto the bag she was holding.

“Aaron’s father is not in. If you’d like anything I can get it for you,” the maid said.

“Oh…” Selina smiled, “then is Grandpa Yan in?”

There was a knock on Grandpa Yan’s bedroom door before he answered with a loud grunt to allowing her to go in. Selina opened the door and poked her head in slowly. Grandpa Yan smiled quickly and turned around in his wheelchair. He was sitting at a circular table with a newspaper in front of him.

“I thought you’d never visit,” he said with a smile. “Come sit.”

Selina walked over and handed him the bag.

“What’s this?” asked Grandpa Yan in surprise, but he was obviously happy.

“Ginseng Tea.” Selina replied. “I saw it at the mart. If you’d like I can buy some more the next time I visit.”

“Isn’t that sweet?” Grandpa Yan said with a cheerful laugh.  

Selina smiled before sitting at the small sofa at the foot of his bed.

“Are you ok?” Selina asked.

“Why?” asked Grandpa Yan then glanced at the wheel chair he was sitting in then laughed again. “This? This is nothing. My body’s been aching lately so I can’t really stand.”

Selina nodded.

“How about you and Aaron?” asked Grandpa Yan. “You two are getting a long fine? Has anything happened?”

“We’re doing good. Aaron has a lot of school friends,” Selina said with a smile.

Grandpa Yan nodded, “I heard there was something about a divorce the other day?”

Selina looked at Grandpa Yan. She had not expected to hear this from him. She turned and looked at the ground.

“Well…actually…there’s been a lot of stress lately that’s all,” Selina told. “I don’t know about a divorce…really.”

Grandpa Yan smiled, “Good. Divorce won’t be an option will it? Grandpa will be very disappointed in you and Aaron if you make that decision.”

Selina nodded and smiled, “I’ve never had grandparents…I’m glad you’re the first.”

-_-

[Sun Mi’s Apartment]

Sun Mi sat quietly by the couch as Danson had fallen asleep after breakfast. She hadn’t realized it till now that he’d been awake all night. Was he actually worried or did he just feel sorry toward her? Whatever it was bringing a pen back was the lamest excuse she’d ever heard however she was thankful for his save.

“I’d never thought this jerk could actually be thoughtful,” Sun Mi said quietly to herself.