Desire 39

All I Want...

-_-

[Selina’s Bedroom]

Selina set her purse down on her desk and sat down on her bed. All she could think about was Aaron and how good she had felt after seeing him. She felt happy knowing that he’d been doing good taking care of himself. Selina couldn’t help, but smile for the rest of the night.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Aaron laid down on the bed and smiled as he glanced toward the glass collectible Selina had left behind for him. Selina had liked his cooking and she’d saved him from the oncoming car. It was the first time he’d realized that she cared. He smiled deeply as he recalled Selina checking him for any injuries. He was starting to miss her again.

-_-

[Flower Shop]

The next morning he was greeted by Hebe. After a quick breakfast they had headed out to a flower shop. They were all smiles joking here and there.

“If we have a daughter I’d like her to become a florist someday,” Hebe said as she glanced at the roses in front of her.

Aaron looked at her and became quiet. Marriage? Again? He hadn’t thought about it. Aaron just couldn’t imagine himself marrying someone else other than Selina. That thought was just impossible.

“What about these lilies? I think they’re pretty,” Hebe commented.

As Hebe looked on Aaron walked away from her and stopped at a bunch of small white flowers that looked like a group of snow.

“Do you like them?” asked a voice.

Aaron turned to see the shop keeper smiling at him.

Aaron smiled back, “They’re pretty.”

“It’s called Baby’s breath,” he said, “it means happiness. It’s mainly used to decorate with other flowers, but I think it’s pretty as a big bouquet too. My wife loves them around the house. If you’re married I think your wife will love them too.”

Aaron smiled as he thought about Selina.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Hebe had both her arms clutched tightly onto Aaron’s left arm as she walked up the drive way with him. Hebe had red roses tucked under her arm and Aaron was carrying his bouquet of Baby’s breath. They paused a few feet from the door as Aaron recognized Sun Mi standing by the door. She turned toward them and smiled.

“I guess I’ll go now,” Hebe said reluctantly releasing Aaron.

“Why don’t you stay for a bit? It’d be nice to have a chat,” Sun Mi said. “I’m just visiting for a few minutes.”

“No,” Hebe refused, “you two go ahead and talked. Haven’t seen you in a while.”

Hebe turned to Aaron and said her goodbye and left. Aaron watched her leave and turned to Sun Mi.

“What’s up?” Aaron said.

Sun Mi found herself sitting at the kitchen table observing the bouquet.

“So when was it?” Sun Mi asked out of the blue.

Aaron walked over and sat a bottle of water in front of Sun Mi then took a seat in front of her.

“When was what?” asked Aaron.

Sun Mi pressed her lips together, “I heard you and Selina divorced after the week of exams.”

“Oh…” Aaron said. “How’d you find out? Don’t become an old lady that gossips.”

Sun Mi laughed playfully, “If you don’t tell me of course I have my ways.” Sun stopped playing with the bouquet and looked at Aaron. “I didn’t find out intentionally. Danson mentioned it to me.”

“You’re still keeping in contact with him?” asked Aaron.

“No,” Sun Mi replied, “that moron’s my neighbor now.” Sun Mi gave a loud sigh. “It’s so tiring living across from him!”

Aaron laughed.

“But Aaron…” Sun Mi said slowly then paused wondering if she went on. “You don’t think she had a reason for the divorce do you?”

Aaron frowned at the sudden question, “Why?”

“Well I sort of heard a story from Danson,” Sun Mi told, “Selina’s boyfriend returned?”

Aaron didn’t respond to her question. Sun Mi laughed uncomfortably then rubbed her head.

“Oh my…I guess I shouldn’t have said anything. You must have had a hard time,” Sun Mi said. “Sorry I brought it up...”

Aaron looked up, “You wondered if there was a reason?”

“I don’t think you want to hear it,” Sun Mi sort of mumbled.

“No go on. I’d like to know,” Aaron assured.

“But there could be other reasons too…” Sun Mi tried.

Aaron nodded his head.

Sun Mi watched Aaron’s face carefully, “I heard she’s getting married to Jiro.”

-_-

[Jiro’s Suite]

Selina stared out of the large window into the night of Taipei. Buildings were standing tall, shops haven’t closed yet, people walked the streets, and cars zoomed back and forth. As footsteps entered the room Selina turned around on the white leather sofa to see Jiro setting down a tray with two cups of tea.

“What happened to coffee? I thought you hated tea,” Jiro said as he placed a cup in front of her.

Selina situated herself and took her cup blowing away the steam.

“I heard one shouldn’t drink coffee in the middle of the day,” Selina told, “why would I drink coffee when it’s nighttime smarty?”

Jiro laughed as he took a seat next to her.

“I’ve just started liking tea so now we can drink tea together any time,” Selina said with a smile.

They had a short moment of silence before Selina went on.

“So what’s the secret?” Selina questioned.

“Secret?” Jiro repeated.

Selina nodded, “Yes the secret. How did you become boss so fast? Weren’t you studying?”

“Oh…that,” Jiro said then took a sip of his tea, “I ran into this guy in New York. Lost his wallet on a train, I returned it to him, he offered me a job, I accepted, and after he passed away from a heart attack his mother passed the company over to me. That’s all. Why? Were you expecting something big?”

Selina raised her eyebrows, “Maybe she could have given you a million for keepsake.”

Jiro laughed leaned onto her shoulder. Selina could feel his rebellious hair rub against her cheek.

“You know I still love you a lot right?” Jiro asked.

Selina pressed her lips together.

“I wanted to make your parents feel some pain, but I knew you wouldn’t like that,” Jiro told, “so I told them I wanted to marry you.”

Selina kept silent.

“I really want to start a future with you,” Jiro told, “you think the same don’t you? You wouldn’t want to give me up would you? We’d be together forever don’t you agree?”

“There’s no forever after death,” Selina said making Jiro wonder if she was being sarcastic.

In the past if Jiro had leaned against her shoulder she would always rest her head on his, but this time he noticed that she just sat still.

“You aren’t wavering are you?” Jiro questioned. “I mean you still love me the same don’t you?”

“You ask the funniest questions,” Selina replied.

She wasn’t answering his questions and it made him feel unsecure. Jiro could only think the negative thoughts. What was she thinking? He didn’t know anymore. Selina wasn’t as opened up as she usually was. Did she not feel for him anymore? He’d battled and held himself back from her parent’s angers. He couldn’t let all his endless efforts to waste. He’d just feel so regretful and mad if he did.