Desire 29

All I Want...

-_-

[Ren Enterprise]

Selina stared at the glass figurine she had sketched onto a notepad. It was of a girl sitting on a bench with a boy kneeling in front of her with a house in the shape of a heart next to them. On the base of the glass was written: I give my heart to you. Selina bit her lips.

“It’s so plain and ugly,” she told herself.

There was a sudden knock on the door and her mother walked in.

“Hi honey. How are you doing?” Mrs. Ren asked.

“What are you doing here mom?” asked Selina.

“I just came to check on you,” Mrs. Ren said.

Selina quickly covered up her notepad with a binder as to not let her mom see.

“You want to talk to me about business don’t you?” asked Selina.

Mrs. Ren smiled, “Your father invited some investors. They’re coming here tomorrow and your dad wants to present your project to them.”

“Why my project?” Selina asked. “You’re going to show me off?”

Mrs. Ren kept her steady smile glued to her face, “Your father just wants to let them see how good your talents are.”

“It’s just for the money,” Selina told. “I don’t want to.”

“Why are you always being stubborn?” asked Mrs. Ren. “This is really important to your father please understand.”

Selina gritted her teeth, “I’m always understanding, but I don’t want this project. Dad already knows. He’s just doing this on purpose.”

“Why are you being so rebellious. You’re not  kid anymore,” Mrs. Ren said.

“You’ve never given me the chance to be a kid,” Selina retorted.

She didn’t quite understand herself why she was being so harsh to her mother. Was it the stress from home? Maybe. It was also because she hated this project her father was pushing onto her. She didn’t want part of it at all.

“Don’t give me this childish argument of yours,” her mother warned, “tomorrow be here by seven ok?”

Selina didn’t reply. Her mother gave a loud sigh and walked out of the room. Selina felt like smashing something to let out her feelings.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Hebe was lingering around as usual. Selina had had enough of having to watch her stay so close to Aaron she had gone upstairs. She felt she would blow up if she saw Hebe any longer. This was her house. Not a house where she would let just anybody come in so they’d be able to push Selina out. No way would that happen, but however angry Selina felt she couldn’t lash out her anger. By looking at Aaron she knew he had no choice. Such a good kid couldn’t just force his hurt girlfriend out. Aaron should be more hurt than she herself. Selina sighed and rubbed her eyes then put on her glasses as she flipped through her usual binders.

Selina had fallen asleep for a little while and awoke after an hour. As she sat up her arms suddenly slipped forward and she knocked the snow globe Jiro had given her off the table. It crashed onto the ground with a loud noise. Selina opened her eyes with a jolt and sat up rubbing her eyes.

“Stupid dream,” she muttered and glanced at the still snow globe.

Selina pressed her lips together and reached for it. She shook it and watched the snow fall down to the bottom.

“Hurry back Jiro. I already feel like dying by just waiting,” Selina thought.

Aaron sat at the kitchen table silently as Hebe walked back and forth setting the table and bringing food over. At last when Hebe sat down Aaron found his strength to speak up.

“Hebe,” Aaron began, “I don’t think it’s necessary for you to keep coming.”

“Why not? I’m your girlfriend aren’t I?” asked Hebe.

“I don’t think it’s right for you to keep coming,” Aaron told.

“Is your wife telling you to tell me this?” Hebe asked as she began to fill her plate.

“No…but you shouldn’t be doing this,” Aaron told.

Hebe bit her lower lip, “I’m not going to stop. Not until you leave her or she leaves you.”

“Aren’t you going to far?” asked Aaron. “I think you’ve already hurt her feelings.”

“And my feelings aren’t?” Hebe argued. “Don’t you care about me? I’m hurt too. You’ve lied to me and I’ve beared with it. I’ll do anything just to make you stay. Don’t you understand my considerations for you?”

Aaron held himself back from rolling his eyes.

“If you’d like me to leave now you can just say so,” Hebe said as she set down her chopsticks. “I don’t want to argue with you either.”

Aaron didn’t know what to say. What was he supposed to do? In the past few days he felt as if he was being distanced away from Selina. She hardly interacted with him except for when she sent him and picked him up from school. They had barely talked since Hebe started coming. He wondered if Hebe was offending Selina.

“I guess I’ll see you tomorrow,” Hebe said and got up.

When Aaron heard the door close he stared at the food. He’d lost his appetite. Suddenly remembering that Selina hadn’t eaten he hurried upstairs only to find Selina curled up in bed with her eyes closed. He noticed that she was holding onto the snow globe she always kept on the bedside table. Aaron turned and found a notepad sticking out from under her binder. Curious he pulled it out and glanced at it. The idea seemed cute to him and he wondered what she’d be using it for.

-_-

[Taipei University]

Sun Mi was walking up the stairs taking her time. Suddenly she felt someone rush pass her pushing her against the wall. Sun Mi let out a shout and turned to see Danson rushing ahead. She pressed her lips together and rushed up the stairs. As she ran passed him she quickly rammed him into the wall.

“What was that for?” Danson questioned.

Sun Mi stuck out her tongue, “You were just picking a fight with me.”

“What?” Danson asked.

“Loser!” Sun Mi shouted and walked off.

Semester exams were coming up yet Aaron couldn’t bring himself to concentrate on his studies. If he were lucky he’d pass his classes, but he was too caught up in his feelings. Hebe was being too much and yet he missed Selina’s kindness toward him. That evening before Hebe had made it over Selina slipped out of the house without his notice.

-_-

[Ren Enterprise]

Mr. Ren sat at the table feeling deeply embarrassed. He wanted to shrink behind the table he was sitting. It had been an hour and Selina had not shown up at all. He already had his secretary call her a dozen times and yet she hadn’t answered her phone. The investors he had called in were already beginning to snicker with each other angrily.

-_-

[A Bar]

Danson stopped by the front doors and recognizing Selina inside he opened the doors walking in.

“I wonder why you’ll be calling me out,” Danson said taking a seat next to her. “Depressed? Stressed? Or is it that you realize you like Aaron?”

“Stop kidding,” Selina said as she drunk down a shot then became silent and said quietly, “I had a dream Jiro came back.”

“And you’re worried?” Danson asked sounding sarcastic.

“I don’t know…I seriously don’t know,” Selina said.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Hebe had left after a long moment of silence with Aaron. He hadn’t spoken to her, but she had to initiate the conversation still Aaron only gave her short answers. Was he angry with her? Was that why he was being that way? Or was it because she’d pushed herself into his life and made everything go her way? However she also felt a huge disappointment in him and he must be feeling the same way toward her.

Aaron walked up the stairs wondering what Selina was doing. He hoped the two of them could have dinner together. He paused when he noticed the light was off. After switching the light on he found the room empty. He ran back downstairs calling her on his cell phone, but she did not pick up. Aaron tried again and again, but it was the same. He couldn’t reach her.

-_-

[Outside The Bar]

Selina was already knocked out. What surprised Danson the most was that she did not speak a word throughout the whole time she was drunk. Danson shut the door to his car and ran to the driver’s side. As he got in and started the engine he wondered if he should take her back to Aaron. Shaking his head he took her to his place instead. She could sleep in the guest room for the night.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Aaron had fallen asleep on the couch waiting all night for Selina to return. He quickly awoke as the door bell rang. Excitedly figuring that it was Selina he rushed to the door and opened it.

“Good morning,” Aaron hesitantly greeted.

Mr. Ren looked unhappy, but on the other hand Mrs. Ren was able to smile and greet him back.

“Are you going to let us in?” Mr. Ren asked.

“Oh…yes sorry,” Aaron said and pushed the door back for them.

“Where’s Selina?” asked Mr. Ren as he glanced around.

“You’ve been keeping the house really clean,” Mrs. Ren complimented.

Aaron smiled nervously, “Have a seat. Would you like anything to drink?”

“No, we’re fine,” Mr. Ren replied coldly. “You haven’t answered me. Where’s Selina?”

“Um…” Aaron started unsure of what to say.

Was Selina in some sort of trouble? Why did her father look so mad? To his luck the door bell rang.

“I’ll go get it,” Aaron said hoping it was Selina.

The door opened and a shocked expression came across Aaron’s face.

“Dad?” he asked.

“Hi,” Mr. Yan greeted. “I figured I’d stop by. It’s been a while since I’ve seen you and Selina. How are you?”

“We’re fine dad,” Aaron told, “you can come in.”

Mr. Yan paused slightly as he saw Selina’s parents sitting on the couch.

“Are you having a little family outing?” Mr. Yan joked as he turned back to look at Aaron.

Aaron smiled back choosing not to speak.

“What a coincidence to see you here,” Mr. Ren said extending his arm out for Aaron’s father to shake.

Mr. Yan shook it happily and sat down. Aaron couldn’t help, but sigh. He could deal with his dad, but to have her parents here made the atmosphere uncomfortable as if they were after something. Besides he wasn’t too familiar with her family.

-_-

[Danson’s Apartment]

Selina awoke with a headache. She slowly got up from the bed and looked around as she rubbed her scalp. She took a breath and walked out of the room. Glancing out into the hallway she recognized it as no other than Danson’s place. She made her way to the door and left. When she got outside she hailed a cab and made her way home.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

They all sat in silence during those 30 minutes. They had small chats here and there about business, but that was all. If Aaron knew how to cook he’d offer breakfast, but there was no way that was going to happen. He wondered why Selina had gone out and if she was ok. The door suddenly opened and Selina walked in. The first thing Aaron noticed was her slightly messy hair she’d left down. Selina looked at everyone surprised, but before she could do or say anything her father got up from the couch marching toward her. Aaron’s eyes opened wide and he got up from his couch as Mr. Ren sent a slap across Selina’s face.