Desire 13

All I Want...

-_-

[A Café]

Danson glanced at his watch and sat quietly at his table. He turned as the door opened and Selina walked in.

“Why do you suddenly want to meet today?” questioned Selina.

“Lets go,” Danson told.

-_-

[Candy Store]

Selina frowned as she watched Danson walk pass her. With no choice Selina followed him. They walked down the street into a candy store. As Selina turned around to look inside Danson had already started bagging up the candies.

“What are we doing?” Selina asked. “Why are we here?”

“Doesn’t it bring back memories?” asked Danson.

“Umm…no,” Selina told.

“Would you rather have caramel or chocolate?” questioned Danson.

Selina frowned again, “Chocolate.”

“I thought so,” Danson told as he continued.

“What are we really here for?” questioned Selina. “Come on why can’t you just tell me?”

“Do you think this is enough?” questioned Danson turning around with two big bags.

Selina raised her eyebrows in surprise.

“Uh…yea,” she replied.

They walked out of the store and toward their cars.

“Follow me,” Danson told.

-_-

[A Park]

Without questions Selina drove her car after Danson to a park. When she got out she saw that he was pulling out a kite from the back of his trunk.

“And what are we doing now?” asked Selina already knowing the answer.

“Flying a kite,” Danson told.

He walked toward the empty field and started to fly the kite in the air. As he did so he handed it to Selina.

“Ok do you want to talk about something now?” Selina asked. “You’ve been dragging time. Don’t think I haven’t noticed.”

“Remember back when you cried every time because of Jiro I’d take you to buy candy and we’d eat it together then you’d cheer up right away,” Danson said.

“Oh yea! But that was years ago,” Selina told keeping the kite in mid air.

“We don’t have the chance to do that anymore do we?” asked Danson.

“I don’t know. We’re not kids anymore,” Selina replied. “Where’d you buy this kite? It’s so pretty.”

“How come I haven’t seen you at work?” Danson wondered.

“My dad won’t let me go,” Selina easily replied.

“Are you always going to listen to them?” asked Danson.

“Of course not,” Selina told.

“What if Jiro doesn’t return?” Danson suddenly asked.

Selina turned to face him abruptly.

“I didn’t see you at the wedding. Where were you?” Selina asked.

“If he doesn’t return will you live like this forever?” Danson asked.

“They had a lot of good food there. It would have been better if you had come,” Selina told.

“Are you trying to look pitiful?” Danson asked.

“You might have met a girl there,” Selina said with a smile.

Danson couldn’t help but feel irritated now, “Why do you keep changing subjects?”

Selina was silent then said, “You already know my answers. I’m not going to believe that Jiro won’t return.”

“Why didn’t you tell me Selina?” Danson’s voice suddenly got louder. “It was that underclassman you were marrying.”

“Who? Aaron?” Selina questioned.

“You didn’t need to marry him! You’re just ruining yourself before Jiro can return,” Danson pointed out, “are you already sharing a bed with him? Do you think Jiro can accept this when he returns? I don’t want to see you like this. Have you ever thought that if you tried talking Aaron out of the marriage then maybe he could convince your parents to avoid it too!”

Sharing a bed with Aaron? Selina suddenly felt angered by that, but tried her best to stay calm.

“What’s it to you? You’re not Jiro. You aren’t him so how would you know?” asked Selina. “I know he would accept me for what I am. Not for what my body has turned into.”

“You think that when Jiro comes back everything will turn back to normal?” asked Danson.

“I’m not stupid. I don’t expect that,” Selina retorted.

“So let me ask you,” Danson told, “what if you change? What if during this marriage Aaron somehow touches your heart?”

Selina laughed at that silly thought, “As in love? Yea right.”

“You barely know him. What if you two decide to get closer? Then maybe you start to forget Jiro then? Day and night it’ll only be Aaron with you. Aren’t you scared Selina?” Danson asked.

Selina turned angrily toward Danson this time, “Why are you saying so much rubbish? It’s not like I need you to watch us 24/7! I know what I’m doing I know where my feelings stand! So don’t worry Danson you don’t need to tell me what to fear or what to do! You can have your kite back!”

Selina shoved his kite into his chest and walked off angrily. She started her car and drove off. After deciding that she had gone far enough from Danson she stopped her car at the side of the road. Thoughts and more worries flying through her mind. She didn’t want to admit it, but it did scare her. The thought of falling for Aaron while Jiro was gone.

“No,” Selina told herself with a smile, “that won’t happen.”

She pushed her hair behind her ear and stared out at the road. It was true she and Aaron barely knew it each other. If they did then maybe they could become friends throughout this marriage. Besides Selina couldn’t just assume something and become cold to him. It was unfair for both of them. Selina nodded her head. She’d get to know him and he’d get to know her.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

An hour after Selina had left the house phone rang. Aaron quickly jumped up from the couch to answer it.

“Dad?” Aaron asked surprised.

“Hey son how’s it going? Are you eating ok?” asked Mr. Yan.

“Yea dad. Nothing to worry about,” Aaron told, “how are you and grandpa?”

“Nothing to worry about here either,” Mr. Yan replied, “how would you like to bring
Selina to dinner tonight?”

“Oh…she’s out right now.” Aaron told. “But I’ll ask her when she comes back. Maybe we can come tomorrow.”

Aaron hung up the phone and went to watch the TV again. He laid down, sat back, laid down, and sat back up as more time passed by. Selina had not yet returned and evening had arrived. Aaron’s stomach was grumbling. Just as the next show began the door opened and Selina walked in. Aaron noticed her face didn’t look very happy, but more like disappointed and down.

“You’re finally back,” Aaron said.

“You know Danson, my friend from school?” asked Selina.

Aaron thought for a bit then nodded his head, “What about him?”

“If he says anything to you just ignore him,” Selina told.

“Why’s that? Did you meet up with him today?” Aaron asked.

Before Selina could go on the door bell rang. Selina turned around and opened the door to find Ella standing there.

“Relatives were supposed to come over for dinner, but called at the last minute. They can’t make it and I’ve prepared a lot. Would you like to come over for dinner?” asked Ella with her hands clasped together.

Selina figured it’d be better than staying in the awkward atmosphere with Aaron.

“Sure,” Selina replied.

“No,” Aaron said at the same time.

Selina and Ella turned to look at Aaron surprised. Selina turned around and walked out of the front door. Aaron headed out with Ella’s curious stares and closed the door after him.