Desire 16

All I Want...

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Aaron closed the door after him and turned to glance at Selina who had sat down onto the couch.

“My grandpa’s usually like that so don’t mind his words,” Aaron told taking a seat next to Selina.

She was silent with her arms crossed over her chest and staring at the blank TV screen before her.

“I’ve never had anyone to call grandma or grandpa throughout my life,” Selina told. “So I don’t know how a grandparent is supposed to be like.”

“Oh…sorry to hear,” Aaron said.

“But I guess if they were alive they’d be like your grandpa,” Selina said then turned to Aaron, “are you hungry? I can cook a pizza I bought.”

“It’s alright. I think I’m just going to go to sleep,” Aaron told.

When Aaron woke up the next day he found Selina handing him a vacuum she had found in the storage room.

“What’s this?” Aaron questioned.

“We’re cleaning the house,” Selina replied.

“Isn’t it already very clean?” Aaron asked.

“It was a few days ago, but it gets dirty too. Look at all the cookie crumbs you have on the couch,” Selina pointed out then turned to the vacuum, “you know how to work it?”

Aaron plugged in the cord and Selina watched as he ran all over the living room with the vacuum.

“What are you doing?” questioned Selina.

“Huh?” Aaron asked as he did not hear Selina through the roaring of the vacuum.

Selina shouted once more and not hearing what Selina said Aaron turned off the vacuum.

“That’s not how you do it!” Selina shouted and walked over taking the handle of the vacuum away from him.

“I’ve never touched one before. I’ve only seen the maids do it,” Aaron told.

“Watch,” Selina ordered.

Aaron watched as Selina ran the vacuum back and forth slowly in one area then moved on.

“Just go like this. After you’re done mop the stairs,” Selina told.

“What about you?” Aaron questioned.

“I’m cleaning the kitchen.” Selina told and walked off.

Aaron quickly vacuumed as Selina organized the kitchen. After half an hour Aaron got a bucket of water and began scrubbing the stairs. As he was halfway up he heard Selina give a loud deafening scream. Alarmed he raced down the stairs into the kitchen.

“Why are you screaming?” Aaron asked.

Selina quickly ran over to hide behind him.

“Over there! Quickly get rid of it!” Selina screamed jumping up and down.

Frowning Aaron walked over to find a centipede crawling all over the kitchen floor. Aaron couldn’t help, but laugh as he got a towel and killed it.

“I thought there was a fire or something,” Aaron told. “But hey shouldn’t it be me who’s afraid you’re the one to kill it?”

“I can’t be a girl because I’m older?” asked Selina.

“Do you want to see it? It’s as red as a rose,” Aaron told holding out the towel to Selina.

Selina frowned unhappily as Aaron slowly walked toward her.

“Aaron don’t you dare! Stop it right now!” Selina shouted.

Still with a sneaky smile Aaron walked toward her slowly then ran at her. Selina jumped and turned around running into the living room screaming. For a while Aaron chased Selina until she clumsily tripped over her own feet and ended up on the ground. Aaron stopped surprised and bent down to look at her. To an even more surprise he found tears rolling down her cheeks. Aaron quickly ran into the kitchen to dispose of the bug and came back with a clean towel. Immediately he started wiping her tears.

“You jerk! You’re so mean!” Selina shouted hitting his chest.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. I was just playing,” Aaron apologized.

“Jerk,” Selina mumbled again and took the towel from him wiping her tears herself.

“But it was funny though…” Aaron confessed with a smile.

Selina frowned at him and found herself laughing first.

“Idiot,” she name called him and slapped him across the arm before getting up.

They finished cleaning up the house and had a quiet dinner. Before Aaron knew it the week had already passed by. School was resuming on Monday. Selina was already shaking him awake. Aaron moaned and turned over on the couch so his back was to her.

“Wake up! No wonder you’re always late for school!” Selina told.

She reached for the pillow under his hand and pulled it out then started to hit him with it.

“Wake up!” Selina urged.

Aaron moaned and grabbed the pillow from Selina sitting up.

“Ok…ok,” Aaron told.

Selina glared at him once more and walked into the kitchen. Making sure that she was out of sight Aaron dropped back onto the couch. A moment later Aaron came rushing down the stairs.

“How am I getting to school?” Aaron asked while looking inside his bag.

“I’ll send you.” Selina told. “Are you going to eat breakfast?”

“Could you make me a toast?” Aaron asked.

“Just go swallow up that plate in the kitchen,” Selina told.

Aaron did as directed and quickly ran out to the car.

“I’ll be by the gates after school,” Selina told.

“You’re picking me up?” Aaron questioned.

“Who else is? Your father’s chauffeur?” Selina asked being sarcastic. “You should get your own car or something.”

“Why?” Aaron asked.

“Why?” Selina repeated.

Aaron smiled nervously and went on, “Well I was thinking you sending me like this is good.”

Selina rolled her eyes at him, “I have a life too. I’m not going to let my time be taken up by you.”

-_-

[Taipei University]

Aaron smiled at Selina once more and they sat in silence until they reached the university. Aaron thanked Selina and walked toward the staircase. He checked his watch to find that he was earlier than always. Aaron quietly roamed the hallways and stared out at the buildings nearby.

“Aaron!” a voice called.

Aaron turned to find Hebe rushing at him. He suddenly felt shocked to the core. He had actually forgotten all about Hebe. Not even one second of his thought was of her.

“What’s wrong? Why are you looking at me like that?” Hebe asked.

“Nothing,” Aaron lied.

Hebe frowned at him and grabbed his hand suddenly feeling something weird she looked down to find a ring on his hand.

“Why are you wearing that?” Hebe asked.

Aaron looked down at his hand not sure if he felt panicked. All he knew was he felt bad for not remembering her.

“My father gave it to me,” Aaron lied.

“Why are you wearing it on that finger?” Hebe continued with her questions.

“Oh…because I like it there,” Aaron lied again.

“But that’s the ring finger…” Hebe told.

Aaron smiled, “I just like it there.”

Hebe looked at his hand once more and turned to look up at Aaron, “I tried calling your house over break, but they said you moved. What do they mean? Why would you move out of your father’s house? Are you hiding something?”

Aaron pressed his lips, “Yes. I moved out. My father lent me a house so I moved into it for independence that’s all.”

“Oh really? How come you never told me? It got me thinking scary thoughts,” Hebe told.

“Sorry,” Aaron said.

“It’s ok. Lets go,” Hebe said grabbing Aaron’s hand.

Aaron later sighed heavily as he dropped his bag onto the ground and got into his desk. The only fact he could not get over was he still had a girlfriend.

“Something wrong?” a girl asked.

Aaron turned to look at the girl next to him, “No.”

Aaron turned back to face the front then frowned and turned back to the girl.

“Are you new?” asked Aaron.

“Finally! Someone noticed!” the girl exclaimed. “Do I look Chinese or what? No one’s noticed that I’m different!”

“Then what are you?” Aaron asked then quickly apologized. “I didn’t mean it that way.”

“Of course,” the girl went on, “my name’s Sun Mi. I’m an exchange student from Korea.”

Aaron’s mouth seemed to drop open.

“You’re surprised?” Sun Mi wondered.

“No…but you’re taking a Chinese literature class,” Aaron told.

Sun Mi smiled, “I’m just trying it out.”

“But your Chinese is pretty good,” Aaron pointed out.

“Oh really? Thanks!” Sun Mi smiled happily. “But hey if I need help sometimes would you mind teaching me? You’d be big help since everyone else just stares at me and walks away.”

“Maybe because they think you’re a little weird,” Aaron told, “but in a good way.”

“Oh…” Sun Mi smiled again.