Desire 5

All I Want...

“Me too then,” Mr. Yan said.

As the waiter left Aaron turned to look at his dad.

“Dad did you already discuss the wedding plans with the Rens?” asked Aaron.  

“About that,” Mr. Yan suddenly recalled, “they’re here. We’ll talk about it while we eat.”

Aaron turned to see Selina walking behind her parents. As her parents sat down by Mr. Yan she decided she was left to sit next to Aaron. Aaron glanced at her unhappy eyes and turned away. The waiter soon returned to take their orders. Aaron watched as Selina chose a dish for herself and realized that she didn’t care about her manners because she was being forced to do this with no choice. Aaron smiled to himself when he figured they were having the same feelings.

“Why aren’t you talking to Aaron?” asked Mr. Ren turning away from his conversation with Mr. Yan.

“I heard your dad gave you a new project. Did you hold a meeting today? Find any interesting ideas?” asked Mr. Yan.

Selina looked up at them and smiled, “I’m just a bit tired.”

“You should have drunk some coffee before we came then,” Mrs. Ren told.

Selina felt like rolling her eyes but decided to hold herself back from doing so. She hated herself for being so aware of her surrounding and trying to save her parent’s faces.

“I heard drinking coffee in the middle of the day is bad,” Aaron piped up.

“Oh really?” asked Mr. Ren. “How old are you again Aaron?”

“22,” Aaron replied.

“They’re four years part! Selina’s behind in school because she joined the company and took off for a few years,” Mr. Ren explained.

Aaron decided to glance at Selina however she did not have any response. Aaron turned back to the adults and smiled.

“So when are you planning to join your father’s business Aaron?” questioned Mrs. Ren.

“Maybe after I graduate,” Aaron replied.

“That’s too long a wait,” Mr. Ren said, “why don’t you join after this year? That way you’d get more experience and you’ll be able to take time to adapt.”

“He doesn’t need to join so early,” Selina finally spoke up as she begun toying with a piece of napkin. “If he starts early he’ll fall behind in his studies. It’s not a great thing to start working and graduate after your friends.”

“Why are you saying that Selina?” asked Mrs. Ren.

“Oh I’m just warning him or else he’ll just gradually turn into something like me,” Selina said calmly.

Aaron suddenly felt his heart soften for her. Was it because he felt sorry for her?

“Selina,” her father said in a warning tone.

“It’s all right,” Mr. Yan said speaking up for Selina, “in fact she’s very right about this. Starting work in the business is a heavy workload. Aaron can wait until he graduates. I heard you’re finished after this semester Selina.”

Selina nodded, “Two weeks from now then I’ll be out of school.”

“That’s great. You must be very excited,” Mr. Yan said.

“Don’t you get a week off after that?” asked Mrs. Ren. “That’s perfect! We can hold the wedding that weekend! I’ve already found a perfect house for the two of you.”

“Wedding?” Selina and Aaron asked in unison however Selina sounded more angry than surprised.

“Yes wedding,” Mrs. Ren said. “I’ve already booked a hotel to hold the wedding.”

Selina took a breath of air to suppress her anger.

“Are you alright with that Selina?” Mrs. Ren asked in an “I win” tone.

“Yes mom,” Selina said quietly.

“I hope we’re not rushing this for you Aaron,” Mr. Yan said.

Aaron shook his head no.

“I’m sorry for the wait on the food,” the waiter said finally coming by.

-_-

[In the car]

Aaron stared out of the window and watched as cars passed them by. He bit lightly onto his forefinger getting lost into thoughts.

“Are the Rens nice?” asked Aaron.

“Why are you asking that? You’ve seen them for yourself,” Mr. Yan told.

“Maybe they’re just being nice for an image,” Aaron said, “it seems like they push Selina around a lot. I don’t know maybe it’s just me.”

“Do you like her?” Mr. Yan asked. “Selina I mean.”

Aaron let his thoughts slip away as he turned to his father, “Every time she talks she always says mean things.”

“Maybe it’s because she feels awkward around us,” Mr. Yan suggested. “Anyway thanks for doing this Aaron.”

“I’m your son, dad. I can do anything for you,” Aaron replied.

“I wish your mother could see how grown up you are right now,” Mr. Yan said.

-_-

[Ren Household]

Selina set her purse down onto the table and walked toward the fridge to get a cup of water.

“A house? A wedding in two weeks? Sure you’re very generous,” Selina complained to herself about her mother.

Selina let out a snort and sat down at the table.

“He looks completely like a kid. Not reliable at all,” Selina mumbled to herself, “I must be the world’s biggest loser or something to be able to end up like this.”