Desire 10

All I Want...

-_-

[Maple Hotel]

Large, tall flowers were everywhere. There were also a bunch of tables set up. It was all designed to Mrs. Ren’s likings. People were already starting to gather inside. Mr. Ren was standing outside by the hallway greeting the guests.  

-_-

[Selina’s make up room]

Selina stared at herself in the mirror as the make up stylist stepped away.

“How do you like it?” the make up stylist questioned.

“Sure. It looks nice,” Selina nodded.

“You look so beautiful Selina!” Mrs. Ren exclaimed. “I’m so excited!”

Selina felt herself sink in disappointment inside.

-_-

[Aaron’s dressing room]

Aaron tidied up his suit in front of the mirror.

“Is it ok like this dad?” Aaron asked.

“Your mother knows best with these stuff,” Mr. Yan said walking up to Aaron, “I think it looks great. You look just like me when I got married.”

Aaron smiled.

-_-

[Maple Hotel]

Aaron walked around with his father. Together they greeted the guests and shook hands with the other men.

Danson entered through the front doors and looked around. Soon enough the priest made his way up to the stage and gave his short speech. As music played Danson turned to watch Selina walk down the aisle with a blank face.

“As we unite thee two together…” the priest went on.

Danson turned toward the groom to only see his back. He then remembered that Selina never told him who she was marrying. Now Danson was filled with curiosity. A second later Selina and Aaron turned to face each other. Danson felt as if a lightning had just struck him. Aaron? The underclassman? Danson suddenly remembered the day Aaron had come up to Selina wondering if she was free for lunch. Danson couldn’t believe his eyes. He watched as Selina and Aaron put on their wedding rings. The world froze and spun around them.

“Don’t they just make a perfect couple?” asked Grandpa Yan from his wheelchair. “What a beautiful daughter in law. Aaron is so lucky.”

Danson gritted his teeth unable to watch anymore. He turned around and walked out.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s New House]

“Isn’t it nice? The first time I saw it I knew it was perfect for the two of you,” Mrs. Ren ranted on.

Selina and Aaron had been escorted there right after their wedding. They had not changed out of their wedding clothes yet. They walked inside to view the living room first. The kitchen was directly behind it. The hallway toward the washing and drying machine were in the back hallway to the left. The hallway leading to the storage closet was to the back right. The long stairs were by the right wall. Upstairs were two rooms. While one was empty the other one was highly decorated.  

“We’ve packed up your clothes for you two. If you still have any other belongings you can go back to retrieve them,” Mrs. Ren told. “Selina don’t you think this is beautiful? The curtains are just so pretty!”

Selina glanced around feeling that having a home of theirs was a little overboard, but at least she’d be away from her parents. Selina walked toward a box and ripped it open grabbing a jeans and a shirt. She walked toward the bathroom and shut the door.

“What’s with her? She should be happy,” Mrs. Ren said as Selina shut the door. “Don’t get too angry with her Aaron. She throws tantrums a lot.”

“Oh…” was all Aaron was able to say.

He knew Selina must be upset. From seeing her yesterday he realized her parents were pushing her against a wall every time. Of course he knew she was out drinking, but he wasn’t sure of what he could do for her. Maybe if he asked she’d get angry. Marrying was a bigger risk for her than for him.  

As soon as Selina changed she found herself staring hard at herself in the mirror. She’d let the day go by and beared with the ceremony. She almost couldn’t believe herself. Once more everything was her parents’ way. Angry tears pushed their way out. She wondered to herself how long she’d let them do this. She was ruining her own life as well as Aaron’s. How would she be able to live with him? Would she have to take care of him like a kid? How would her life be from now on? Selina turned to look at her wedding dress feeling pained.  

“She’ll be out soon. I guess I’ll leave you two alone now. I have other business to take care of later. Make sure to be nice to Selina,” Mrs. Ren said with a smile.

“Should I walk you out?” asked Aaron.

“There’s no need for that,” Mrs. Ren told.

Aaron nodded, “Bye. Have a safe trip back.”

Mrs. Ren smiled and headed downstairs. Aaron stood for a while then walked toward his boxes and opened them finding all of his clothes, his school bag, and almost everything he owned in his room. As he began organizing the bathroom door opened and Selina walked out. She set her wedding dress beside her and sat down on the bed. She watched Aaron for a while. Noticing this Aaron stopped and turned to look at Selina.

“I haven’t had a chance to say this but you looked pretty today,” Aaron told.

They were silent for a moment again.

“Are you tired?” Aaron questioned and before he could go on the doorbell rang.

He looked toward the bedroom door then he and Selina turned to look at each other. As the doorbell rang again Aaron got up and headed downstairs. Curious as to who it was Selina got up from the bed and headed downstairs.

“Hi!” two voices shouted in unison.

Aaron stared at the buff man and his petite wife standing beside him. They were holding a cake together.

“We heard you just got married today neighbor!” the girl said with big eyes.

Selina appeared behind Aaron as she glanced at the girl and her husband.  

“There she is!” the girl said. “She’s so pretty! You two make such a great couple! Don’t you think so Chunnie?” asked the girl.

“Sure Ella,” Chun replied.

Ella smiled and Selina awkwardly smiled back.

“Can we come in?” Ella asked looking up at Aaron.

“Oh yea sorry,” Aaron said and opened the door wider for them.

“How old are you two?” questioned Ella curiously.

Selina was silent for a moment then forced herself to answer, “I’m 26. Aaron’s 22.”

Ella became silent then started laughing out loud, “Don’t worry age isn’t a bad thing! They say there’s no boundary to love right Chunnie?”

“Oh yea…” Chun answered shyly.

“That just means that when you grow old Aaron will still be around.” Ella told. “So when I grow old Chunnie will be dead before me.”

“Is that a good thing?” questioned Chun.

“Of course! I can get myself a young boyfriend while you’re in your grave!” Ella started laughing loudly and Selina wondered if she was supposed to join in.

She smiled unsurely and chuckled a little.

“Where should I put the cake?” Ella asked.

“In the kitchen is fine,” Selina replied.

“You said your husband’s name is Aaron? What about yours?” Ella questioned.

“Selina…” Selina replied.

“That’s a cute name. Right Chunnie?” questioned Ella.

Chun smiled nervously, “Yes Ella.”

Ella then made her way into the kitchen. Selina stood with the guys for a moment and walked after Ella. Aaron and Chun stood in silence.

Aaron first turned to Chun extending his hand out, “I’m Aaron.”

Chun shook his hand, “Wu Zun, but you can call me Chun.”

Aaron smiled, “Your wife is amusing.”

“Yea I know,” Chun smiled back, “I think she’s too talkative sometimes.”

Selina walked into the kitchen to find Ella looking around in the drawers.

“Do you guys have a knife anywhere?” questioned Ella.

Selina turned and went to search inside all of the drawers.

“I don’t know where my mom put them or if we have any,” Selina told.

“Hah! I found it!” Ella said grabbing one out.

She walked over to the sink to rinse it then walked toward the cake.

As she began her cutting she asked, “So have you and Aaron done it?”

Selina glanced around the kitchen then turned to Ella confused, “Have we done what?”

Ella smiled, “You don’t need to be shy about this. I have a magazine with very good tips. Chunnie enjoys it every time…”

“Woah! No!” Selina suddenly shouted. “I get where you’re going now but I’d never do that with Aaron.”

“Why? You’re supposed to do this when you get married,” Ella told.

“I think you’re overrated for me,” Selina said. “I’ll…” Selina went on pointing to the living room.

Ella smiled and nodded. Selina quickly stepped out of the kitchen to find Aaron and Chun sitting in silence. As she stepped into the living room Aaron turned around.

“What did you and Ella talk about?” questioned Aaron.

Selina nervously smiled and glanced at Chun.

“Hey do you guys want cake?” questioned Ella. “I forgot to tell you Chun made the cake. It’s very good!”

“Ella forced me to cook,” Chun admited.

“Sure,” Aaron replied to Ella and walked into the kitchen.

Selina stood glued to her spot not wanting to go back into the  kitchen. She did not want to hear of Ella speaking to her about that. Then it occurred to her that Ella might be speaking to Aaron about it. How embarrassing it’d be! Selina found herself rushing into the kitchen to find them sitting at the table already.

“Are you going to eat some cake with us?” questioned Aaron.

Selina took a sigh of relief yet also felt embarrassed. She walked over and sat in the chair next to Aaron. They listened to Chun and Ella’s tale of how they got together. It turned out they were high school sweethearts, but had broken up before college and reunited later on.

“Bye!” Selina shouted in a fake happy tone as Ella and Chun walked off.

Selina shut the door and took a huge gulp of air.

“I was wondering when they’d finally be gone,” Selina said.

Aaron chuckled from behind.

“They sure did talk a lot though,” Aaron told.

Selina turned around to look at him her mind coming to a blank. Unsure of what to say Selina headed up the stairs. Aaron got up from the couch and followed Selina up the stairs. Selina was tidying up the bed when Aaron finally reached the door. Selina did not stop at what she was doing. It was finally coming to them both to worry about how they’d sleep.