Desire 7

All I Want...

-_-

[Yan household]

Aaron flipped through all the books he had borrowed from the library for his and Selina’s report. He was about to begin taking down some notes when the doorbell rang. Since the maids were out grocery shopping Aaron got up and went to the front door. As he opened the door he raised his eyebrows in surprise. Selina looked back at him unexpectedly.

“I brought over some papers for your father,” Selina explained.

Aaron looked at the folders and took them, “Thanks.”

Selina turned around and started to walk away.

“Would you like to come in?” Aaron asked.

Selina came to a pause. She really needed to go to the bathroom too. Aaron stared at Selina’s back hoping she would stay. He was starting to feel hungry and he thought maybe he could get her to make something for him to eat.

Selina followed Aaron inside his house. She wasn’t amazed with anything as his house was almost like hers. Everything was clean and polished. Nothing more for her to expect.

“Could I use the bathroom? I need to wash my hands,” Selina lied yet feeling a little embarrassed.

“It’s down the hallway to your left,” Aaron directed.

“Oh,” Selina said feeling strange and nervous.

She turned quickly and made her way down the hallway. Selina took a breath of relief as she glanced at herself in the mirror and washed her hands. As she opened the door she found the hallways were empty and the house was so silent. Selina made her way down the hallway and looked around feeling lost. This hallway extending into that hallway and that hallway into another. Did they ever end at all?

She decided to walk around to explore for herself. She stared at the pictures on the walls and stared at the shelves full of thick books. At the end of the hallway she found that the door to the office was open. When she glanced in she saw Aaron sitting behind a desk with a bunch of books piled in front of him.

“Did you get lost?” asked Aaron looking up.

Selina looked behind her and turned back to Aaron, “Where’s your father?”

“He took my grandpa out for a checkup,” Aaron told, “grandpa’s been feeling sick the past few days.”

“Oh…” was all Selina managed.

“You can come in,” Aaron told.

Selina cleared and walked in feeling more awkward. While Selina stood near the desk she took the chance to glance down at the books. Picking up a thick book and she skimmed through it.

“Ways to increase company sales,” she read, “this book won’t do any good.”

Aaron looked up with a pencil in his hands, “You’ve read it?”

“I did a whole presentation on this book. It’s useless and doesn’t help at all. It’s filled with plain ideas. The best selling book? They should have those words out!” Selina said staring at the words on the front then stopped and looked at Aaron finally remembering where she was. “Excuse me.”

Aaron smiled, “I’ve skimmed through it too. It’s pretty boring.”

Selina slowly set the book down, “Are you working on the report?”

“Yea. I’ve got five pages down,” Aaron replied.  

Selina remained silent while she stood by the desk. Aaron also remained sitting silently silently trying to think of things to write down. Finally his stomach rumbled and the two turned to look at each other. Selina was amazed at how loud his stomach was. On the other hand Aaron felt embarrassed.

“I’m hungry…the maids are gone and I’m not good with cooking…” Aaron said.

Selina stared at him wondering where he was going.

“If you don’t mind could you find something for me to eat?” Aaron questioned.

Selina found herself searching the whole kitchen for things she would be able to put together into a meal. She found pots and pans and a little bit of food in the fridge. She cut up the little meat and the veggies she could get and mixed them together. Aaron sat at the table and watched her like a little boy watching his mother cook. His eys followed her every movement and he suddenly felt glad that someone else was making a meal for him other than the maids. He recalled watching his mother cook when he was young, but ever since she passed away no other woman had entered the kitchen. After a few minutes Selina walked over with a plate of food cooked in soy sauce and some other sauces. Aaron quickly grabbed his chopsticks and took a bite out of it without hesitating.

He nodded and smiled up at Selina, “It’s really good!”

Selina didn’t look at Aaron, but rather stared at the plate. She had learned cooking from the cook at her house who had passed away a while ago.

“Oh wait,” Aaron said as he set his chopsticks down and went over to a drawer then walked back and handed a pair of chopsticks to Selina. “Here you eat too.”

“I’m not hungry,” Selina replied.

Aaron grabbed Selina’s hand and shoved the chopsticks into them, “It’s better to have a meal with someone than alone. It’d be a shame if you just stare at this yummy plate.”

Selina looked at Aaron who smiled back.

“Eat,” Aaron urged.

Selina stared at the plate feeling weird that she was eating food out of someone else’s plate. Selina moved her hands forward and soon found herself chomping on the food greedily. Soon they came to only one piece left on the plate. Selina swallowed down her hunger and set her chopsticks down.

“You can have it,” Selina told Aaron, “a kid should eat more in order to grow up.”

“I’m not a kid. I can get the maids to make me something to eat when they come back,” Aaron told. “You eat.”

“You were the one who was hungry,” Selina pointed out.

Without saying anymore Aaron grabbed the last piece and Selina watched with regret. Aaron quickly shoved it toward her.

“A woman is usually weaker than a man. You need more nutrition,” Aaron told holding it in front of her.

Selina stared at it as if it were a bug.

“Open your mouth,” Aaron told.

Selina opened and Aaron put the food inside with a smile as if he were feeding a baby.

“You look younger than your age you know?” Aaron said as he placed the chopsticks down.

“You don’t have to say that to make me feel better,” Selina told, “you’ll be my age someday anyhow.”

Aaron smiled and opened his mouth to say something more, but the ringing of Selina’s cell phone stopped him.

“Hello? Oh hey, Danson. You really choose random times to call…” Selina went on with her conversation.

Aaron tried not to pay attention to their conversation as he played with the chopsticks.

“I’ll be going now,” Selina said as she closed her cell phone. “Bye.”

“I’ll see you tomorrow then.” Aaron told.

Aaron watched as Selina left through the front door and smiled. He was amazed that she was the first girl he’d ever invited inside his house. He couldn’t help, but keep smiling.

“Did someone come visit?” Aaron’s grandpa asked as he walked through the kitchen door. “I saw a car leaving.”

“You’re back,” Aaron said turning around. “How were the results?”

“Your grandpa caught a slight flu,” Mr. Yan answered, “your grandpa mentioned someone just left?”

“Selina brought over some papers for you. I set them on your table,” Aaron replied.

“Selina?” asked Mr. Yan.

“It looks like you two ate,” Grandpa Yan said looking at the empty plate on the table.

“I was hungry,” Aaron told.

“Selina made it?” asked Grandpa Yan. “How was it?”

Aaron laughed nervously as he scratched the back of his head, “It was good.”

Grandpa Yan smiled, “A man will always favor his wife’s cooking.”

“It’s true Aaron,” Mr. Yan agreed.

Aaron smiled once more as he glanced at the two pairs of chopsticks and the empty plate.  

-_-

[Taipei University]

Aaron awoke earlier than usual. Already the halls were already full of happy chatter. Aaron walked around from corner to corner wondering if he’d be able to sight Selina.

“Aaron!” Hebe shouted as she jump grabbed his arm.

Aaron turned toward her surprised and alarmed.

“Hebe.” Aaron said.

Hebe frowned at him, “What is it? You’re not happy to see me?”

“Oh…it’s not that…” Aaron said and looked around him once more.

“What are you doing? Walk me to class,” Hebe said tugging on his arm. Aaron turned back to Hebe and smiled.

Aaron quickly rushed out of his class and waited in the same hallway for Selina to appear. As she walked out of her class Aaron quickly walked up to her.

“Hey Selina do you want to go eat lunch together?” questioned Aaron.

Before Selina could reply Danson jumped out from nowhere to stand behind her.

“Going out for lunch?” Danson asked. “Selina already promised me underclassman. But want to join us?”

“Aaron!” Hebe shouted rushing up behind Aaron.

Selina glanced at Hebe and found herself thinking at how much Hebe looked like a teenager.

“What are you doing?” Hebe asked then glanced at Selina and Danson. “Who are they?”

“Want to join us too underclassman?” questioned Danson.

Hebe raised an eyebrow happily, “Really?”