Desire 41

All I Want...

“Why can’t we eat here? It’s the same anyways,” Sun Mi told. “Besides your place is a mess.”

Sun Mi took the bag from him and dug through the contents inside. She pulled out some crossients and a can of juice. She made herself comfortable as she started breakfast.

“This year’s summer is so boring!” Danson complained as he chewed on his bun.

“Please…keep your mouth closed. No one wants to see what’s inside,” Sun Mi said making a face.

“You mean…like this?” Danson asked opening his mouth up for her to see.

Sun Mi gave a shout and threw her sofa pillow at him.

“There’s no more to it is there?” Sun Mi questioned.

“To what?” Danson asked.

“The thing about Selina getting married. Are you sure she wants to get married so fast?” Sun Mi asked.

Danson stared at Sun Mi for a long time then shrugged.

“I’m not sure. All I know is that she agreed. No particular reason that I know of,” Danson replied.

“She doesn’t have a reason for marrying him?” asked Sun Mi. “So she doesn’t love or like him? Then why say yes?”

“Why are you asking me?” asked Danson.

“Cause you talk to them,” Sun Mi went on.

Danson sighed, “I can’t answer all of your questions. I haven’t dug that deep into this topic besides Selina would like it if I’m not nosy. All I know is that they’re getting married soon. That’s all.”

“No more?” Sun Mi asked.

“Not that I know of…” Danson told leaving out the details of Selina’s change around Jiro. “Why?”

Sun Mi kept her eyes on Danson for a moment then looked away, “I told Aaron about it. He seems really bummed out and it makes me feel really bad.”

“You told Aaron?” Danson repeated.

Sun Mi nodded her head, “He’s so sad. I feel sympathy for him. Hey, don’t you think relationships are so unfair?”

“What do you mean?” asked Danson.

“It’s obvious Aaron likes Selina a lot, but Selina doesn’t reciprocate the feelings, and to make things worse she’s getting married which makes Aaron feel pained,” Sun Mi went on. “Wait…we don’t even know if Selina likes him or not.” Sun Mi smiled. “She’s never said anything about it has she? Great!”

“I guess you can keep yourself company,” Danson commented and got up. “What a weirdo.”

“What?” Sun Mi asked turning to look at Danson before he could make it out the door. “I never asked you to come in the first place.”

“This is called generosity. Me buying you breakfast and keeping you company,” Danson told. “I’m like a tape recorder that has to listen to your every complaints.”

“Tape recorder? Generousity? Are you superman?” Sun Mi joked then gave a loud laugh which caused Danson to frown at her. “Get out!”

Danson gave a loud sigh as the door slammed behind him.

“I knew that was coming,” he told himself then walked toward his apartment.

Sun Mi glared at the door wondering why she was always wasting her time bickering with Danson.

“Always bothering me. You must have no life!” Sun Mi said then turned away from the door.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

A few days had passed by and Aaron’s mood had not taken a swing for the better. Hebe had tried and tried to persuade him into talking to her about what was bothering him, but all had failed. He sat there lifeless on the sofa staring at the TV and all Hebe could do was sit on the other sofa and watch him.

She was confused at why the man that had come was telling Aaron about Selina’s upcoming wedding. What did it have to do with Aaron? Didn’t Aaron already let go of her? Hebe was curious about the identity of that man and how he was related to Selina and Aaron. Hebe knew there were a lot of things Aaron wasn’t telling her, but what could she do?

-_-

[Hebe’s House]

Hebe walked up the driveway to her house. She’d been living alone for quite a while since her parents had gone abroad to celebrate their anniversary.

“You called?” a voice asked as the girl stood up from the stair steps she was sitting on.

“You got here fast,” Hebe said with a smile.

Since Hebe was the only child she’d often spent her childhood hanging out with her younger cousin Mei Mei. Now when she was alone and had no one to consult with about her problems she’d often gone to Mei Mei.

Hebe set a cup of juice in front of her cousin and also grabbing a cup for herself sat next to Mei Mei.

“I’m guessing it’s Aaron again?” asked Mei Mei before taking a sip of the juice.

Hebe nodded without answering.

Mei Mei made a face and nudged Hebe, “I knew it. It’s always about him. So tell me what’s wrong. What’s been bothering you that’s enough to kill you?”

“When we first started to get to know each other I knew he liked me a lot, but I took it for granted. Am I being punished for that now?” Hebe asked.

“You love him now don’t you?” questioned Mei Mei.

Hebe nodded.

“If he liked you a lot then why would he dislike you now?” asked Mei Mei.

Hebe rubbed her head. Mei Mei wasn’t updated about the things that had happened between her and Aaron. It felt frustrating and it made her feel mad that she would have to bring it up again.

“Aaron got married the week after first semester ended,” Hebe told.

“What? How could he?! Why?! I’ll tear his neck off!” Mei Mei said siding with Hebe’s feelings.

Hebe shook her head, “She was pretty and it made me jealous yet I envied her. You know what’s ironic?” Mei Mei waited for her to go on. “We were all in the same class first semester.”

“Hebe…” Mei Mei began.

“I was shocked, unhappy, sad, and angry. It’s natural for me to feel that right?” questioned Hebe.

Mei Mei put a comforting hand on her cousin’s shoulder.

“He just seemed to lose feelings for me after that,” Hebe told, “it was like she was the one who was always occupying his mind 24/7...and I was the last thing he’d think of. He broke every one of his promises. He was never like that before. Aaron changed so suddenly I felt afraid. I still love him all the same, but it hurts.”

“It’s ok,” Mei Mei said rubbing Hebe’s back, “you can do better Hebe.”

“I’m so scared of letting him go. I don’t want to feel the pain that follows Mei.” Hebe admitted. “They divorced a while ago and Aaron got back with me…but it just doesn’t feel the same. He still spaces out and it feels like it’s only his body that’s with me. Am I that bad?”

Mei smiled softly, “Then…do you feel happiness when you’re with him? When you’re with someone you argue and you cry then you make up, but couples like that are still feeling happy when they see each other. Do you feel happy when you’re with him?”

Hebe suddenly realized that those feelings weren’t present. She was the only one putting in effort while Aaron was feeling some other type of pain. Of course, he was too nice to yell at her. She’d often push away his words when she felt them coming. Tears rolled down her cheeks at last. It’d been a one sided love all along.

“He still loves her…” Hebe cried.

Mei Mei pulled Hebe against her shoulder and patted her back.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

A couple nights passed by and yet all Hebe could do was watch Aaron. She’d done her best to make him eat and talk, but not much had progressed. Finally one night came when Aaron poured out his feelings.

“Do you want to leave or would you like to come along?” asked Aaron.

Hebe was by the stove beginning to prepare dinner.

“Where are you going?” Hebe questioned.

Aaron became silent for a few seconds then spoke up, “Selina has tried this many times to forget her stress. It’s going to be my first time trying it.”

Hebe watched Aaron calmly until he got up from the table. Once Hebe could hear the door open she quickly walked out of the kitchen.

“Aaron! Wait! You didn’t eat yet! Where are you going?” Hebe questioned as she slipped on her shoes and followed Aaron out.