Desire 22

All I Want...

Aaron shook his head, “Nothing…go on.”

Selina frowned and continued, “He bribed me with candy so I followed him. He took me to a small shed in the middle of no where. When I began to cry he promised me he’d take me home, but he never did. I was so scared thinking I’d never see my family ever again. He tied me up and locked me in the attic, but he got busted the next day when the cops came. So now I don’t just speak to any random strangers.”

“And you don’t like being alone because you might get abducted?” Aaron asked.

Selina laughed, “No because I fear I won’t see loved ones again.”

“Do I count as one?” Aaron asked.

That question left the two in silence. Selina quickly turned away from his eyes and laughed nervously.

“Why would you ask that?” Selina asked.

Aaron laughed nervously too feeling embarrassed, “I was just asking for fun.”

Selina began to feel worried that maybe she’d disappointed him.

“Maybe,” Selina replied hoping that would make him feel a little better.

Aaron smiled as he placed a band aid across her hand.

“You can go back to sleep now,” Aaron told as he got up.

Aaron closed the door behind him and leaned against it wondering if maybe meant yes.

-_-

[A store back in Taipei]

Sun Mi was walking around the aisles slowly searching for her special pack of barbequed shrimps. Back in Korea she had always eaten this and it wasn’t until yesterday that a classmate had told her they sold this item too. Sun Mi felt so happy because it had almost been a week since she’d eaten it and she felt so homesick. Sun Mi came a to a pause as she stared at the packaged shrimp. Taking a deep breath Sun Mi hurried forward, but as she grabbed it another person’s hand also took hold of it. Frowning Sun Mi looked up just to frown deeper.

“I got here first take your hands off,” Danson demanded.

“But I’m a girl,” Sun Mi told.

“Even if you were a guy I got here first,” Danson said.

“I grabbed it first,” Sun Mi tried.

“Just give it,” Danson said as he tried to pry her hand off with his free hand.

“How rude!” Sun Mi commented.

Sun Mi used her free hand to get Danson’s hand off. After a while of quarreling Sun Mi quickly pushed Danson away and grabbed the packaged shrimp tucking it into her jacket close to her chest. Danson made a face and bit his bottom lip. Sun Mi smiled and skipped off in victory.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

The door opened and closed. Selina walked over to the couch and dropped onto it. She felt exhausted especially after haven driven all the way back home. Aaron went upstairs to put their bags into the bedroom and slowly came down soon after.

“Do you want some food?” questioned Aaron.

Selina rose her head up from her arm and glanced at her watch. It was nearly midnight already and she didn’t feel like doing anything.

“It’s too late to eat,” Selina replied, “I’m just going to sleep.”

Selina rose from the couch and started up the stairs coming to a stop. She turned to look at Aaron who quickly stared back.

“Don’t sleep on the couch anymore. You won’t be able to sleep comfortably,” Selina told hoping that would send him the message it was ok they share a room now.

“So we can share the bed now?” Aaron asked.

Selina bit her lip and Aaron made a face to himself realizing he had made it sound awkwardly strange.

“I mean…is it ok we can share a room now?” asked Aaron.

“I’m going to sleep first,” Selina said and headed to the bedroom.

They spent the Sunday in and early the next morning Selina had already awoken Aaron to get ready for school.

-_-

[Taipei University]

Aaron was walking around early in the hallways. Once again to his surprise he had forgotten all about Hebe. It wasn’t until when he got to class that Sun Mi reminded him.

“Your girlfriend was awfully angry when she found out you weren’t in school for the whole week,” Sun Mi stated. “She was really angry.”

All Aaron could do was feel bad over it, but to his surprise he didn’t feel guilty toward her at all. As the two made their way to the cafeteria they encountered Danson and it was all beginning to feel like a routine to Aaron. Going early to school, getting yelled at by Hebe, and running into Danson in the hallways. Danson came to a stop and stared at the two with mean eyes and walked away without a word. Sun Mi glared back at Danson and didn’t hold back on her feelings.

“That jerk! He’s so cocky. You should teach him a lesson,” Sun Mi grumbled.

Aaron frowned at Sun Mi wondering what had gotten into her. From all he remembered he hadn’t seen Danson do anything wrong to her. They headed down the stairs and Aaron froze in his footsteps as he recognized Hebe at the bottom. She had her arms crossed over her chest and she looked up at the two unhappily. Sun Mi glanced at Aaron and excused herself first. As Sun Mi went off Aaron slowly headed toward Hebe.

“You said you’d call me,” Hebe told. “There was never once when you didn’t keep your word.”

Aaron kept silent wondering how he should put things into words.

“You come back with a strange attitude and then you go missing for a week without an explanation. You used to tell me everything,” Hebe went on, “are you hiding something from me?”

“Uh…well…I think you should listen to me first,” Aaron tried.

“I’m disappointed in you,” Hebe went on. “Do you consciously realize that you’re continuously ignoring me?”

“I…well…yes,” Aaron admitted.

“You what?” Hebe asked as her voice got louder.

Aaron bit his lip as he forced the words out, “I know I am…I can’t help it. Cause there’s always something else…that just automatically comes first.”

“What else can there be that’s more important than me?” questioned Hebe.

Aaron turned to look at the ground now with a soft expression as Selina popped up into his mind. Hebe’s angry expression suddenly disappeared as what she had feared entered upon her mind.

“There’s another girl?” questioned Hebe.

Aaron could not reply but look at Hebe. She couldn’t help, but just laugh.

“You’re kidding me right? You’re just pulling my strings right? Right Aaron? It’s not true?” Hebe tried her emotions suddenly becoming mixed.

“Hebe I…” Aaron tried.

“Ok talk over. You’re just trying to scare me. I don’t mind if you can’t call. You must be busy with your father’s business right? Lets go eat. I’m getting hungry,” Hebe said as she grabbed Aaron’s hand pushing everything else out of her mind.

Aaron followed silently feeling even worse.