Desire 46

All I Want...

They sat there for hours and lost track of time. Aaron’s tears had gone by and they sat with an uncomfortable silence. Aaron wanted to hug her, but he wasn’t sure of how to express it.

The ER doors opened and the doctor walked out in his green surgery outfit. He took off the mask that covered his face.

“Are you Rey Yan’s family members?” he questioned.

Aaron quickly got up and Selina followed him.

“I am,” Aaron told. “How is he? How’s my grandpa?”

“The surgery was successful and he should be feeling fine, but a bit weak right now,” the doctor explained, “we’re going to transfer him to a different private ward right now. You can visit him in an hour or so.”

“Thank you,” Aaron told.

Selina nodded towards the doctor and turned to Aaron with a smile, but the sad and half cold gaze he returned wiped the smile off her face. Selina bit her lip and turned as the doors opened again and there was Grandpa Yan asleep on the stretcher.

-_-

[Hospital Room]

Selina stood behind Aaron who was sitting by his grandpa. Grandpa Yan looked pale and overly tired. Was he not getting enough rest? Then she recalled the maid’s words. Was it because he had been thinking too much about their divorce that he hadn’t been able to get enough rest? Selina felt a sudden rush of guilt as she had already promised before that divorce wouldn’t be an option to her, but she had pulled back on her words. She couldn’t imagine at how disappointed Grandpa Yan had felt. Even with her sudden visits he looked a bit gloomy. He had said before he hadn’t wanted them to be like him. Selina let him down though.

The door opened and a nurse poked her head in with a clipboard tucked in her arm.

“Visiting times are over. You two can go home now so the patient can rest,” the nurse told kindly.

Aaron turned back to look at his grandpa and Selina noticed that the nurse wanted to push on.

“We’ll get ready to leave,” Selina told and smiled at the nurse.

The nurse looked at her then sighed and walked out.

-_-

[Hospital Hallway]

Selina paused by Aaron as he closed his grandpa’s door.

“Are you going home?” Selina asked.

Aaron answered with silence.

“I was just wondering…if I could visit the house…” Selina began not sure if she should ask to visit.

“It doesn’t matter to me,” Aaron replied and started down the hallway.

Selina stared at his back and smiled then started to follow.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Selina looked around as Aaron the lights. Everything was still the same. Not a thing was moved out of place and the house was clean as always. Aaron turned around to stare at her. He’d misunderstood her, that fact he knew well. But the fact that she would soon get married wouldn’t leave his mind. Even if she cared for him so what? If she cared enough she would cancel the wedding without hesitation right? Aaron shook his head knowing he was selfish to think that. Of course Selina had her own difficulties and whatever they were he didn’t want to know about any of it.

“When you leave please lock the door,” Aaron told, “if you’re hungry you can find something in the kitchen.”

With that Aaron hurried upstairs before he would pour out his own emotions. Selina watched him go up feeling a little disappointed, but what had she expected? Selina looked up the staircase and grabbed the railing making her way up.

Aaron was standing in their room looking around. Selina walked in and glanced at him then turned to look around. The one thing that caught her eye was the glass figure set on the bedside table.

“You found it?” Selina asked with a soft joyful smile on her face.

Aaron turned around to look at Selina then followed her eyes over to the glass figurine. He felt a little embarrassed that she’d seen it, but he dismissed those feelings quickly.

“Yea,” was all he muttered.

Selina looked around the room a little more trying to get some courage into her. Why did she feel so small now?

“If you’re hungry I can make something for you,” Selina offered.

“You can eat yourself,” Aaron refused.

“It doesn’t sound good eating alone,” Selina told, “besides we haven’t eaten together for a while now.”

“Why are you worrying about me?” Aaron asked.

Selina looked at him with those big eyes of hers. Aaron bit his lip and sighed.

“You can go home now,” Aaron told. “I don’t need you around.”

“But I want to be around,” Selina suddenly said then became very quiet as she realized what she’d just said.

“You don’t mean it,” Aaron said. “Just go…please.”

Selina stood attached to her spot.

Aaron pressed his lips then walked toward her, “Just go! I don’t want to get mad with you!”

“Why are you angry?” Selina asked.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were remarrying?” Aaron asked. “I hung onto the marriage like an idiot! I even ran around with hopes of seeing you! You let me hang in thin air when you’re already being romanced by someone else! Why couldn’t you tell me so I would have let you go earlier!”

Selina stared back at Aaron catching every single word that came out of his mouth. He looked at her tiredly as he felt his emotions swirl inside of him. He felt lost and sad and upset. Why couldn’t she be truthful with him?

“How’d you find out?” asked Selina knowing that that was the wrong question to ask.

Aaron looked at her frowning hard as he fought back the tear drops threatening to come out.

“Please leave,” Aaron told turning away.

Selina opened to say something, but nothing came out. Selina stared at Aaron for a while longer.

“I missed you you know that?” Selina said, her voice very soft. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, but I kept thinking how am I supposed to say it? It felt weird…”

Aaron didn’t reply. Selina reached her hand forward and placed it on his arm, but he quickly shoved it off. Selina stared at him starting to feel disappointed and sad. What could she do to make the situation better?

“Aaron…” Selina began then took a breath. “How can I not care? Didn’t you see all the stuff I’ve done for you? How can you only think from your point of view? Things were hard for me too!”

Aaron still didn’t turn to look at her.

“I’m sorry…I’m sorry this is all I can say to you now…but it hurt me too,” Selina told.

“At the bar…that night…why did you leave?” asked Aaron still not turning toward her.

Selina stayed quiet for a long time then finally spoke up, “Jiro came.”

“You left because of him?” asked Aaron in an accusing tone.

“Well if you’d told me how you felt when we were married maybe I would have had confidence to tell you how I felt!” Selina blurted out with pained tears at the corners of her eyes.

Aaron looked at her surprised.

“You’re stupid!” Selina shouted. “You said it all that night! How would you know if I would have rejected you? Everytime you kissed me haven’t you thought of why I never pushed you away?”

Aaron suddenly put his hands on her face and gave her a deep kiss. When he let go he pressed his forehead against hers. Selina could feel his warm breath land on her face.

“Enough…” Aaron said. “If you don’t leave now I don’t know what I’ll do to you…”

Aaron felt surprised as Selina put her arms around him. She smiled up at him and it made him feel delightfully warm all over.

“I’m not scared,” Selina told. “I love you too.”

Aaron gave her a peck on the forehead, “You’d better not regret this.”

“I won’t,” Selina replied.

Aaron gave her a peck on the cheek, “Don’t be sorry.”

“I won’t,” Selina smiled.

Aaron gave her a peck on the nose, “This is a promise you can’t break.”

“I promise I won’t break this promise,” Selina told.

“I still love you,” Aaron told then gave her a sweet kiss.