Desire 24

All I Want...

Aaron fell into a daze after that. He had never thought about how hard it was for Selina. He only knew that the marriage was hard for her to accept and it was only now he found out why. All he ever thought about was trying to make her happy, but was she ever truly happy throughout the time they were together? He had blocked the path to her happiness. How come he never noticed how hurt she was?

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Aaron opened the door and set his backpack down on the couch. Instead of sitting down he glanced around at all the walls. Memories of them had already been inscribed within the interiors of the house. Selina tried hard for him. She’d made sure he had everything. She even made sure that he had things she never had. For her Selina lacked a social life. She was only surrounded by work and pressure. Selina had let Aaron enjoy the free air and the fun in life. He felt guiltier as he thought of the hidden gaps in his memory. Then suddenly a flashback occurred to him. His legs hurried up the stairs into the bedroom. As soon as he opened the drawer he recognized that same picture he had found weeks ago. He turned the picture over to find both their names written on the back with a heart inbetween.

“Jiro…” Aaron repeated as he ran his hand over the names.

He turned the picture over and blocked Jiro’s face so that only Selina was visible. Aaron removed his thumb away from Jiro’s face and stared at the two of them. It was obvious they were happy just standing next to one another. He felt his heart ache heavily knowing that Selina was still waiting for him to return.

-_-

[Ren Enterprise]

Selina awoke with a knock on her office door. Without realizing she had fallen asleep on her piles of papers.

“Are you done with the papers yet?” her secretary asked.

“Huh?” Selina asked still half asleep.

-_-

[Aaron and Selina’s House]

Selina quickly opened the door and rushed into the house after realizing that she had forgotten to pick Aaron up. Had he walked all the way home from the university? She felt so guilty about having fallen asleep. Selina stopped as she noticed Aaron’s backpack on the couch. She felt relieved knowing that he was home.

“Aaron!” Selina shouted at the bottom of the stairs.

When he didn’t answer Selina made her way up and turned the bedroom light on. Shocking her she only found an empty room.

Selina rushed outside and rang Ella and Chun’s doorbell a dozen times before the door finally opened. Ella stood at the doorway with a wet towel around her head.

“Selina! What brings you here?” asked Ella.

Selina averted her eyes from Ella’s bright towel, “Have you seen Aaron around?”

“Aaron?” Ella asked while making a face. “No.”

“Ok…thanks,” Selina said.

“Lost your husband?” asked Ella.

Selina smiled, “You can say so.”

Selina turned around and headed onto the street. She went around the city going as far as her legs could run. After two hours of searching Selina returned back home hoping to find Aaron there. Selina could feel herself anticipating the sight of his cheerful face. She only returned to find the house in deep silence. Selina couldn’t help but fear for the worst. Maybe something happened to him…maybe something bad…Selina shook her head.

“Stay positive,” Selina thought to herself.

Selina cooked and sat at the table alone staring at the food in front of her. After a while of thinking she figured she wasn’t hungry and ended up throwing the food out. She sat around in the living room and stared at Aaron’s backpack. Without reason Selina opened his bag and took a look through his folders. She found his homework untouched. Selina went through his textbooks doing the homework for him and after a while she had fallen asleep.

It wasn’t until later that Selina heard the door open and close. As she had fallen asleep on the couch Selina could see that Aaron had not noticed her. She could make out his figure started toward the staircase. Selina quickly took a glance at her watch to find that it was early dawn. Selina got up quietly and the lights. Aaron stopped. He felt surprised and scared at the same moment, but didn’t show it.

“Where were you?” Selina asked.

“I was out,” Aaron replied.

“Well obviously,” Selina said. “Where did you go? Why weren’t you home?”

“I’m going to take a nap before going to school,” Aaron told and started up the stairs.

“You could have at least told me. I got scared,” Selina told. “Sorry I didn’t come to pick you up. I fell asleep at work.”

“It was good you didn’t come,” Aaron said before going up.

Selina was left to stand there frowning at his back. What was wrong with him?

In the morning Aaron woke up before Selina which had surprised her a lot. She didn’t know if he had eaten breakfast because he had already left before she awoke.

-_-

[Taipei Univeristy]

As the professor went over the answers from yesterday’s homework Aaron sat quietly in his desk still feeling sad about what he’d learned yesterday.

“Aaron,” Sun Mi whispered as she kicked the leg of his desk.

Aaron suddenly jumped out of his thoughts and turned to see Sun Mi pointing at her paper.

“The answer to question five,” the professor said.

Aaron quickly got out his folder and remembered that he had not touched his homework.

“But I…” Aaron began but looked down to find that all the questions were filled in.

Aaron became silent for a moment getting lost again in his thoughts.

“Aaron,” the professor droned on.

“Aaron!” Sun Mi shouted and this time kicked his leg.

Aaron made a noise and sat up straight then read off the answer.

“Correct,” the professor said giving him a warning glare.

Aaron sighed and slumped into his chair. Selina had done his homework for him. He felt happy, but yet the fact that she did not return his feelings swirled before his eyes.

“What is wrong with you?” questioned Sun Mi as she walked beside Aaron in the hallway.

Aaron did not reply and as he rose his head up he saw Danson standing not far away. Aaron averted his eyes and walked away in a different direction. Sun Mi followed Aaron’s gaze and glanced at Danson. Feeling that she was catching onto something Sun Mi quickly turned to follow Aaron.

-_-

[Ren Enterprise]

Selina was searching the internet for any ideas for the project her father had given her. Yet as she randomly clicked here and there she didn’t pay any attention at all. Aaron was acting weird and it was obvious to see. Had she done something wrong? Was it because she had spoken about Hebe? Or was it that he had told Hebe? Before going on with her questions her cell phone rang.

“Hello?” Selina answered.

“I’m going out with some friends to the library,” it was Aaron, “so don’t come to pick me up.”

“Are you working on a project?” Selina couldn’t help, but wonder.

“Anyways thanks for doing my homework,” Aaron said ignoring her question.

Aaron hung up not giving her a chance to go on.

“That’s the first,” Selina thought.

-_-

[The Theater]

Aaron slowly walked in to find Hebe waiting for him. It had been a while since he’d completed his role as a boyfriend to her. Why not do it now?