제 2.4 장: Pretty good for a newbie

Chrome Heart

Smoke seized me by the throat as soon as I entered the club. A unstoppable urge to cough took me. Haneul leaned to whisper something in my ear. Instinctively, I stepped back. I saw his smile disappear and I try to calm myself. I had to behave well with him. He had to convince his friend to vote in our favour.

I gave him a smile and he grabs my hand. I had to restrain myself not to remove it from his hold. He dragged me  to a VIP section. The music was less deafening but the smoke, much thicker. I smelled the air. No. It was not cigarette. I sighed internally and tried to imagine the aid that orphaned children would receive, the Nobel Prize that I will win, my triumphant return home and my face in all the news stations of the world.

  • Anna-yah

Haneul voice brought back me to reality and I blinked several times to get used to the darkness that surrounded us.

  • Jisang-ah, I told you that she was interesting.

I jumped. Park Jisang had arrived and... detailed me from head to toes, like an object to buy. Spontaneously, I pulled a little on my skirt. A slow smile drew on Jisang's lips. I really didn't like the glow that lighted in his eyes.

  • Sit down Anna-yah... so you were dying to meet me?

I threw an oblique look at Haneul. Dying to meet him? Not really. 

  • I was hoping that you could vote in our favour for our project that....
  • Let's not talk about business tonight. Jisang interrupted me and handing me a glass of champagne. Let's get to know each other first.

He raised a hand to shush my protests.

  • The best way to convince me is to let me know more about the person that I'll work with, not the project.

I was reduce to silence. Frustrated, I drank in one gulp my flute of champagne. I felt the bubbles explode down my throat and my head turned a little. It was a while since I drank, I was too busy.

Without knowing how, I found myself seated between the two young men who became more and more drunk. At one point, I had to frankly remove Jisang's hand from my thigh.

I felt bad. I was hot and I was sweating profusely. I removed my jacket and fanned myself with my hand. Was there a problem with the air conditioning? I stood up and staggered on my heels.

  • 가지 마 (Gajima. Don’t go) said Jisang holding my hand
  • 화장실 (Hwajangsil. Bathroom) l said weakly to him
  • 의 함께 가자. (Ui hamkke gaja. Let’s go together)

I dug my heels in his feet.

  • I pee alone, thank you.

Staggering, I headed to the bathroom. My breath was short and I had trouble breathing. Was it the smoke that made me feel like this? Or worse, Jisang and Haneul had drugged me?

I went in the bathroom and splashed on my face. I could breathe a little easier. I looked up and sighed. I really was not in my environment. I turned to leave and saw a urinal. A urinal? In the women's bathroom ?? I looked around me and had to hold a hysterical laugh. I was in the men's room!

I rushed outside to go back in the next second. Haneul and Jisang were coming in my direction. I looked around and decided to go into one of the booths. I quickly pushed open a door and closed it after me while the two men were entering in the restroom. 

  • 도대체!? (Dodache!? What the !?)

I felt the world collapsing around me. I got into a booth when his occupant was preparing to leave it.

  • 도대체 당신이하고있는? (Dodache dangsin-i hago issneun? What the hell you’re doing?)

I clapped my hand against his mouth to silence him. I did not want him to attract Jisang and Haneul's attention. I looked up to him and whispered.

  • 제발요 (Jebal yo. Please).

I put a finger on my lips, still without removing my hand from his mouth. He grabbed my wrist and took it off strongly. He was furious. I found myself staring at him. A male face, firm, not really common in Korea, where most men were quite effeminate, black eyes that was throwing daggers at me, a small nose, a pink mouth. He was also very muscular. He was taller than me. Because we were pressed against each other, I had to raise my head to look at him. He was about to open the door when I held him back. I had heard my name. I motioned him to listen and whispered, pointing me.

  • Anna, 나 (Na. Me) 

The young man raised an eyebrow and suspended his gesture.

  • Do you think the drug already took effect? asked Haneul
  • She must be passed out in the toilet. The drug is rapid. You have to keep your promise continued Jisang, you have to let me have her first.

Kang Haneul laughed.

  • As you wish. That dirty black girl will stop treating me like crap! I'll wipe that damn pride of her face.