제 2.3 장: Pretty good for a newbie

Chrome Heart

I looked up to my counterparts and a sudden desire to hide took over me. I had to make a violent effort on myself not to hide behind Shin Wong Bin. I really didn't like the energy that emanated from Kang Haneul, the son of a 재벌  (Jaebeol) that Wong Bin knew and that would help us find funds for the project that the department wanted to set up.

  • So, you want to help children with terminal illnesses but who are orphans... pro bono? 너 미쳤어? (Neo micheosseo? Are you crazy?) Do you know how much it will cost?
  • I know sighed Wong Bin, why do you think I need help? I also have to convince the Board of...
  • In that case you'll need Jisang, not me.

I saw Wong Bin make an effort to calm down. He must not like that Jisang.

  • Ah... said Haneul, rising with a sardonic smile, and this is where I enter the scene... Jisang and you... Do you know that they used to be best friends before?

I shook my head, begging the heavens that his attention will turn to something else and not focus on me... I really didn't like this man. Wong Bin phone rang in the silence that followed and he excused himself to answer. As if he was expecting this, Kang Haneul leaned on the table beside me and told me in a sweet voice.

  • I know that you're not this nerd's girlfriend... What are you doing here? Did he let you in to impress me? You can tell him that he managed...
  • I'm the psychologist in charge of the project Kang Haneul-ssi. I interrupted him

A smile drew on his lips.

  • You know who I am right? Your project will not pass the Board without Jisang and me... Despite all the money that he have, Wong Bin only holds 40% of the company and Jisang and I each have 6%... This would give him the majority right?

I swallowed nervously and tried to keep a polite smile on my face. I didn't like where this conversation was going... and Wong Bin was still MIA.

  • I... I have to go to the lab... 만나서 반가웠습니다 (Mannaseo bangawossseumnida. It was nice meeting you).

I ran more than I walked towards the door. And with my bloody luck, Kang Haneul followed me. 

Ji Yong-ah, 도와줘 (dowajweo. Help me) I thought in petto before shaking my head...As if G-Dragon could help me in this situation and why did I thought of him? The only one who could save me from this leech was Shin Wong Bin.

I took a big breath and counted up to ten to calm myself. I closed my eyes and tried to clear my head.

  • Anna-yah, 괜찮아? (Gwaenchana? Are you okay?)

​I abruptly opened my eyes and Kang Haneul stepped back, stunned. No respect. He had met me what, 30 minutes ago and was talking to me as if we knew each other for a long time.

  • Why do you seem surprised? Are you flattered by my interest?

I bit my lip until I drew blood to prevent myself from sending my fist in his face. I gave him a honeyed smile by repeating in my head that we needed him like a broken record.

  • 네! 정말 과분 해요 (Ne! Jeongmal gwabun haeyo. Yes! I'm really flattered). But if you would excuse me, I don't have the time to go to the club with you tonight.

I bowed to him and turned away, killing him in a thousand ways in my mind. What does he meant by going in the club with him? I looked up to the sky and almost snatch my computer screen in my rage. Who does he think he was that idiot? Just because his mom was a  Samsung Group 재벌  (jaebeol), did he tought that he was the master of the world or what? And I thought that my loathing for him was quite apparent and enough to discourage him but no.

  • Anna-yah, my good friend Park Jisang will be there.

I stopped in my track. Park Jisang. The Senator's son who could save our project. Park Jisang, the answer to our prayers for Wong Bin and I. I turned slowly to Kang Haneul. He was mechanically leaning in the doorframe of my laboratory. He had a smile that I hated. A smile that seemed to say that he knew he had me at his mercy.

I took a deep breath. All this was because of my stupidity. Yes, what fly had stung me to accept to go in the conference room with Wong Bin? I could  have showed him my intervention plan later, it was not that urgent.

  • Kang Haneul-ssi... I... I'm not dressed for a club I say abandoning the psychological match.

The glorious face of that bastard made me more upset.

  • You are perfect as you are.

I wore a grey mouse suit, whose skirt was pretty short. My hair were retained in a strict bun on the top of my head, my glasses firmly planted on my nose. The only piece of color was my red stilettos.

I gave him a forced smile.

  • 좋아요. 가자. (Joh-ayo. Gaja. Okay. Let’s go).