Lunch is in Session

Incantations of Fate

The bell for the lunch period rang and the students hurried out the doors, all scampering the halls to get to the cafeteria. Ye Jin waited in her seat till the crowds cleared. Next to her, Jung Kook joined her. After the classroom had mostly emptied, Jung Kook pulled out a lunch bag and began unpacking the small boxes. Ye Jin watches as he placed the boxes of rice, gim gui, sauteed beef and vegetables on the desk.  

Suddenly, she had no desire to leave the classroom; her stomach growled for his food. He noticed her stares and pushed the boxes between them, offering her. 

She smiled and picked up a slice of gim gui with her hands, savoring the saltiness of it on her tongue. It had been a while since she'd had a home-cooked meal.  

"Did your mother make this?" She asked, making small conversation. 

He nodded.  

"It's really good." 

He smiled at her and continued eating. Behind them, a few boys entered, all with lunch bags in hand and smiles plastered on their young faces. 

"Jung Kook-ah!" They exclaimed in unison. 

Ye Jin watched as the boys pulled chairs to sit around the desk, eager to share lunch with their friend. The one to her left had dark brown hair that swayed as he moved, and a mischievous smiled that added to his charm. Directly opposite her was a black-haired boy with strong forearms that showed from his rolled up sleeves. Lastly, the one to sit to Jung Kook's right was the tallest of the group and smiled with his eyes as he noticed Ye Jin.  

Jung Kook went on to introduce them after they looked questioningly at the two of them sitting together. She learnt that the first boy was called Tae Hyung, followed by the forearm boy named Ji Min and ending off with the tallest being called Suk Jin. At the mention of that last boy's name, her eyes went wide. 

"What's wrong?" Suk Jin asked. 

"Oh, nothing. That's my brother's name." She looked down and took another bite of gim gui. 

The boys continued to talk as though Ye Jin wasn’t even there, talking about how a certain girl looked today or what girl group performed on television the night before.  

Suddenly, the back sliding doors of the classroom slammed opened and the boys and Ye Jin turned to look at the cause. Not to anyone's surprise, it was Suga and his friend, J-Hope.  

"Aish, that guy needs to stop looking for attention so much," Ji Min whispered, frustrated.  

The others nodded, agreeing. Ye Jin, however, couldn’t stop glancing at the troublemaker. Suga took his seat and began messing around on his phone.  

"We should go to the PC room after school," Tae Hyung suggested. 

"Deal! As long as you buy the ramyun," Jung Kook negotiated. 

The boys chuckled and finished their meal. While they packed up their empty boxes, a strong gust of wind entered from the window. Papers were strewn everywhere and studious students in the front became flustered.  

Ye Jin felt the necklace around her neck move with the wind, cooling her neck as it settled itself. 

When the wind died down, Jung Kook turned to her. "You wear a necklace?" 

"Oh, yeah," she replied. 

"Can I see it?"  

"Sure," she said, pulling out from her shirt. 

The thin, silver chain hung down with the weight of a circular jade pendant. The light green pendant was surrounded by silver slivers that were patterned after a strong magical spell that her Grandmother cast in order to maintain her powers. It resembled a circular jade piece that was encompassed by silver vines and leaves. 

"This is beautiful," Jung Kook said, staring at it.  

She thanked him and noticed their next teacher enter the room. She hurried to the lockers in the back of the classroom to get a new notebook. On her way there, Suga noticed her and began to stare at her. His eyebrows came together as he studied her chest. She turned away, baffled. However, as she had her back to her class, she felt a pressure behind her.  

She turned to face the entity, Suga. He was staring at her pendant, not her chest.  

"Where did you get that?" He growled at her. 

She covered the pendant on instinct and stepped back.  

"Min Yoon Gi!" The teacher called from the front.  

He rolled his eyes and turned away, returning to his seat. Quickly, Ye Jin retrieved her book and retreated to her own seat, well aware of the stares from across the room. Suga kept his eyes on her for the majority of the session. She met his glance a few times, but always cowered away and looked away.