Playing Nice

Incantations of Fate

She decided to let him have the first hit. In an instant, a large book from his shelves flung at her, setting her off-balance. Suga rushed to help her, but she held her hand out for him to stop. She recovered quickly and took advantage of the elder's over-confidence.  

Telekinesis was not going to be the winning factor in this fight; she needed to think outside of the box. With mere focus, she looked at the ground around the man's feet and set it ablaze. The glow bounced off the dimly-lit walls, giving it a medieval essence. The elder looked at her, outraged at her blatant attack. He understood then that she had no issue with leaving him alive after this encounter; if she had to kill him to get her way, she would. 

The flames at his clothing, quickly rising to his neck. His mind swarmed with trying to oust the flames, rather than attack her. From the corner of Ye Jin's vision, Suga held out his hand and a wave of water gushed from his palms.  

She stared at Suga, shocked that  he would help the other, but then she recalled that this was his father and he too would do what he had to do to keep him alive after all of this.  

The trio stood at various points in the room, letting the tension encompass them. Suga worked as the one to keep things safe and neutral.  

His father rose his hand, staring at Ye Jin, and in one swift motion, he rushed his hand downwards, causing her to get a wide gash on her shoulder. The wound gaped open, exposed to the elements and Suga's rage rose, but he remained where he was.  

Ye Jin recalled the healing spell and with ease, she was good as new. The elder gaped at her, amazed at her ability. She knew he would be shocked as it was extremely rare for a witch to be able to heal herself. She allowed herself a proud smile, which only served to enrage the elder.  

"So, you just can't die, is that it?" The elder yelled at her. 

Keeping the eye contact, she replied, "I can, but I won't." 

The elder chuckled and turned to his son. "Where did you find this one? She's not like any other Park witch I've dealt with." 

"That's a good thing, isn't it?" Ye Jin asked, bringing his attention back to her. 

"Not in my line of business. You're a rebel, an anomaly. You should be stopped." 

"But who's going to stop me?" 

"Okay, okay," Suga said, raising his hands in the air, his palms facing each of them. "Let's calm down. This fight isn't going to get us anywhere." 

His father thought it over and his offensive stance straightened and he returned the demeanor of a businessman. Ye Jin also relaxed, but kept her mind on the offense, just in case. 

The trio returned to their respective seats and the elder asked, "So, what did you come here for? Besides to meet me, I'm sure." 

"I want some information about how deals are made between the clans," Ye Jin replied. 

"What for?" 

"Just common knowledge?" She said, showing a sly smile. She kept her gaze on the elder man, ignoring Suga's worried state. 

The man decided to humor her for now; he didn't see any danger in giving her the information as she was part of the clan. He cleared his throat and said, "Well, for any agreement, the leaders of both clans draw their blood and place it in a jar. Once the blood mixes, the agreement is considered to be completed." 

She nodded and asked, "And where are the jars stored?" 

The elder chuckled. "Why, do you want to get them?" 

"No, I'm just overly curious." 

"They're kept in the meeting house, underground." 

Ye Jin considered it. She had been in that house before, before all of the time traveling took place. It was where she and Suga had their trial with the elders of each clan. She doubted Suga had the chance to be there since high school, as his job wasn't supposed to lead him there. 

If Ye Jin could remember the path, she could easily get there, but it was just to deal with the guards, if there were any.  

"Are you planning something, Park witch?" The elder asked, leaning over his desk to give her a harsh look. 

"Father," Suga warned. 

His father backed off but kept  his gaze on the girl.  

"I'm just trying to understand why you would leave such important things in such a public place," Ye Jin responded. 

"It's protected, of course. Only certain witches can access itthe leaders," the elder replied. 

Ye Jin nodded and turned to Suga. "I think It's best if I leave you to your work." She rose to her feet and bowed in respect to the elder, who only smiled politely at her. 

Suga stood as well and gave her a peck on her cheek. She could sense his nervousness with every breath he took. She hoped that his father wouldn't give him too much of a hard time after she left the building.   

She made her way out with ease. No one outside seemed to catch on that she was supposed to be their enemy. Now, Ye Jin needed to find something to do to pass the time. She thought about visiting her brother at college, but she didn't want to disturb him or shock him at her sudden return 

Instead, she decided to do some surveillance. The meeting building for the clans was about 45 minutes walk from where she was. She decided to walk around that area and see if she could figure out how people worked around there. She sought comfort in the idea that the building would be locked if the clan leaders believed in their protection spells. 

By the time she arrived at the block before the one with the meeting hall, she could hardly make out any movement inside the building. The windows were tinted too much for her to even notice any lights on inside.  

Just as she was going to leave, a slender woman exited the front door and Ye Jin caught a slight glimpse of the inside. There were lights on, but they were dim and few. That was a good sign because she knew she could easily break those lights or cut off the electricity with one flick of her wrist. When the door closed, she made her way to a nearby motel, carefully mapping out a plan in her mind.  

She could think on her feet and avoid conflict as best as possible. The hard part would be getting through those protection spells on the room with the agreement jars. Once she gets through those, the rest should be easy enough.