Acceptance

Incantations of Fate

Jung Kook returned to his spot next to her and took her hand in his. He offered her a sweet smile, with all signs of discomfort disappearing with each passing second. Then, he turned to Yoon Gi. 

"How long are you planning to stay up here?" He asked. 

"Not long. I just came to see you guys," Suga replied, keeping his gaze on their intertwined hands. His anger and jealousy was b on the surface and he imagined the harmful things he could do Jung Kook with a mere thought.  

"I think you should go now," Nam Joon said, coming back into the conversation. "Yoon Gi-ah, you shouldn’t be here right now." 

Suga nodded and made his way slowly and silently over to the front door. When the door was heard opening, he turned back once to look at Ye Jin. 

"I was the fool for believing that love conquered all. I wont bother you from now on," he muttered before leaving their sight.  

The room was quiet for a moment before Nam Joon stood up and gathered their glasses. Ye Jin looked at Jung Kook and gave him a quick peck on the cheek.  

Once Nam Joon was out of the room, the mortal asked, "So, what can this magic do?" 

She chuckled at his child-like question. "Almost anything, really." 

"Anything?" 

She nodded and decided to prove it. She raised her right arm over his head and moved her index finger in a circular motion. Jung Kook looked at her, skeptical as to what she was doing. Suddenly, he felt a drop of cold touch his cheek and he looked above his head to see white dots descending onto them. His mouth opened slightly in awe; she made snow indoors. 

He looked at her incredulously and then came the maniacal laughter. "How much power does something like this take?" 

"Almost nothing. It's simple," Ye Jin replied, taking in his innocent expression. The only thing she liked about revealing her secret to mortals was seeing their dream-like reactions. Of course, some persons were outraged and acted out of pure fear, but that was rare.  

Then, Jung Kook looked at her seriously, ignoring the falling snowflakes. "Why didn't you tell me before?" 

She knew this was coming. "We aren't supposed to go around advertising it. I was also afraid of how you would look at me once you knew. It's not exactly an ideal feature you want in a girlfriend." 

"Oh, so you're my girlfriend now?" His sneaky grin was back there and she loved it. 

"That's what you took from my response?" She asked, with a smile playing at the corners of .  

"Was there anything more important?" Jung Kook leaned towards her, with fresh dots of snow on his lips and kissed her gently. Ye Jin jumped slightly as the cool sting of the snow and kissed him passionately.  

Every time they kissed, Ye Jin felt her emotions run through her body, from the top of her spine to the base knob. She tingled everywhere and her heart raced at the slightest touch on her skin. They were electric and compared to when she kissed Yoon Gi, Jung Kook made her feel like she had a shot at being what she always wanted: being normal inside and out. He was her best chance at a mortal forever.  

--- 

Sunday morning arrived and the house was filled with the scent of fresh blueberry pancakes. On a rare occasion, when her Aunt was not feeling to make  a full Korean breakfast, she made simple pancakes that the entire family enjoyed. When Ye Jin emerged from her room, she heard joyous laughter from the kitchen, but there was a voice that was uncommon. 

"Aunty, you're cooking never fails," the voice said. Ye Jin entered the kitched and stopped short in her tracks.  

"Suk Jin-ah," she muttered, looking at the broad shouldered teen hunched over a plate of pancakes.  

Her brother sat up and looked at his sister, smiling from ear to ear. "Ye Jin-noona. Good morning." He stood up and rushed over to her, grasping her in his arms and smothering her. She wondered when the hell he grew so much.  

"What are you doing here?" She asked once he released her. 

"I told mom and dad that I was coming to check out some Colleges." He smiled, seeming content with his lie.  

"I'll leave you two to catch up," their Aunt said, leaving the kitchen.  

Once alone, Suk Jin turned serious. "Noona, Mom and Dad want to see you." 

Her heart thumped in her chest. This was the last thing she expected her brother to say. Why, she wondered, did her parents want to see her after all this time? They had worked so hard to push her away and now they were trying to pull her back?  

"They just want to have dinner together," he continued, after seeing her puzzled expression. 

"I don’t want to," she muttered, looking at the floor. She always thought that if her parents made the first move to mend their relationship, she would jump at the opportunity and welcome them with open arms. However, now that this chance was here, all the emotions she felt from being removed from their little family crushed her and she didn’t think she was ready to make the next step. "I'll call them when I'm ready to see them." 

Her brother nodded and returned to his pancakes at the dining table. There was a rustling in the house and soon enough, another person joined them in the kitchen. 

"Good morning," Jung Kook chimed, showing a toothy smile topped with ruffled hair. Ye Jin smiled automatically.  

Jung Kook moved behind her and placed his arms around her center, giving her a back-hug. He kissed her shoulder and then her neck before releasing her and moving to engage in the pancakes. 

"Morning! I knew I smelt something awesome," Nam Joon announced as he took the third seat at the table.  

Ye Jin remained standing, watching the boys, her boys, delve into their breakfast. The scene was perfect, no arguments and no tension. This was the kind of moment she yearned for and she hoped that she got to experience this many more times in the future.