Facing the Truth

Incantations of Fate

The weekend passed smoothly. Ye Jin had texted Suga several times apologizing for how she left things on Saturday, but he never responded. Now, she sat in the classroom listening to Ms. Kim lecture them about preparing for the upcoming mid-terms. Just as she was in the middle of telling the class of the severe consequences of cheating, Suga strolled in. He stayed silent, as usual and avoided anyone's stares. His hair was disheveled which gave him an undeniable attractive attribute that made Ye Jin's heart race. 
Ms. Kim ignored the interruption and ended her lecture smoothly. Next, their math teacher entered, looking exhausted for the Monday morning. He placed his textbook down on the desk and proceeded to inquire about the weekend's homework. 
Ye Jin ignored him and focused her stare on Suga. He lay his head on the desk, with his eyes closed, intending to sleep through this period. Feeling mischievous herself, Ye Jin conjured a red bean bun onto his lap. She watched it take form on his lap and watched as he glanced at it and looked annoyed. 
He passed his hand over it and it disappeared. Her heart sunk. It was a simple gesture but he didn’t have to destroy it into oblivion. 
Once that session was over, she ignored Jung Kook's stares and made her way over to Suga's desk. She was aware of the amount of attention she was drawing to herself from the class, but she needed to make sure Suga's knew how sorry she was in person.
When she approached him, he stood up, anger flashing across his face. 
"What do you want?" He growled at her.
Taken aback, Ye Jin scoffed, "Well, hello to you too. Look, I'm sorry about Saturday; I shouldn’t have sent you off like that." Her tone softened as she apologized.
Suga shrugged and made his way out of the classroom. 
She followed, not giving up there. She followed him all the way to the rooftop (of course).
Finally, Suga turned to face her as the rooftop door slammed shut. 
"What do you want?" He repeated.
"Are you really going to be like this?" She said, letting the anger overflow. 
Suga sighed and softened his gaze. "You were right, okay? We shouldn’t be seen together."
She was surprised to hear him admit it. "Okay, so where does that leave us?"
"There is no 'us' anymore. We're just classmates."
He spoke with such simplicity, as though he was giving her the price of something in the cafeteria; like it didn’t even matter. Her eyes began to water, despite the sun above them. 
"We should get back to class. Don’t wanna be found together, do we?" Now, there was a tinge of bitterness in his words that increased her tear production. 
When she sniffled, he turned to look at her. However, she was looking away from him, letting the tears escape. She didn’t even look at him when he stood directly in front of her with his hands on her shoulders.
"Please, don’t do that." He touched her cheek, lifting him to look to him. "Don’t make this harder than it already is...please."
His gaze softened and he leaned towards her, pressing his lips to hers. The touch seemed natural and she automatically responded. 
Suga broke away and muttered against her lips, "I don’t want to let you go." 
Ye Jin then realized that he was having a tough time with this reality just as she was and that made her break even more. "I don’t know what to do," she replied, letting the tears streak her cheeks. 
Suga straightened up and embraced her against him. She took in his scent, not sure when the two of them would be that close again. "Let's just keep things on the down low for now. Just make sure that no one in our families gets a whiff of us, alright?"
She nodded. She pulled away and looked at his distraught expression. "I guess we're late for class, huh?" 
Suga chuckled and kissed her forehead. Ye Jin crumbled internally, desperate for any other reality than what they were currently facing. 
She couldn’t believe that she would grow to fall for the very person she was meant to hate. What a funny thing fate is. It creeps on you when you least expect it and it forces you to face decisions you never thought you'd have to deal with in decades to come.