Being Cared For

Incantations of Fate

When lunch arrived, Jung Kook's friends entered the classroom and took their seats around the table. 

"Ye Jin-ah," Tae Hyun said. "Are you feeling alright?" 

Since she returned from the rooftop, she had been spacing out. Her appetite had vanished and she wanted to retreat to her apartment as soon as possible. It wasn’t helping that Suga and J-Hope remained seated, ordering another classmate to fetch them lunch.  

"Oh, yeah. I'm fine." She offered them a smile and they seemed to believe her. All, except Jung Kook. 

"Yah, what's up with Suga? He's never here at the beginning of lunch," Ji Min said, glancing over at the two boys.  

Jung Kook shrugged his shoulders, digging his chopsticks into his packed lunch.  

Suk Jin and Ji Min offered her some of their lunch, but she declined.  

When the poor classmate returned bearing bags of bread, chips and waters, Suga grabbed the goods and stood up. Sauntering over to the group in the corner, he shoved the bread and a water in front of Ye Jin, placing them forcefully on the desk. She looked up, shocked.  

"You should eat something if you're going to continue looking like that," Suga mumbled before heading out of the classroom.  

The boys' gazes fell on her, astounded by what they had just witnessed. Despite their curiosity, Ye Jin's anger was increasing. She didn’t want him to be nice to her, as he had no reason to. If he was nice, then she would be seen as the one with the attitude problem. Plus, by him being nice to her alone, people were beginning to notice and that was attention she didn’t need.  

She turned the bread over in her hand and offered it to the boys.  

"You really should eat something," Jung Kook said.  

"I don’t want it, especially if it's from him." 

The boys heard her bitterness and eventually, Suk Jin and Tae Hyung shared the bread between them.  

Ye Jin decided to go for a walk, needing a change of scenery. Unconsciously, she headed to the roof. Despite her previous encounter up there, it was an isolated place and that's what she needed right now. 

--- 

The sky was covered in clouds above her. It was clear that it was going to rain soon, but she didn’t let that deter her. She found a shaded corner and sat there, stretching her legs in front of her. Listening to the sound of the wind and focusing on the scent of clear air, she closed her eyes. 

"You really shouldn’t be up here too often, you know." 

Her eyes opened immediately when she heard that voice. She turned her head to face the intruder, letting her shoulders fall when she saw it really was Suga. He proceeded to take  a seat next to her. That area wasn’t shaded, so he rose his hand up and using his abilities, shifted the clouds so that they covered the direct sunlight. Ye Jin stared on, trying to hide how impressed she was. 

"Can't you just leave me alone?" She asked, letting her frustration show. 

He took out another bread bun from his pocket and tossed it over to her lap. "You didn’t eat it before. So, eat it now." 

She tossed it back to him. "No, thank you." 

"What do you want to eat, then?" 

"Kimbap," she retorted quickly.  

He nodded and waved his hand over to her, conjuring a roll of kimbap in her lap.  

She narrowed her eyes at him. "If I wanted it, I would've made it myself." Waving her own hand, the kimbap disappeared.  

Suga sighed. "I'm sorry, about earlier." 

"Which part?" 

A low chuckle emerged from him. "All of it?" 

"Why did you make me wait in front this morning?" 

"Ah, that's a long story." 

"Make it short, then." 

Suga cleared his throat and readjusted his uniformed jacket, getting comfortable. "I just needed to ruffle Jung Kook's feathers, is all." 

"Why him?" 

"We have a history of getting on each other's nerves." 

Ye Jin nodded, getting a grasp of the information. It made sense to her now why the two shared tension between them and constantly glared at one another for no apparent reason. Now there was a known reason: their history. 

"Well, could you not use me to get to him, please?" 

"Why not?" 

"Because...he was the only one who was nice to me on my first day." 

Suga nodded. "Fine. But, now I wanna be the one who's nice to you." 

"We're supposed to be sworn enemies." 

"Supposed to be." He smiled a wicked smile.  

Ye Jin was getting tired of his company. She didn’t need the extra attention he was trying to offer her, especially since he was Jung Kook's enemy too. All she wanted was to breeze through her final year of High School without everyone knowing her name. Was that so much to ask for?