Insightful Encounter

Incantations of Fate

In an instant, anything in your life could change. One action can cause everything you have worked hard for to dissipate to nothing. Ye Jin pondered on this as she stared into the still eyes of the elder Suga. She was transfixed by the piercing gaze he was portraying.  

Then, just as suddenly as the area was frozen in time, it thawed and everyone returned to their movements and the man in front of her came back to reality and took a step back, shocked at her presence. 

"Ye Jin-ah," he muttered. 

"Who are you?" She countered. 

He took a breath and gathered his thoughts and replied, "you know who I am." 

She nodded. "How did you get here, in this time?" 

He glanced around to make sure that no one was listening to their conversation. "I got enough power to come back." 

"How?" 

He looked at her, unsure if he wanted her to know. "It doesn’t matter.  I came back to do something." 

"Do what?" She was not ready to give him time to run away; keeping the conversation going as quickly as it was, was the best way for her to get some answers from him. 

"This," he muttered as he pulled a silver blade from his coat pocket. His grip strengthened and Ye Jin glanced in time to see his knuckles whiten. In one swift motion, he the blade into her stomach with the force of a speeding truck. She looked at the handle sticking out of her stomach, and stared at it incredulously.  

Passersby caught on to what was happening and as Ye Jin stepped back in pain and collapsed to the ground, two men rushed to her side to help. When she looked up through their worried faces, the old Suga was gone, probably back to his proper time she hoped 

One woman to her left had her cellphone to her ear, yelling the directions to the emergency services. Within minutes, Ye Jin was rushed to the hospital. She felt her energy draining with every passing second. Her urge to move disappeared and she let the professionals take care of her lifeless body.  

Just as she was placed under a blinding light, she closed her eyes and left her fate to well, the fates.  

--- 

Slowly, she became aware of the light behind her closed eyelids. She gradually opened her eyes and the memories of what happened came flooding back, giving her an instant migraine. Looking around, she was in a ward with several other beds, some with unkempt sheets and others waiting for their next occupant.  

She rose to sit in her bed and looked at the bedside table for her phone.  

"You've been asleep for 3 hours," a voice said, startling her. 

She looked up and recoiled in the bed when she saw the older Suga approaching her bed. He was dressed in plain clothes this time, and held his hands in front of him to show that he meant no harm.  

"What do you want?" She asked, her fear and anger simultaneously rising within her. 

"I want to explain." He took the chair next to her bed and sat down.  

Staring at her, he went on. "In the future, after you re-live this time, you become too powerful." 

"How is that a problem?" She interrupted. 

"You become a leader, no, a dictator, over the clans." 

"Clans? Both clans?" 

Suga nodded. "You destroy all the barriers but the power you gain controls you and we get into a civil war with the mortals." 

She shook her head, increasingly confused. "That's ridiculous. Why would I want to kill humans?" 

"Well, you were sort of provoked. Jung Kook grows to resent you because of the love that you and I grow to have. He recruits people and convinces them that you're dangerous." 

"How far into the future does this all happen?" 

Suga thought and replied, "You took over and destroyed the clan barriers when you were 26." 

She looked at the bed sheets, amazed. She came back to the past when she was 21, which meant that in half a century, she would have created history in the clans. To be honest, she felt proud that she managed to do so, but at the same time, she found it almost unbelievable that she would let things get so far that a war broke out between the witches and the mortals. 

"So," she began. "You came back to kill me, to prevent everything?" 

He merely nodded and waited for her to process everything. 

"How can I be sure that you're telling me the truth?" She asked. 

He pulled a folded newspaper from his jacket pocket and showed it to her. The front page was a picture of her with several witches behind her, standing in a formation that showed defiance. The headline read, "THE WAR IS NEAR".  

She returned the paper to Suga and told him, "Did I really come back to this time to die?" 

He nodded and said, "I wish I didn’t have to do this, but for the sake of the world's future, it needs to be done."  

"Now that I know, can’t I just prevent it when the future comes?" She asked, hoping for the best. 

"I can't take that chance, Ye Jin-ah." 

"You can't, but I can."  

Suga slowly rose from his seat, glaring at her. She knew that he was going to attack now and she made the decision that if she were to die, it wouldn’t be from some time-jumping Suga. The moment he held out his hand to her, she knew he was going to use magic this time. Before he could fulfil his mental spell, she flung her arm in his direction, sending him flying in the air and across the room, hitting the front wall of the room. The nurses outside heard the commotion and rushed to see the danger. Before they could enter the doorway, Ye Jin imagined his throat closing up, restricting air, and with the simplest form of energy, the thought turned into reality and Suga's throat restricted, causing his face to redden.  

When the nurses found him, they were taken aback with confusion and took his limp body to the ER. Ye Jin laid back on her bed, knowing that she had succeeded in killling him. She felt a pang of guilt, but she knew that she could change the future now that she knew what was going to happen to her at 26 years old. 

She decided to let the medication do its thing in her body before she left the hospital. A stab wound was difficult to overcome, but she knew that there was some old incantation in an old spell book that would make it seem as though it never happened.  

She rose from her bed and made her way to the bathroom to change into her school uniform, before leaving for her apartment. 

One good thing came out of her encounter with future Suga and that was that the thought that plagued her for a while now was reinforced; she was powerful, and more powerful that just to travel in time but enough to overtake the clans and lead them into a better, more fruitful future.