The Separation Law

Incantations of Fate

Ye Jin awoke that afternoon to a text message from Suga. He said he could no longer make it to her apartment, so he could see her the next day at school. Despite her disappointment, Ye Jin felt relieved that she wouldn’t have to leave her bed to entertain anyone. 

Her body was still weak, but not as weak when she walked through the front door hours before. She was able to conjure up simple food items and turn on the television with a flick of her wrist. 

Just as she was feeling somewhat normal again, her phone rang; it was the leader of the Park clan. On the other end of the line, the woman sounded frantic and desperate for anyone to attend an impromptu meeting at her house.  

Sensing the urgency, Ye Jin changed out of her uniform and into a comfortable jeans and hoodie sweatshirt. She rushed out of her apartment, and headed for the street, eager to hail a taxi. 

--- 

The meeting room was in an uproar. There were too many voices and Ye Jin found it impossible to focus on one. Everything sounded like gibberish to her and her head began to throb. 

When the leader entered, the conversations ceased and everyone turned their attention to her.  

"Thank you all for coming tonight," she greeted. "I regret to inform you that the Min clan has decided, under their new leadership, that no Park witch and Min wizard should attend the same school while they are growing up." She stared directly at Ye Jin, with regretful eyes. 

"This is an outrage!" One witch said. 

"It's blatant discrimination!" Another cackled. 

As their expressions of disagreement continued to be heard, Ye Jin receded into her own thoughts, where she pictured herself in a new school, not being able to be near Yoon Gi again.  

Suddenly, Ye Jin rose to her feet. The shouts died down as they waited for her opinion.  

"What about after schooling? They can't separate us forever," she said, eager for some hope in return. 

"They are...organizing for location separation in Korea. They will take the South and we will take the North," the leader responded. 

Living in the North regions of South Korea? That was ridiculous. Why did they have to separate so blatantly? Ye Jin sat down, confusion clouding her mind.  

As the meeting went on, the ladies in the room spared no expense when voicing their opinions. Ye Jin, on the other hand, quietly ducked out of the house and made the slow walk back to her apartment.  

--- 

Standing at the end of her corridor was Suga, dawned in a black hooded sweater and black sweatpants, adorned with a fashionable beanie. When he saw Ye Jin round the corner, he strolled up to her, away from her front door. They now stood facing each other in the middle of the hallway. 

"Hey," Suga greeted.  

She merely nodded at him. 

"I'm guessing by your reaction that you heard about the new rules. Of course, it'll only be finalized once both parties agree." 

After a moment of silence, Ye Jin said, "So, shall I leave school or you?" 

He looked taken aback. "I-I didn’t think about that." 

"We both know that your father came up with these rules because of you and me going to YongKi together. He must be displeased." She smirked, not letting her displeasure remain hidden. 

"Ye Jin-ah," Suga said as he took a step closer to her. 

She stepped back, avoiding his touch. She was hurt by the possibility of the forced separation she was about to face. His father and the Park clan leader would come to an agreement, given their history of tension and conflict. Ye Jin was losing hope more than ever before at the idea of her and Suga being together. There was so much more stopping them now.  

She said goodnight to him and rushed past him. Ignoring his calls behind her, she mentally opened the door and scurried inside.  

Behind the safety of her enchanted door, she allowed herself to breathe freely.  

That night, sleep didn’t come easy. She tossed and turned before she gave up and decided to talk a walk under the stars. To non-magic folk, the nights are the more dangerous. However, for those of magical decent, the night was the most ideal time: less eyes to witness magical acts, better times for communicating with the dead and the best time for secret gatherings. Of course, with magic, Ye Jin could defend herself more efficiently as well. There would be no one powerful enough to make her weak.