Save and Reveal

Incantations of Fate

The next day, Ye Jin arrived early to school and decided to go up to the roof to wait until classes began. The air was cool and it was cloudy, which allowed her to keep warm rather than hot. She plugged her earphones in and disappeared into the music.  

After about 20 minutes, her phone chimed, signaling the beginning of class. She hurried to class and slipped in undetected. Jung Kook slid her seat aside for her and moved his textbook to the center of their desks. One glance and Ye Jin recalled the notes in her mind from the first time she did it.  

The teacher instructed them to do an exercise while he went to retrieve something from his car. In record time, Ye Jin had the correct answers and sat back, feeling confident. 

When the teacher returned, he wasn't alone. Her cousin, Nam Joon was following and Ye Jin smiled, recalling the memory. After introductions, her cousin made his way to his seat in front of her and they greeted each other.  

The class finished and Jung Kook rested his head on the desk, facing her. Ye Jin, on the other hand, was glancing over at Yoon Gi. Before the other teacher could enter for class, Suga and J-Hope left the classroom in a hurry. Ye Jin felt the urge to follow, to make sure they were not getting themselves in trouble. 

She got to her feet but Jung Kook moved to stop her. "Where are you going?" 

"To the bathroom," she said rushing to the door.  

The hallways were empty except for the late students who were moving in between classes to talk to their friends. She went to the window and there she saw the back of Suga's head, heading to the side wall of the school. 

She moved as fast as she could to catch up with them. When she reached them, they were jumping over the wall, no doubt ditching school. She followed suit and the three students were free. She managed to keep a good distance behind them as she wove between people on the streets to keep up with the boys.  

They took a right and entered coffee shop. She smirked, amazed at how unlikely it was that a pair of school  bullies would make their first stop at a café. She remained outside, stealing glances inside every now and then. 

A man in a heavily hooded jacket passed her and entered the café. She looked after him, thinking it was odd for him to wear that jacket in such warm weather. When he approached the cashier, he pulled out a silver revolver from his jacket pocket and it in the cashier's face. The workers shrieked and many customers tried to escape. After about 5 persons exited, he turned the gun to the others, and began threatening the worker to empty the cash register.  

Ye Jin's heart sped up as she looked at the puzzled and worried faces of Suga and J-Hope. She knew she had to do something before this got out of hand.  

When the cashier took too long to open the register, the intruder shot at the ceiling, earning screams from everyone inside.  

"Hurry up or someone gets the next bullet!" The thief exclaimed. He looked around the room at the hostages and his eyes centered on Suga and J-Hope. He stormed over to them and faced the gun in front of Suga. "Do you want one of these kids to die today?!"  

The worker opened the register and began piling the money on the counter in between cries. The thief pushed Suga to the ground and threw a bag at the worker to collect the money.  

When all the money was collected, he turned around and a sly smile formed on his face. "Well, this isn't any fun." He faced Suga again and pulled the trigger. 

Before she knew it, Ye Jin burst through the café entrance and used her magic to stop the bullet in mid-air. Before anyone could see what was happening, she dropped the bullet to the ground and the thief was now the one looking puzzled. With one last curse, he hurried out of the shop, shoving Ye Jin roughly against the wall.  

The workers and the hostages looked around at each other before hurrying out of the store. Ye Jin rose to her feet and touched her right shoulder where a bruise was forming from making contact with the concrete wall. The two boys approached her.  

"What are you doing here?" J-Hope asked. 

"Are you okay?" Suga asked, looking at her shoulder. 

She nodded and moved to leave the café. On the street, Suga pulled her back, telling J-Hope to walk on ahead. 

"I saw what you did," he whispered next to her. 

She grimaced. She didn’t think he was looking that closely.  

"Who are you?" He asked. 

"You don’t need to worry about me," she replied, hoping he would leave it at that. 

No such luck. "Your last name is Park, right? Amazing." He scoffed and glanced at her. "Don’t worry, I won't say anything to anyone. You have magic, that's cool." 

"And you?" 

"What about me?" 

"Your last name is Min, right?" 

He smiled at her. "Looks like we have an interesting semester ahead of us." 

He walked ahead, meeting up with J-Hope. They went one way and Ye Jin made her way back to school. She constantly scolded herself for showing him her magic. She ruined the second chance she got. She failed to go by unnoticed. She messed up and now she had to deal with him for the rest of her time there.