Bearer of Good News

Incantations of Fate

That night, Ye Jin found herself begging for sleep. She lay in her bed, facing the ceiling, unable to fall asleep. The constant tossing and turning caused a headache to knock on her head and she decided to give up on sleep for the night. Her mind kept reminding her of her encounter with Yoon Gi earlier that day. Now that she was alone, with no distractions, she had no choice but to remember him.

Suddenly, her phone lit up next to her. Apart from family and recent college friends, no one else was supposed to message her, so she took the phone, curious as to who needed her attention in the middle of the night.

Can't sleep, huh?

Ye Jin's eyes widened and she sat up in her bed. She knew Yoon Gi sent the message, but how did he know that she was awake?

She looked out of her bedroom window and, sure enough, Suga stood there, under the shadow of a street lamp. Se hurried to look around at the other houses, making sure that no one else saw him there. Once the coast was clear, she turned her glance to him, catching a glimpse of his sweet smile.

She closed the curtains, and began to debate with herself. Once again, any interaction would be terrible if they were caught. But, she couldn’t deny that she wanted to go out to him and wrap herself in his warm arms.

Before she knew it, she was dressed in jeans and a sweater. Once her feet were at the front door, she knew there was no turning back now. Her adrenaline was pumping and she reveled in the moment.

The moment she was out the front gates, Suga pulled her towards him. She heard the heavy thump of his beating heart as she lay her head against his sturdy chest. Ye Jin wrapped her arms around his waist, pulling him closer to her, desperate for his warmth and scent.

There was a noise behind them, the rattling of garbage bins. They jumped apart, but were relieved when the source of the sound was an alley cat prowling in the night.

Suga chuckled and grasped her hand. He turned and Ye Jin followed, willingly. She wanted to focus on this moment; not to think about the impending war between their families. She smiled at their joined hands and continued to smile when Suga glanced at her as he walked.

Once they reached a street intersection, they stopped and finally looked at each other.

"I've missed you," he said, raising her hand to kiss the back of it.

She blushed and pulled him closer to her. Then, she pulled his head down and kissed his lips hard. Suga felt her sincerity and returned it. Soon, they were pushing each other, fighting for dominance in the kiss. When the light changed, signaling for them to cross the street, they broke away, breathing heavily.

"I've definitely missed that," he muttered, smiling widely.

They hurried to cross the street, even though they didn’t have a distinct destination. Soon enough, they found an empty park and decided to sit on one of the benches.

"Does your father know that you're here?" Ye Jin asked, suddenly turning serious.

"Of course not," Suga replied, matching her tone.

"Why are you risking coming here?"

"I needed to see you. They're thinking of abolishing the separation laws."

Ye Jin's mouth gaped open. This wasn’t the news she was expecting to hear today.

Seeing her surprised expression, Suga went on to explain. "They've been too many complaints of people having difficulty finding employment and a lot of the top schools are here in the North, so the Min members are complaining for their children as well."

Ye Jin nodded, understanding the situation. "How soon can they abolish it?"

"Once all the leaders agree. There's going to be a meeting this weekend."

"Does that mean we can be in the same district again?"

"Looks like it," Suga said, smiling at her hopeful face. "I would definitely fight for that."

Ye Jin linked her arm with his and leaned her head on his shoulder. It had been so long since she had hope for her own future. Apart from school, her relationship with Suga is what she really wanted. If she could go back to seeing him every day, she would be eager to wake up to the sunlight every morning.

They spent the rest of the night catching up with each other; talking about their colleges and their degrees. She could listen to his voice for hours. But, she needed to get back home before everyone else woke up and he needed to go back to hiding in his motel.

They planned to meet up the next night, once it was as quiet as this one. Ye Jin yearned for their next meeting as she closed the house gates between them. She looked at him as he strolled off through the dark streets of her neighborhood, wishing for the day that they wouldn’t have to meet in the dark.