Moving Forward

Incantations of Fate

That night, Ye Jin and Suga managed to clean up the house a bit. Suga admitted to purchasing the house as it was just sitting there on the market with no prospective buyers. 

Suga made a few calls to his father, assuring him that he would return to HQ on the weekend. From Ye Jin's standpoint, Suga was apprehensive about telling his family anything about her, and she understood that.  

When Suga drifted off to sleep, Ye Jin entered the kitchen and took the newspaper that Suga left on the dining table. She read through it as thoroughly as she could, catching up with all the recent news and becoming acquainted with this time's political and economic stability. Next, she reached the classifieds and skimmed through the employment section, knowing that she had to get a job and make a life of her own. She found a small article, advertising for a research assistant. She didn't particularly like the prospect of research, but it was for a University professor who was looking into the supernatural history. Since she had spent her childhood learning and interpreting ancient magic in various books, she figured it couldn't hurt to apply. 

As she had no qualifications, she opted to add in a lot of false information into her application. Even if the employers were to look up on her history, she just needed to use her magic a little and make them believe that she was honest.  

When she finished drafting up her resume, she e-mailed it to the professor, along with a few other jobs that seemed doable. She closed Suga's laptop and returned to bed.  

When she slipped in, his arms covered her waist, pulling her closer to him, almost as though he was waiting for her to join him. It wasnt long before she drifted off into sleep. 

--- 

When the sun poured through the bedroom window, Ye Jin awoke. Next to her, Suga was curled up, fighting for the last chances of sleep before the sun got to him. She quietly rose to her feet and made her way to the laptop in the kitchen, eager to check her e-mail. To her surprise, the University professor emailed her a reply, requesting an interview later that day. He indicated the time and Ye Jin was eager to oblige.  

An hour later, Suga emerged from the bedroom and greeted Ye Jin with a deep kiss. He pulled her hips towards him and pushed his lips onto hers, grateful to see her for another day. When they broke away, she handed him a cup of steaming coffee and told him about the interview. 

"That's very sudden," Suga commented, taking a seat on the dusty sofa and taking a tentative sip from his mug. 

"I figured I should get on with life now," she replied, joining him. 

He nodded and said, "I just thought you'd want to take a while to see how things are different here." 

"I do, but life isn't going to stop for me to do that. I need to get things in order." 

"Alright," he muttered. Then, after taking a breath, he asked, "So, what time is the interview? I'll drop you and we can get something to eat after." 

"It's at 11." 

With that, they agreed to go get ready to leave. Ye Jin realized she had no clothes in the house, but then she calmed herself and used her magic to conjure up suitable clothes for the interview.  

When she emerged from the bathroom, clothed and ready to go, Suga gave her an approving grin and placed his hands on her waist, bending down to snuggle a kiss onto her neck.  

When they were ready, Suga dropped her off to the University and she found the professor's office with ease. The interview passed without incident and when he asked about her history regarding supernatural studies, she told him honestly about her granddmother's interest in the supernatural and learning from her growing up. The professor beamed with pride and ended the interview there. He told her that she had practically gotten the job and he just needed to sort out his office before he asked her to join him. 

She thanked him and left, giddy with pride and success. She met up with Yoon Gi and relayed the good news. They then proceeded to get something to eat at a nearby Chinese restaurant. 

In the middle of their jjajjangmyuns, a man came up to their table. 

"Min Yoon Gi?" he asked, staring incredulously at Suga. 

"Kim Ji Ho?" Suga replied, putting down his chopsticks and welcoming the other. Ye Jin ceased her eating and plastered on a polite smile at the stranger. "This is my girlfriend, Ye Jin." 

Ye Jin nodded at the man, aware that Suga had left out her last name. She caught on quickly that this friend of Suga's was a part of the Min clan and wanted to keep him in the dark about her heritage.  

After a little catching up, the visitor left and Suga and Ye Jin recommenced eating. After a short while, Suga cleared his throat, glancing hesitantly at her. 

"I-I'm going to tell my father about you later today." 

"What? Are you sure?" She asked, worried. 

"Yes. I can't keep you hidden forever. Plus, there have been relationships between the clans before, so this shouldn't be too difficult for him to deal with." 

Ye Jin sat back in her seat, trying to think of a solution if his father tries to hurt her as he once did. Suga sensed her fear and spoke up.  

"Don't worry. If he tries anything, I can just threaten him; I have a lot of dirt on him." 

She shook her head and said, "No. The only way this will work if all the barriers between the clan are removed."  

The minute she said it, she had a sense of deja-vu overcome her. This was exactly what Suga from the future had warned her about; her success in destroying the barriers. She promised herself that she wouldn't let it happen, but what else could she do? It really was their only option.  

Suga looked at her incredulously. "That's impossible." 

"No, it's not." 

When those three words left , she felt a resilience cover her. She wanted this to happen and she was going to make it happen. Ending the barriers was not a bad thing, but she had to make sure that the civil war that future Suga warned her about never came to pass. This was an issue within the clans and she wanted to keep it that way.  

This was her chance to make a positive change in the lives of her oppressed clan members and for her to finally be happy with Yoon Gi. She was going to grab at it with full force.