Getting the Right Answers

Incantations of Fate

Yoon Gi waited up for her, pacing to pass the time. When she opened the door and returned, he ambushed her with questions. 

"Where the hell were you?" He asked, taking in her disheveled state. 

She looked down at her clothing and dusted out her jacket, hoping that too much dust didn’t settle there. "I was just out." 

"Out where?" 

"Just out. I couldn’t stay here all day, waiting  for you." 

Suga walked right up to her and placed his hands on her shoulders, forcing her to look at him. "What did you do?" His tone turned from curiosity to fear. 

"I just went for a walk." 

Suga shook his head and said, "I just got a call that the meeting hall has collapsed and you show up here looking like you've been on a construction site. Where the hell did you go?" 

She sighed and, giving in, replied, "I was there." 

"Did you cause it?" His stern glare burned into her eyes. 

She merely nodded and watched his gaze drift downwards. Her heart leapt at his look of utter disappointment. To make it worse, she knew that his father was dead while he was still in the dark. She didn't want him to hear about it and come back to accuse her, so she decided to tell him. "There's more." 

"What more?" He asked, dropping his grip on her shoulders. His arms hung limply at his sides as he looked at her, exhausted.  

"Your father was there. He knew i would take the bait and go after the blood jars. He-" 

"Where is he?" 

Ye Jin looked away from him, looking at anything except his fearful eyes.  

"Ye Jin-ah, where is my father?" 

"He confronted me; he wanted to fight it out." 

She kept her back to him, hearing the harsh intakes of breath as Suga attempted to calm his nerves. She could almost hear him calculating while he remained silent.  

"You won?" He asked, almost whispering to her in the still noise of the room. 

She nodded and turned to him. "I didn’t have a choice; he was going to kill me otherwise." 

"You killed my father." It wasn't a question. He was stating it and the expression of disgust that covered his face made her realize that she made the wrong choice; she should have died. 

"Yoon Gi-ah," she said, making a move towards him. 

Before she could get close enough, he held out his hands, his palms facing her. He looked away and shook his head, making his way for the door. 

"Yoon Gi-ah," she muttered, but Suga made no move to signal that he had heard her. He left the room and pulled the door shut behind him with a force that shook through the room.  

--- 

Sleep escaped ye Jin that night. She continuously called Suga, and of course he never answered or returned any of the calls. When it got to 3 AM, Ye Jin decided to focus on something else for the time and that was finding the blood jars. She tried to recall anything that any of the Park witches talked about when agreements were being made, but the actual process was never mentioned.  

Assuming that Suga's father was telling her the truth about the blood jars, Ye Jin opted to ask a Park leader. Cautiously, Ye Jin left the motel and made the familiar route to the house in which they held the clan meetings. This house also loomed over her, and she could sense the power that emanated from it, just begging her to enter. This place felt more like home than anywhere else.  

Unlike the meeting hall, this building was open 24/7 as it served as a safe house for abandoned and lost witches. She gingerly opened the front door and the familiar aura enveloped her. She breathed it in, enjoying the wave of nostalgia that overcame her. 

In front of her, a woman was sitting on a sofa and looked over at her curiously. Ye Jin ignored her and made her way through the halls of the house, knowing exactly where the head witch was.  

As she made her way to the tall, wooden doors that she remembered from her past time here, she took a deep breath, steadying her racing heart. She needed answers but she had nothing to offer in return; she was relying solely on the honesty of a fellow Park witch to give her assistance.  

She knocked three times and pushed open the doors. In front of her, on the far end of the room was a mahogany desk, similar to that of Suga's father. Behind that, sat a mature woman, who Ye Jin recalled clearly and offered her a polite, welcoming smile. When Ye Jin walked in, the doors shut behind her, making the silence between the two women deafening. She became aware of the several bookcases that were piled to the ceiling with books and encompassed the room. She felt refreshed as the sight of such works of history around her. A greedy part of her felt like she belonged her and deserved to be here. 

"May I help you?" The elder woman asked, breaking Ye Jin from her inner thoughts.  

Ye Jin made her way to the desk and took the seat in front of it, after the elder motioned for her to do so.  

"Hello, ma'am, I'm Park-" Ye Jin began. 

"Ye Jin?" The elder finished, gaining a look of shock from the younger. 

"How did you-?" 

"I saw you coming. You look very much like your mother. However, I was told that you disappeared a few years ago. What are you doing here?" 

Ye Jin felt a rush of admiration for this woman, both at her ability and her being so forward with Ye Jin. She wanted to exude that kind of power and respect one day and she smiled through the conversation, keeping the positive vibe going. 

"I was hoping to find out some information about how agreements between the clans are made." 

The elder sat up in her chair and stared at Ye Jin curiously. "Why?" 

It was a simple, one-word question but it was the question she never told the truth to anymore. "I'm just curious, I suppose." 

The elder chuckled. "Let me get this right. You disappear for years and when you return, you come to this refuge for Park witches and the reason is to know how agreements are made? Something seems to be missing in this story." Despite her casual composure, her eyes bore into Ye Jin's, waiting for her to drop her façade.  

"I've been through a lot. Getting some information may just put my mind at ease." 

Ye Jin continued to fall under the elder's gaze. The older witch leaned forward, crossing her arms on the desk. "I just got a call about the meeting hall being caved in. I couldn't help but wonder what happened to it." 

"I don’t see what that has to do with-" 

"It's just strange, Park Ye Jin," the elder stated, cutting her off. "You show up on the same night that the meeting hall is destroyed. Put yourself in my shoes; would you answer a girl who just showed up under such circumstances?" 

Ye Jin shifted in her seat, letting her confidence falter slightly. She regretted it instantly as the elder stood up and made her way around the desk to face Ye Jin.  

"I believe you have some explaining to do." 

Ye Jin, trying to salvage her pride and confidence, stood as well and kept her gaze on the elder. "I just want answers. Tell me, sister. How are the agreements between the clans made?" 

The elder smirked and replied, "By blood, of course. However, they cannot be undone. The only way to change an agreement is to make an entirely new one." 

Ye Jin processed the information and realized that she didn't need to find or destroy the blood jars; she needed to take over and make new laws.  

As if reading her mind, the elder said, "The only way for an agreement to be completed is to have one person from each clan; one person cannot be enough." 

"Thank you." 

"You're very welcome. Perhaps you can give me some information now. How about, where you went when you just disappeared?" 

"Perhaps not," Ye Jin replied, feeling her power course through her veins. "I'll be leaving now," she said, bowing slightly to the elder. 

The elder merely chuckled. "You have a power that will end you, child. It will consume you and all you care about. Your control will fade and you will fail whatever you seek." 

Ye Jin strolled out of the office, her back to the elder as she spoke. Once she was safely outside, in front of the closed doors, she let out a shaky breath, letting her heart rate return to a safe rate.  

She needed to move and move quickly.