Truth

Incantations of Fate

When Ye Jin came to, she was hooked up to an IV in a private hospital room. She looked down at her body, checking to see if she had earned any injuries. The memories clouded her mind and all she could see was Yoon Gi's mischievous smile bearing down at her from the corner of the road.  

From what she could see, she had a couple bruises on her right arm, but other than that, she was good to go. She wondered what had happened to cause this mere injury but her questions would have to wait as he Aunt came through the door.  

"Oh! Ye Jin-ah, you're awake!" She exclaimed upon seeing her niece. She hurried to the side of the bed where Ye Jin was now sitting up. 

"How long have I been here?" She asked, making sure of her timeline. 

"Just the night, darling. That boy, Yoon Gi, brought you to the hospital and-" 

"Wait, Yoon Gi did?" She asked, perplexed.  

Her Aunt nodded and was confused. "You weren't with him last night?" 

"No, I wasn’t." 

Her Aunt shook her head and said, "Well, if you want to talk to him, he's right outside. He stayed up all night and made sure no one entered to disturb you." 

Now, Ye Jin was doubly confused. Why would someone who tried to kill her last night be here, making sure she was safe? Something was not adding up. 

"Let him in then, please," Ye Jin said.  

Her Aunt got up and went to the door. She whispered something and Ye Jin could feel his presence before she saw him. When he appeared in the doorway, his hair was disheveled and his sneakers were dirty. He really looked exhausted, but not the type of exhaustion that came from lack of sleep; there was something a lot more meaningful bothering him. 

Her Aunt closed the door behind him so that it was only Suga and Ye Jin in the room. He looked at her, gauging whether or not he should proceed. 

"We can't talk from there," Ye Jin said.  

He took that as his hint to sit next to her. However, when he reached her bedside, she flinched, so he settled into a seat next to the table by her bed.  

After a moment of silence, Ye Jin said, "What exactly happened last night?" 

Suga met her gaze and his eyes softened. He had recited in his head all night what he would tell her when he saw her, but he always felt weak under her stare. There was nothing he could say or do that would remove this pain from her heart, but all he could do was try. 

"Ye Jin-ah," he began, but she cut him off. 

"Why did you try to kill me? Did I hurt you that much?" She was raising her voice and her eyes began to water. 

"Kill you? I would never!" He protested.  

She scoffed and turned to her right, looking out the window where the first few flecks of color glittered the night signaling the oncoming dawn. She heard Suga sigh and her anger increased. 

"I didn’t try to kill you; I saved you." 

Ye Jin closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "If you didn’t kill me, then who did?" 

"My father did," he said. 

She turned back to face him. "Your father? How did your father have the same face as you?" She didn't know whether he was telling the truth or covering up some lie.  

Suga nodded, understanding her confusion. "For decades, my father has been studying a type of magic to distort one's mind. I believe he used that on you to turn you against me and to go so far as to kill you last night." 

Her anger subsided. His gaze softened and he looked like a kicked puppy. Her heart ached for him, but she needed to keep her guard up in case of anything. 

"Last night, I told my father that I was going to go to school here in ChunCheon. Naturally, he assumed that it was because you and I are still a couple. He stormed out and I went to look for him. When i finally found him, he was at the crossway, and I could sense he was using magic. Then I saw you cowering in the middle of the road and I put two and two together." 

"Then, how did I end up here?"  

"I stopped him. I tackled him and stopped the oncoming cars. A lot of people in the streets were confused by the sudden stop, but I rushed to get you and ran off towards the hospital." 

She nodded. "Then where is your father now?"  

"I'm not sure. I called the council while I was waiting for you and told them what had happened. If he's found, they'll-they'll kill him." 

"Come here," Ye Jin said, gesturing to the space on her bed. She knew that his father was a terrible man, but no child should have to live with being the cause of their own father's death.  

Suga moved next to her and lay down. Ye Jin followed and she was encircled in his arms. She took the chance to breath in his scent, the scent that haunted her for months; the scent that she had to force out of her memories whenever she was with Jung Kook.  

After a moment, she felt the steady rhythm of his chest and heartbeat and she knew he was finally sleeping. She looked up at him and gently his cheek with her hand, feeling grateful for him being there last night. 

"Thank you," she whispered.  

Suga moved slightly at her voice and the corners of his lips twitched upwards to show a subtle smile. Her heart warmed at the sight, and for a moment, just a sliver of a moment, she wondered why she ever pushed him away.