A Change in Pace

Incantations of Fate

The dreaded class began: P.E. Ye Jin dressed last, and entered the yard last, hoping to go by unnoticed. So far, no one even spared a glance in her direction. The teacher lined them up and told them to separate into two teams to play a friendly game of baseball. Ye Jin wasn't too familiar with the game, but if she didn't have to be in the sun the whole time, she was happy. 

Her team was up to bat, leaving her and a few others, including her cousin Nam Joon, on the sidelines to cheer. After two of her teammates made their bases, she was up to bat. She quickly took her position and raised the bat in the air, ready to make an honest attempt. She looked ahead and her heart skipped a beat as she saw that Yoon Gi was the pitcher. He looked from the ball in his hand to her and his expression stiffened. He was staring at her and she couldn't tell why.  

Once the teacher prompted him, he threw the ball with a little less force than normal and Ye Jin swung. The bat made contact with the ball and went flying. The fielder missed the catch, and Ye Jin ran to take her base. She was safe in the base and she let out a smile, feeling glad that she didn't embarrass herself in front of her classmates. 

From the first base, she could feel Yoon Gi's gaze on her, but she ignored him. Another ball was thrown and the first hitter made it to home base.  

After the first innings, Ye Jin regrouped with her team and she was placed to field close to the back boundary. She nodded, glad to be far away from anyone.  

The game went on well, without incident. Once time passed, the game ended with her team winning. The students made their way back to the classrooms to change into their uniforms. Ye Jin strolled over to the water taps under the shed next to the field. No one was there, so she felt safe. 

After she splashed the cool water on her face, she heard someone coming towards her. She stood up and on the opposite side of the taps, Yoon Gi stood, staring hard at her. 

She let her hands feel the cool water before turning off the tap. As she moved to leave the shed, Suga approached her. In one swift movement, he gripped her bruised arm and raised it. She winced from the shot of pain that radiated throughout her body. 

"Who did this to you?" He demanded. 

She pulled her arm forcefully from his grip and rubbed it. "That's none of your business." 

He took a step towards her. "You're a witch. Can't you at least defend yourself?" 

She looked away.  

"Seeing as you know the basics, that means that these bruises were caused by someone you can't defend yourself against. Should I take a guess?" 

"You can guess all you like." 

"Was it your father?" 

She cringed. He chuckled. 

"I'm right, aren't I?" 

She turned back to him. "Good for you. You guessed right. Do you want some kind of prize?" She could feel the heat radiating through her body, making her become stern and temperamental 

She shoved past him and made her way back to the class, never looking back. Her arm throbbed and all he could focus on was who hurt her? She was in pain and he was interrogating her. A migraine was forming and she needed her space.  

--- 

Classes resumed after lunch as usual and Ye Jin was exhausted. She lay her head on her desk and faced the wall, eager for some relief. JungKook opened his textbook and got ready for the next class. He asked if she was okay and she told him that she was just tired, which stopped him from asking anything further. 

"Park Ye Jin!" The teacher at the front of the class exclaimed. 

She sat up, not ready to deal with a teacher's displeased expression.  

"Sit up and pay attention! Or, would you like to come to the front of the class and show us how this formula can be applied?" 

She took the challenge. Apologizing was not an option for her right now. In front of the class, she took the whiteboard marker and solved the question in record time. The teacher looked at her incredulously.  

"Th-that's correct." 

Ye Jin nodded and made her way back to her seat. Nam Joon gave her a thumbs up and Jung Kook gave her a slight pat on the back. She smiled at them and lay her head on the desk once more.  

From across the room, Suga stared at her, begging her to look at him. He knew she was upset but he didn't know what to do to make it better. 

After the school day ended, Ye Jin made the route to her apartment. However, this time, she felt like something was off. She felt as though someone was shadowing her, watching her every move. She reached a major intersection and waited for the light to turn green. Eve since the last accident she had, she was always wary of these big intersections.  

However, she needed to cross to get home. The light changed and the people around her stopped moving. It was as though time stood still. She looked to the still woman next to her and gasped when she saw the strands of the woman's hair standing still in the air. She moved around, and she found that only she could move. This never happened before and wondered what was going on. Maybe it was just her desire to cross without any rushing cars; maybe she was just scared and wanted to arrive safe. 

Before she could question herself again, she noticed someone on the other end of the street staring back at her. The person didn't seem to move, like she could. So, she took advantage of this strange occurrence and hurried over to them. They were wearing a hooded jacket, so she pulled it off and gasped when she saw the person's frozen face. 

Staring back at her with still eyes, was Suga. But, that made no sense. School just finished so there was no way that he changed his clothes and was ahead of her. 

So, who was this guy?