Sacrifice

Incantations of Fate

Finally, Yoon Gi answered her calls just as she entered the motel room. 

"Yeah," he greeted groggily. She could almost smell the alcohol on his breath through the phone. 

"I need to see you," she stated. 

"Good for you, little miss perfect," he retorted. 

She sighed and replied, "you're drunk." 

"So what if I am?" 

"Whatever. You should be drunk, given the circumstances." 

She heard him chuckle on the other end. "'Under the circumstances', huh? You mean the girl I loved since high school being my father's killer?" 

"I can’t apologize enough for that, but I found out how to fix things. We don't need the blood jars; all we need-" 

"Are you serious right now?" He asked bitterly, cutting her off. "You're still after this peace thing after my father was killed, by you?!" 

She flinched at the anger and outrage that flooded with his words. Although he was drunk, she knew that he was in full control of his words and what he was saying now were his true feelings. 

"I don't care what you do, just don't let anyone else die. I just don’t care what happens anymore," he said and then the call ended. 

She sat on the un-made motel room, shocked into silence, the phone laying in her lap. If he didn't care, then what was the point of all this? She couldn't change the future between the clans if he didn’t want any part in it. Clearly, she underestimated how close he and his father were. Before, the two were filled with tension but, because she traveled too quickly in time, their relationship must have strengthened. She cursed herself for having another change in the present time because of her impatience.  

She knew she had to make things right with Suga. She already lost her family and whatever few friends she made in high school; she couldn't bear to lose him too. 

Naturally, she headed out, making the familiar route to the Park witch clan house. She knew there was a library there that held decades and centuries of magic rituals and incantations. She didn't know what she was looking for, but she needed to at least make an effort.  

--- 

If she were being honest with herself, she would know that her power was getting to her head. Before, the head Park witch warned her of it, but she was too concerned with her mission to heed the warning. Now, as she entered the house exuding grace and dominance over the confused witches, she got a sense of how self-absorbed she was becoming.  

The library was stacked from the floor to the ceiling, just as she expected and she was alone, thankfully. She found the aisle with the more ancient, dust-covered books. If she wanted to pull off the unexpected, she needed to go back way back in time for the spell.  

After an hour, she stumbled upon a tattered diary at the back of one of the shelves. When she opened it, a page fluttered to the ground and she rushed to pick it up. The title alone on the page made her blood run cold. In bold, cursive writing was the title, "Redire ad Vitam", literally meaning, "Return to Life." She hurried to skim the notes beneath it, trying to find out how difficult this spell really was. 

It seemed easy enough; it was a regular give and take. To get a life, she had to sacrifice another. Once again, she could feel her greed coming to the forefront; all she wanted was his father back even if that meant giving up an innocent  life. She caught herself and knew she couldn't do that. She wondered if she could sacrifice part of her life, but that was darker magic and all nerves in her body were opposed to the thought.  

 She folded the page and shoved it into the back pocket of her jeans. Returning the book to its place, she made her way back into the street, eager to get the ingredients for the spell. 

--- 

It didn't take  long for her to get the goods; in fact, it was incredibly easy, almost too easy, but she didnt want to dwell on that fact. One of the main things that she needed was  her own blood. To facilitate, she placed a sharp dagger at her side and headed to the near-by bus stop, to get to the rural area of the province. Ideally, she would have been to the place where the body would be, but she was not entirely sure what happened to it once it was recovered. She dare not ask Yoon Gi, afraid that he would detest her even more than he currently did.  

By the time she arrived in the rural area, she retreated into the darkness of the forest, hidden within the towering trees. She reached far enough and settled down on the hard earth. Once she unpacked the ingredients, she began mixing them together, as instructed by the page. When the time came, she took out her dagger and pressed the tip of the blade against her wrist. She knew the cut had to be deep enough to draw out a heavy amount. So, resigning herself, she pushed the blade and dragged it along her forearm. The blood seeped out and she immediately placed her arm over the mixture and let it drip out until it made her feel unbearably weak. When that point came, she drew back her arm and recited the healing spell in her  mind and the wound healed with ease.  

She leaned back slightly, desperate to ease her dizziness and light-headedness. After a short while, she forced herself to continue with the spell. It was common knowledge that magic this dark and powerful required power, a power that consumed its user. She ignored that, continuing to be stubborn and pictured Suga's father in her mind. She recited the incantation at the bottom of the spell page and felt her power overcome her; her very soul was on fire. This was a type of power that she had yet to feel and now that it was here, it frightened her. It was literally as though her power was a separate entity and wanted to be the main host and take over her very being. It was threatening but she couldn’t bring herself to stop. She told herself that she needed to do this to make things right with Suga and if it meant  losing herself, then she would do it.  

When the spell began to really take effect, she remembered that she missed something; a sacrificial life. Her eyes widened with fear, especially since the spell continued to work. Only when the familiar frame of Suga's father began to form in front of her, did she realize what was happening to  her. Her overthrow of power was using her soul as the sacrifice. Her power was not just consuming her, it was sacrificing her so that all that would  be left would be her magic and her above-average abilities.  

She tried to retrieve the spell, to undo it, but it was too late. Slowly, she felt her core being pulled from her; her magic was separating her from her magic and it burned through her.  

Yoon Gi's father's form began to be covered in skin, and his facial expression was one of shock; clearly he didn’t expect to be brought  back to  life, especially by her. Now, Ye Jin was on her knees, doubled over, trying to get her soul to stay in her body. With one swift  motion, Yoon Gi's father took his first breath and Ye Jin's soul ripped from her being, heading upwards. She watched as it faded right before her eyes.  

She collapsed completely, feeling completely drained.  

"Park Ye Jin?" The elder whispered as he took his first step towards the young witch. 

Her name was the last thing she heard before the darkness consumed her, inside and out.