Cheer Up, Ye Jin!

Incantations of Fate

Suga sat next to her on the cold park bench, placing his bag from the convenient store next to him. Ye Jin hurriedly wiped at her eyes, trying to hide the traces of her crying moment. 

Suga pulled her arm, forcing her to face him. When he saw her reddened eyes, he scooted closer to her and held her hand in his. 

"What happened?" He asked, showing his concern. 

Ye Jin shook her head, reluctant to tell him anything. This would be the second time he saw her crying in the same day. She looked at her hand in his and pulled away quickly.  

"Is it about your brother again?" He pried. 

"More like the whole family." 

"Why didn’t you just put them in their place with magic?" 

The smile in his voice made her smile in return.  

After a while of silence between them, Ye Jin said, "My entire family hates me. They don’t want me near them." 

"Just because of that fire?" 

She nodded. Next to the park was a convenience store and Ye Jin's stomach reminded her that she hadn't eaten yet.  

"Here," Suga said, showing her his bag of purchases. Inside were two cup ramyuns, canned coffee and packages kimchi. She smiled but shook her head. "Fine." 

Suga hovered his hand over hers and conjured a roll of kimbap, still in the foil packaging.  

Ye Jin chuckled but rather than remove it this time, she opened it and took a bite. Kimbap was, by far, her go-to food, merely because it was cheap and made her full. She offered Suga one, but instead of taking it, he leaned his head towards her and opened his mouth, saying "Ah." 

Ye Jin chuckled and threw a circular piece to the back of his throat, causing him to gag. He bent over, trying to get the food dislodged, all the while hearing Ye Jin laugh loudly.  

"Yah!" He exclaimed once he was safe. There was a hint of a smile forming as he watched Ye Jin's joyous moment.  

After she finished the roll, she asked, "Were you always a careless student?" 

"Always. It's part of my charm." 

"Pfft, charm?" 

"Of course. Think about it, who do you remember most when you leave school? Obviously, it's the student who always disrupted the peace." He leaned back, seeming pleased with his lifestyle. 

"I don’t like it. Especially when you look like you're gonna kill someone." Her tone was low as she avoided looking at him.  

"Should I be a little nicer then?" 

She nodded.  

"I can't make any promises." 

"At least start off with being nicer to Jung Kook." 

"Absolutely not. That guy deserves to be on my bad side." 

She looked at him directly in the eyes. "What happened between the two of you?" 

Suga smirked and said, "We were once friends but then we got in some serious trouble in school, and he threw me under the bus. I took all the blame and got punished for something I never did. Got a good beating from my dad too, when I got suspended." 

Ye Jin remained quiet, trying to imagine Jung Kook doing something so low to his friend. Maybe she had been wrong to judge him aa purely good person. Then again, no one is ever truly pure, right? 

Ye Jin rose to her feet. "I should be going; it's getting late." 

"Wait! I have another instruction for tomorrow." 

"What is it?" 

"Meet me on the roof tomorrow morning." 

"Why?" 

"You'll see. Good night." 

"Good night, Yoon Gi." 

He looked taken aback by hearing her call him by his real name. But, as she walked away from him, he smiled to himself, glad that she left him happier than he found her.  

--- 

Ye Jin made it to her apartment safely. Outside her door were small plastic food boxes filled with side dishes from the neighboring women. She smiled, always grateful that they were looking after her in their own way. She made a mental note to get them something when Christmas came around.  

Once she was safely inside, she changed her clothes for more comfortable attire. As she eased herself into her bed, her phone lit up; it was a text message. 

Suga: Don’t you ever call me Yoon Gi again. 

Ye Jin: It's cuter than Suga. 

Suga: My name is cute, or I'm cute? 

Ye Jin: Your name, obviously! 

Suga: Did you reach home safely? 

Ye Jin: Yes, of course. Did you? 

Suga: Yes. Good night, Park Ye Jin. 

Ye Jin: Good night, Min Yoon Gi.