One Shall Fall

Incantations of Fate

Suga called her twice while they were separated, assuring her that his father was accepting the news better with every passing hour. To her, it seemed more like his father was putting thoughts of his son's relationship to the back of  his mind and taking on his daily tasks. She told him where she was and he told her that he wouldn't be back until  much later that night.  

Ye Jin ended the call, knowing that whenever Suga arrived to her motel that she wouldn't be home.  

When the clock showed 9:45, she left the motel and headed for the meeting hall. The streets were almost emptied of people and the building loomed  over her as she drew closer. She stood still as she reached the edge of the building, trying to gauge if there was anyone inside.  

When she was certain that no one was there, she flicked her wrist, opening the front door. She  slipped in and carefully returned the lock behind her. The front hall was littered with plants at each corner and there were wall lights throughout the room. Not wanting to bring attention to herself, she left the lights off. She just hoped that she didn't bump into anything to set off any alarms.  

Slowly, she made her way from the front hall to the farthest door on the left. The hallway was slim but the door at the back looked as though it was blending in with the rest of the wall, so she hoped that this was the room to the basement.  

As she moved, she was convinced that Suga's father had lied to her about where the blood jars were, since entering this building was way too easy. 

Her desperation outweighed her fear as she pushed the door. It gave way easily and she descended the dusty, cobweb-covered stairs. She figured that they were dusty since there was no need to have any recent agreements.  

Peering into the darkness, she decided to get  a light out, so she conjured a candle and lit it with ease. At the base of the stairs stood a singular door, a replica of the door she just passed through. She pushed it, hoping that it would give way just as the other did. However, that was not going to work this time. The moment her hand made contact with the door, the edges of a forcefield glittered against her light. She smirked and recalled an incantation from one of her Grandmother's ancient books that destroyed these  kinds of barriers. She recited it in her mind and then tried pushing the door again. The force field was gone but the door remained locked. Rather than locked, it seemed as though there was something behind it that was restricting her.  

She cast her light around the edges of the door and scowled as she noticed that there were no hinges anywhere. The door was being held up with mere magic and that made this all the more difficult. She figured that if she couldn't remove the door completely, she could go through it.  

She mustered her energy and placed her right hand, with the palm facing forward, in front of the door. She willed it to crack and when her magic mixed with her will, it gave way. There was a singular vertical crack in the center of the door and she smiled to herself, feeling successful.  

The next part was to create an opening large enough for her to enter the room. So, she conjured up a small but powerful windstorm around her and pushed it towards the door, aiming directly on the crack. Within seconds, other cracks stemmed from the main one, spreading like blood veins. She took a step forward, just as the storm subsided, and kicked the crack. It gave in, crumbling at her feet.  

Her confidence was restored and her energy was at an all-time high. She didn't feel fazed at all. She stepped into the room, bringing the light with her. Her smile slowly faded as she took in the room. 

In front of her were shelves and shelves of ancient parchment, which listed the names of all the witches from both clans all the way back to the 1600s. There was no other way out of the room, no doors or windows. She scowled at the room, knowing that Yoon Gi's father had tricked her.  

Hurriedly, she rushed out of the room and returned to the front room. Before she could undo the lock to the front door, someone chuckled behind her. 

"I knew you were planning something," the voice greeted. 

She spun on her heels and came face-to-face with Suga's father.  

"Good work with the door, though. Very impressive." 

"So, what now? Are you going to kill me?" She taunted. 

"And risk a war breaking out between the clans? Oh, no, dear child." 

"Then what?" She yelled at him. 

"I'm going to make you kill me." 

"That'll still bring war," she said, glaring at him. 

"Yes, but you'll have to deal with it, not me. To be honest, I've always wanted the clans to battle it out and I know that the Min clan will win since you Park witches know nothing about war." 

She scoffed at his presumption and replied, "Yoon Gi won't like me for killing his father." 

"And he won't like me for trying to keep you two apart," he countered. 

"So we fight?" 

The elder nodded and said, "we fight." 

He struck out his hand and closed in on itself, choking her. She fell to the floor but remained eye contact with the attacker, trying to think of a spell or anything to get him to release his grip. She wanted this fight to end quickly, but not with her death. 

She slammed her palm into the tiled ground and it cracked under her power. Using her mind, she lifted a piece of tile and chucked it at his throat. The piece made contact and his grip on slackened.  

She used that opportunity to rise to her feet and gather her power. She knew what she had to do. Sure, she could use magic to kill him but that kind of magic required a recipe and an incantation, neither of which she knew off-hand. Her next and only option was to kill him like a regular human.  

She allowed the energy to flow through her, mixing with her magic and reaching its full capacity. Every edge of her body tingled with the sheer force that wanted release. She looked at the building around her and her hands out, letting the energy seem from her body. The walls became lined with cracks and the cracks became more jagged and deepened with even inch it spread.  

The elder readjusted himself in time to see what she was doing. His eyes roamed over her, seeing the glow that encompassed her as her energy and pure power seemed to surround them.  

When the cracks reached to the ceiling, there was one loud crack and the ceiling caved in on itself. The elder was shocked in place and he seemed to accept his demise in one split second. Ye Jin managed to create a barrier around her as the first chips of cement touched her. She brought her hands down, and with them, the entire ceiling and the pillars came crashing down.  

She glanced over at the elder and watched the fear in his eyes and a part of her, a part that had remained silent througout her years, sought joy in his pain. They both knew that  he was going to die while she would move on.  

The rubble settled around her and from under several large blocks of cement, she could see the elder's foot peeking out. She used her mind to life the pieces, just to make sure that he was dead. When his still frame looked back at her, she smiled to herself, letting herself enjoy the rewards that came with this power.  

She was going to win and she would deal with whatever consequences came after this. She would lead if she had to and she would handle Suga's grief when that time came.  

The building was collapsed and the outside air swished around her, welcoming her to a new future; one which she controlled and one in which she was the leading role.