Time Jump

Incantations of Fate

**3 Months Later** 

With every passing day, Ye Jin thought less and less of Yoon Gi. Now that she received messages and calls from Jung Kook, Suga was almost non-existent. Ye Jin often found herself blushing at the possibility of Jung Kook by her side every day. He had spoken with the officials in his University in Busan and, starting January, he would be attending her college in Chuncheon.  

It was a quiet, cool Saturday evening and Ye Jin was free from classes for the week, so she could return home, looking forward to the remainder of her weekend. She especially looked forward to seeing Jung Kook as he was coming up to see her that evening and to spend the following day with her. Although they were not exclusive, Ye Jin knew that Jung Kook didn’t have anyone else of whom he was fond in Busan.  

As she strolled up to her Aunt's house, she felt a familiar presence but brushed it off, believing that Jung Kook had arrived earlier than planned. However, as she rounded the last corner, she froze in her steps as Yoon Gi stared at her. He seemed just as amazed to see her, as she was of him. Slowly, she got her feet to respond and she arrived in front of him, leaving enough space between them so that he couldn’t touch her if he stretched out his arm.  

"Hey," he whispered against the cold breeze that passed between them. 

She nodded in response, giving him a questioning look. She wanted him to tell her why the hell he was here, why now of all times. 

"So, I'm moving to a University up here next year, January actually." He looked at her, desperate for any response whatsoever. 

"Okay, good luck," Ye Jin and turned left, heading for the house gates.  

Just as the pushed open the gates, he grabbed her forearm. "Ye Jin-ah," he pleaded. "Please, I-". 

"Ye Jin-ah!!" Jung Kook burst forth from the front door and rushed down the front steps to greet her. However, as he saw the visitor behind her, he froze, his grin falling from his face. 

"Oh, Jung Kook-ah. You're here early," Ye Jin said. It was clear to him that she was not okay. She was nervous and needed to get away, and Jung Kook took the hint clearly. 

"Come inside; it's cold out here," Jung Kook said, grasping her free hand. She clung to him immediately.  

When Suga saw their closeness, he released his clutch on her arm, and let her go.  

"Coming inside?" Jung Kook asked, directing the question to Suga this time. 

"May I?" Suga replied, looking towards Ye Jin.  

Without responding, she made her way to the house, pulling Jung Kook with her.  

--- 

They sat around the coffee table, with Nam Joon bringing them glasses of warm tea. When he sat down, the tension was clear throughout the room. 

"So," Nam Joon began, desperate for some sort of noise to pass among them. "Yoon Gi-ah, what brings you up here?" 

"I'm coming to school up here next year," Yoon Gi responded, taking a sip of his tea. 

"What?" Jung Kook asked, amazed. "Why on earth are you coming up here to study?" 

"Can't I?" Suga retorted, throwing a deadly glare across the room.  

"You can, but you shouldn't," Ye Jin said sternly staring into her tea glass.  

"There isn't a law that says that I can't." 

"Maybe there should be." 

"Yah! Park Ye Jin!" Suga shouted, raising to his feet.  

Ye Jin looked up at him, not fazed by his outburst.  "What's so wrong with the South?" 

"I  just need to get away from my Father for a while," Suga answered.  

"Okay, but why come see me today, then?" Ye Jin questioned, not giving in to how anxious she was feeling.  

"Because...I just needed to see how you were coping." 

"Coping? Nothing bad happened to me," Ye Jin responded. 

"What? You weren't fazed at all by what happened three months ago?" 

"Wait, what is he talking about?" Jung Kook interrupted.  

Ye Jin cursed internally; she never told Jung Kook about any of the magical stuff in her family, which meant that she never told him about the meeting with the Elders that she and Suga were required to attend to clear up their misunderstanding.  

"It's nothing serious," Ye Jin told Jung Kook.  

"It doesn’t seem like nothing," Jung Kook retorted. "Yoon Gi-ah, you tell me what's going on then." 

And he did. Suga told a complete mortal everything that had been going on. He even went so far as to inform him of what happened between the two of them when they were in YongKi High School together. By the time he was finished speaking, it was clear that there was information overload in Jung Kook's mind. Ye Jin couldn’t blame him; he just found out that the girl he was in love with was leading a different life, and harboring a life-changing secret.  

After a moment, Jung Kook turned to Ye Jin and asked, "So, if it wasn’t for this law keeping the two of you apart, would you have chosen him over me?" 

Ye Jin was taken aback. Out of all the questions she expected from him, that definitely was not one she saw coming. She stared back at him, unsure of how to respond.  

"Y-yes," she muttered, taking her eyes away from him. 

Jung Kook rose to his feet and began pacing the living room. He stopped only to look at Suga and asked, "So, three months ago, that's why you texted me to take care of her?" 

Suga nodded. 

Jung Kook scoffed. "So, I didn’t earn her affection; you merely gave her to me?" 

Suga opened his mouth to respond, but Ye Jin's voice was heard first.  

"Yah! Jeon Jung Kook! I'm not some kind of prize!" 

"Then why did you come to me?" Jung Kook hollered across the room, towards her.  

"Because I fell in love with you, you idiot!" 

The room fell silent.