The Unforeseeable Announcement

Incantations of Fate

When Ye Jin arrived home, her Grandmother called her, informing her that there was to be a clan meeting later that night. Her Grandmother made it seem more urgent than the other meetings, so Ye JIn knew she had to be on time. 

--- 
The meeting took place in one of the eldest Park witch's houses. When Ye Jin arrived, her grandmother hurried her to take her seat near the front. The room quickly filled with witches throughout the country and those who moved abroad were set up to video chat at several locations around the room.  

After a short while, the appointed leader of the clan made her way to the front. She was dressed in a violet dress that fell at her ankles and was adorned with several rings and enchanted amulets. Despite her age, her beauty shone through.  

"My dearest witch sisters, welcome to this impromptu meeting. The purpose for this is to inform you all that the Min clan has begun voting on their next leader. There have even been rumors that they will infiltrate out meetings to prove this when they think the time is right." 

There were gasps and murmurs throughout the crowd.  

"Now, now, we must not be swayed by this news. We must be prepared for anything and everything they may throw at us." 

Almost as if on purpose, there was a scuffle outside the room. All eyes faces the double doors, fearing the worst. As the noise drew closer, the witches stood up and slowly made their way to the back of the room. Ye Jin, on the other hand, remained seated at the front. 

The double doors opened with such force that the hinges were shaking. The visitor was recognized immediately by Ye Jin: it was the man with the black sedan at school; Suga's father.  

"Good evening, fair witches," he yelled throughout the room. 

Just as before, his eyes instinctively fell on Ye Jin and he chuckled, no doubt also recognizing her. From behind him, his son shuffled in, a little too confidently. 

He noticed Ye Jin and his face fell.  

"Sorry for the interruption, I just wanted you all to meet out next leader, my son." The father pulled his son to the forefront. However, Suga's eyes never left Ye Jin. 

Finally, Ye Jin stood up, and with her, her anger.  

"He doesn’t look like much," the Park leader scoffed. 

Clearly this wasn’t the impression his father planned. Seeing his son's concerned and somewhat embarrassed expression, he grew angry. However, he quickly followed his son gaze and realized that Ye Jin was the reason for his lost confidence. 

"Yoon Gi-ah, is something wrong?" His father whispered. 

"I-I don’t think I can do this, Father." 

His father scowled and pushed him out of the room. Turning back to the women, he said,  "you better be prepared for a war." 

Just as quickly as he entered, he was gone. The leader tried to reassemble the witches, but before she missed the opportunity, Ye Jin rushed out of the room undetected. 

 

Out on the street, she saw Suga before he entered the sedan. 

"Yoon Gi-ah!" She called out to him. 

He turned to see her and he walked towards her. "I'm so sorry. I had no idea my father was going to do this."  

Ye Jin saw his pleading stare, but she was at a loss for words. 

"Please, say something." 

"I-I don’t think we have to make a promise anymore; your father knows who I am now." 

Suga's eyes faltered. He took a step closer to her. "I won't let him hurt you. I promise." 

"You really shouldn’t make promises you can't keep." 

"Min Yoon Gi!" His father hollered from the car. 

"You'll always be loyal to him. You can't help that." Ye Jin said before turning to return to the meeting. 

 She fought back tears before she entered the room again. She scolded herself for thinking that the two of them could be friends; they would always be enemies no matter what happened. They each had loyalty to their families and their bloodlines. Blood was always thicker than water.