Limitless Power

Incantations of Fate

As promised, the council called her and informed her of the trial time. It was set for later that day and Ye Jin knew that she had to hurry to make it. 

The bus station was particularly empty that day, so she found no difficulty in getting to the  right bus with time to spare. When the bus arrived, she handed her ticket to the driver and took the seat at the very back of the bus. Other passengers began to board and after about 10 minutes, the bus was leaving the terminal. Ye Jin plugged in her earphones and disappeared into the music, waiting for the ride to be over. 

The bus came to a halt and just by the air alone she could tell she was back in Busan. She departed and made the familiar route to the council's meeting place. She looked at the time and saw that she had half an hour to spare. She entered the building and was surprised to see that there were very few witches around. Seeing as this was a matter of high importance to both clans, only the most important members were asked to join the trial. 

"Park Ye Jin! Good to see you!" An elderly woman that Ye Jin quickly recognized from her previous trial with Yoon Gi approached her. Her smile was wide, but something about it made Ye Jin feel threatened.  

Ye Jin nodded at her elder and she was left alone again. 

"Long time no see," a man said behind her. 

Ye Jin turned around to look into the sly eyes of Yoon Gi. She automatically felt lighter in the building. "How are you holding up?" She asked, knowing that it must be difficult for him to testify against his own father.  

His face became serious. He pulled her away from the center of the room to a shaded corner. "I'm fine, but there's something I need to show you." 

"What?" Ye Jin asked, growing more curious with every passing second.  

Suga pulled out a folded piece of parchment paper and unfolded it. Ye Jin began reading. 

It was a note about an object that was meant to shrink someone's power. She looked from the text to the drawing of the object at the bottom of the page. Her breathing hitched and her eyes widened with fear.  

The object illustrated was the same jade necklace that her grandmother had given her after she caused the fire accident with her brother. But, her grandmother told her that it was so that she wouldn’t get out of hand and cause any unnecessary accidents. Why would she try to restrict and lessen her power so much? Was she really that dangerous? 

She handed the paper back to Suga and looked into his warm eyes.  

"Ye Jin-ah," he began. 

Ye Jin instinctively clasped her hand around the jade pendant.  

"I've seen how powerful you are with this on and without it," Suga said. 

Ye Jin recalled the times that she got out of his binding spell in High School just by thinking of it and when she created a garden of vines in her apartment just to prove him wrong. With one strong yank, she broke the silver links and the jade fell to the floor, breaking into hundreds of unrecoverable pieces. 

The moment she was freed of its grasps, she felt she could breathe a little better. Every nerve in her body was lit on fire and there was a warming sensation in her chest and she knew exactly what it was: power.  

Suga saw the change in her and said, "You are much stronger than I ever could be." He stepped closer to her and placed his right hand on her neck, caressing her jaw with his thumb. "I have faith in you." He leaned closer to her and placed his lips on hers. When she responded, their lips parted and Ye Jin trailed her hands up his chest to his neck pulling him closer to her. Her heart sped up and from their closeness, she could feel his heart reacting the same.  

After a while, they needed to catch their breath. Thankfully, no one passed by and saw them.  

"Ye Jin-ah," Suga said, turning serious once again. "I have to ask you to do something." 

"Okay, what is it?" 

"He's a bad guy but he's still my dad. I've tried finding a way to save him from all this, but the only thing can came up was you and your power." 

She nodded and said, "I'm still confused. What do you want me to do about this?" 

Suga sighed and replied, "it's known in both of our clans that the most powerful persons can do almost anything with enough power." 

"I'm still not following." 

"I want you to reverse time; to undo everything that's happened," he blurted out in a rush. 

Ye Jin looked at him incredulously. "That's not possible." 

"It is. Sure, it's only legend to us, but every legend stems from something true." 

She shook her head. "Yoon Gi-ah, he-he tried to kill me." 

He bowed his head. "I know, but I have to try something." He looked her with pleading eyes and held her hands in his, desperately holding on to his last hope. "Please." 

Ye Jin thought about going back; she remembered being in High School with him, slowly growing to like one another, despite the impossibility of their relationship. She looked at his eyes and how they still seemed so youthful and full of potential. She remembered their first kiss. In the midst of all those memories, something tug at her heartstrings and her power felt triggered. 

She looked into his deep eyes and said, "Okay, I'll try." 

He pulled her towards him, crushing her with emotions. "Thank you," he repeatedly said.  

She pulled away from him and focused on the task at hand.