Going Back

Incantations of Fate

The sensation was like nothing she had ever felt. Every nerve, every fiber of her being was burning with energy and raw power. She closed her eyes to relish in the moment and to focus her mind on the incantation. She pictured herself before everything happened three and a half years ago; before she met Yoon Gi, before she fell under his irresistible charm.  

The air around her intensified. It closed in on her, making her feel as though she was physically being removed from the area. He hair whisped around her, stinging at the corners of her tightly shut eyes. Then, just as suddenly as it all began, it came to a halt. Cautiously, she opened her eyes and an extreme sense of deja-vu engulfed her.  

She was standing in front of the gates of YongKi High School in Busan. She looked down at her body and saw that she was in a newly bought school uniform. She pulled out her phone from her pocket to check the date to make sure her suspicions were correct. There, on the screen shining back at her was the date she originally entered YongKi.  

She had done it. She, a mere Park clan witch, turned back time without so much as a scratch for effort. The necklace was the problem, it always was and she was now understanding how much it burdened her. She the necklace around her neck and snapped it off in one quick motion. She threw it to the ground and stomped on it till it was broken beyond repair.  

Not only did this unleash her full power, but now Suga wouldn’t recognize her from it. Initially, Suga had seen her necklace and began to interrogate her. Without it, she could be whoever she wanted to. 

She walked confidently through the hallways, recalling exactly where she was supposed to go. She missed this school so much after having to forcefully leave it. Now that she had a second chance, things were going to be much different. 

"Hello, I'm Park Ye Jin," she announced when she entered the room. She took her seat to the back of the class, as instructed by the teacher and took out her notebooks, eager to see just how different things would be this time around. 

When the first class of the day began, she constantly stole glances at Yoon Gi across the room. From this angle, she realized that he hardly changed over the span of three and a half years. Sure, his demeanor was still that of a high school bully and delinquent, but he really didn’t change that much. 

When the next class began and she didn’t have a textbook to look at the questions, Jung Kook sat next to her, as she remembered. They shared introductions and he asked her to move to the seat next to her. She laughed internally at how odd all this deja-vu felt. She agreed and during the lunch period, he relocated to the desk next to her. 

Ye Jin looked at Suga's back as he left the class with Ho Seok. After meeting Jung Kook's friends when they came in to have lunch, she left the classroom to go looking for Suga. 

He wasn’t in the cafeteria and he wasn’t out on the lawn. There was one last place she had to check: the rooftop. 

As expected, he was there. Ho Seok left to get snacks from the vending machines downstairs, so it was just going to be the two of them. She reminded herself to be as invisible as possible since Suga was still the school bully and to her, she was just a new student.  

He was laying under the shade behind a water tank, so Ye Jin tried to look as though she didn’t know he was there and just strolled along the edges of the roof. When she was close enough for him to notice her in the corner of his eye, he sat up. 

"Are you lost, newbie?" He asked, staring hard at her. 

She turned to him and had to calm her heart when she saw his piercing eyes. "Just needed a quiet place." 

"Yeah? Well go somewhere else. This is my spot." 

"I don’t see your name on the building. Are you YongKi?" She retaliated. She scolded herself, telling herself that now was not the time to test his anger. 

He rose to his feet and walked over to her. He was close enough to her for her to smell the remnants of his body spray. She thought she would pass out from getting to experience this memory again. When they made eye contact, there was a fire in his eyes; he was enraged at being bothered like this. "No one comes here except for me, and you'll learn that soon enough. So, get lost." 

She managed a weak smile and said, "You really should learn to talk to people properly." 

With that, he grabbed her forearm forcefully and flung her against the water tank. He pushed her again so that her back was to the tank and she had nowhere to run to.  "Why would I talk when I can scare people into understanding?" 

He leaned closer to her, so close that she could feel his breath on her face. He stared into her eyes, first with malice but then it changed. There was a flicker of bewilderment. Ye Jin noticed it and wondered what just happened. He roamed his eyes over the features of her face and his eyes softened.  

"Do I know you?" He asked in a confused tone.  

She shook her head pushed him back slightly. "I guess I should go get something to eat," she said, trying to diffuse the tension. 

Yoon Gi scoffed and asked, "Kimbap?". His eyes widened; he clearly did not mean to say that.  

Ye Jin looked back at him, wondering what exactly was going on. He shouldn’t know anything about her love for kimbap, not yet at least. Rather than say anything further, she made a beeline for the door and returned to the crowded hallway.  

Once she was back in her seat, she breathed a sigh of relief. Jung Kook offered her a piece of his cookie but she declined. The lunch period was almost over and she needed to get her head back in the game if she was going to make it through this.