Resistance

Incantations of Fate

Just as Suga requested, she met him in front of the school's gates. He arrived with a mischievous smile and J-Hope following close behind.  

"Good morning," he greeted.  

Ye Jin nodded, feeling too tired to deal with him this morning. 

After a minute of silence, Jung Kook approached her. When he saw that she had company, he scowled. Suga, on the other hand, seemed more excited.  

"Ye Jin-ah, shall we go in?" Jung Kook asked, ignoring the other boys. 

Suga stood forward and placed a hand on Ye Jin's shoulder. "She's a bit busy. Try again later. Ye Jin, let's go." 

She looked at Jung Kook, pleading with her eyes for him to do something. But, she remembered that she promised to follow Suga's instructions as he wanted. She bowed her head and walked ahead, still feeling the burning tension from being steered by Suga's hand. 

When they arrived at the classroom, Ye Jin rushed to her seat, eager to get out of his grip. Soon after, Jung Kook joined her and immediately turned to her. 

"What's going on?" He asked. 

She shook her head. "It's a bit difficult to explain." 

Just as Jung Kook was about to ask something else, Nam Joon arrived and plopped into his seat. Turning around, he glanced between the two of them, finally settling on his cousin.  

"My mother and I went over to see your parents yesterday," Nam Joon said. 

Her eyes lit up. "Is anything going on with them?" 

"Your brother asked me if I knew where you were, but I didn’t know if I should say anything so I said I didn’t know." 

She leaned back into her seat, feeling deflated. Ye Jin pictured her brother in his own classroom now at his Junior High. Although he was a few years younger than her, he was more mature than his fellow students.  

When Ms. Kim entered and took the roll call, Nam Joon turned away. Once Ms. Kim completed her tasks and left the classroom, Ye Jin, picked up her bag and rushed out of the room, ignoring Jung Kook's calls after her.  

Just as she rounded the corner for the stairs, a hand pulled her around. She almost tripped to the floor, but the person steadied her. She looked up to see Suga's intense stare, boring holes into her face. 

"Where do you think you're going?" He asked. 

"I have to go see my brother." 

He chuckled, finally easing his expression. "No, you have to stay here and deliver on your promise." 

She sighed, losing patience with every passing second. Instead of cowering, she glared back at him, surprising him. "I need to go." She pulled herself away from his grip and began to descend the stairs.  

She heard him exhale behind her.  

"Stop!"  

Ye Jin's body froze. She couldn’t believe he was using magic to restrain her. From her stiffened pose, she got a feel of how powerful the Min Wizards really were. However, he didn’t know how powerful she was. With great difficulty and tension, she brought her hand up to her neck. It was never easy to defy the laws of magic, but she was desperate and all the pain in the world couldn’t compare to what she was currently going through. It felt as though shards of glass were slicing her from all angles with every millimeter of movement.  

Finally, her hand arrived and she gripped her necklace. Suga was still chuckling behind her, trying to decide what to do with her in this state. From his angle behind her, he couldn’t see what she was doing.  

With one last push of energy, Ye Jin pulled her necklace, breaking the silver joints. She clutched the chain in her hand, and used her unrestrained power to free herself of the binding.  

Swiftly, she turned to face Suga. His smile vanished as he stared at her, confused. 

"How did you-" 

Before he could finish, she held out her arm, her palm facing him. Internally, she wished him to return to the classroom quickly. Soon enough, her thoughts mixed with her magic, forced Suga to do just that.  

Once he was out of sight, she leaned against the concrete wall, catching her breath and her energy. Despite her weakened state, she was amazed that she had the power to overcome a binding spell. However, the thought played at the back of her mind that she just used magic against a member of the Min clan. Worse than that, she showed just how powerful she was with and without the jade necklace.