Let's Talk

Incantations of Fate

Ye Jin stood staring at the iron gates of her brother's Junior High school. Once a security guard noticed her waiting there, he opened the gates without so much as asking her name. She strolled on, nodding and smiling at the guard.  

She knew exactly where she was heading. Her brother's classroom was on the second floor, to the left of the school. The corridors were exactly as she recalled them, except that the walls were freshly painted over the Summer break.  

Now, she stood directly in front of her brother's classroom door. The teacher at the front recognized her and came out to meet her. 

"Can I help you?" The middle-aged male teacher asked with his spectacles dangling on the bridge of his nose.  

She bowed to the teacher in greeting and said, "I'm looking for Park Suk Jin." 

The teacher nodded and called out for the student inside.  

When her brother saw her, he froze. When the students began to holler at him to close the door, he stood forward cautiously and slid the door shut behind him. 

"Hey," Ye Jin said, smiling warmly.  

"Hey," her brother responded. 

"How have you been?" She asked, after a moment of awkward silence. 

"Fine." 

She nodded. "Okay, I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I'll let you get back to class." She didn’t want to leave him, but was afraid he would become even more afraid of her. 

As she turned to leave, he called out, "Are you ever gonna come back home?" 

She stood in place, her back still facing him. "That's not really my decision." She hoped he understood what he meant. 

"I miss you, Noona." His voice broke at the last word.  

Ye Jin closed her eyes, forcing the tears back. "Me too." 

Doing anything else would've been crossing the line on what her parents wanted, so she kept walking away from him and out of the school. Only when she was safely outside of the compound, she allowed the tears to flow freely.  

She made her way back to her own school, with a tear-stained face.  

Before she knew it, she was in front of her classroom. The lecturer had just left, which gave her the chance to enter safely. 

She slid open the door and students glanced at her but didn’t pay her any more attention. She strolled over to her seat, aware of Jung Kook's worried looks.  

He pushed aside her seat for her to sit. "What happened?" He was staring at the remnants of her tears on her cheeks.  

Feeling self-conscious, she wiped at her cheeks, trying to remove the marks as quickly as possible. She turned to him, mustering a smile, and said, "I'm fine, really." 

His gaze showed that he knew she was lying. But her gave her space. 

Ye Jin proceeded to take out her books for the next session. As she hung her bag on the side of the desk, she felt a looming presence over her. Jung Kook glanced behind him and scowled when he saw Suga there. 

"We need to talk," he demanded, glaring at Ye Jin. 

"We have class now," Jung Kook answered for her.  

"Now," Suga said, ignoring the boy's presence completely. 

Ye Jin sighed and pushed her seat back. Once she was standing, Suga grabber her forearm and led her out of the classroom and onto the roof. 

 

"How did you do that?" Suga asked, once he released her and pushed her in front of him. He was referring to the binding spell and she knew it. 

"I don’t know either," she replied, caressing her arm from his grip.  

Suga ran his hand through his hair and looked up at the sky. Ye Jin couldn’t help but look at the way the sun complimented his fair complexion, as though it was adding to his youthful appearance.  

"Look," Ye Jin started, "I'm sorry I ran out like that. We have an agreement and I should've stuck around to negotiate it a little more, but I really needed to see my brother." 

Suga bent his head down and closed his eyes. "Why?" 

"Because he's my brother and I needed to make sure he was okay." 

"No, not that." Suga let out a shaky breath. "Why were you crying?" He opened his eyes to look at her. 

Ye Jin's eyes widened, taken aback by the question. "It's- it's nothing." She looked away, watching over at the neighboring building's empty rooftop.  

Suga moved closer to her and placed his hands around her face, forcing her to look at him. "Tell me why you cried." 

His closeness made her heart beat increase and the whipping of wind on her face caused her eyes to tear up. She tried to look away, but he made it impossible. After a moment of silence and the constant strong wind, a tear escaped from her left eye. Suga noticed and brought his thumb to wipe it away. His movements made her think, for a tiny moment, that he wasn’t such a bad guy after all. But, years of teaching made her believe that no one from the Min clan should be trusted. 

Ye Jin touched his hand  pulled him away from her. "It shouldn’t matter to you why I cried." 

Suga nodded, smiling slightly. "It was an instruction to tell me, not an option." 

She glared at him now. "You know so much about my family background, so why even bother to ask?" 

"Because I want you to tell me yourself." 

Ye Jin sighed. "I'm not allowed to see my brother anymore. When I went, he said he missed me and asked me when I was coming back home. I couldn’t even give him a guarantee." 

"Maybe it's best if you stay away." 

"Gee, thanks for the comforting words." She walked past him and headed for the door.  

"Wait, I didn’t mean it like that!" He called after her.  

But he was too late. Ye Jin was out the door and walking away from him. He knew he messed up, yet again. Truth was, he really was concerned about why she was crying but he couldn’t bring himself to show that he cared, due to their controversial family backgrounds. He had no choice but to play the bully for the time being.