Clever Yoon Gi

Incantations of Fate

After taking a shower, she settled in her bedroom and pulled out a box of old witch books she got from her Grandmother. She found the one she wanted and sped through the pages, finally landing on one about physical healing. It looked like a simple spell that required mere thought rather than one of those encantations that needed a potion and confusing ingredients.  

Carefully, she followed the instructions and a glow was forming on the palms of her hands. With the last phrase of the spell, she placed her hands on her stitches and let the energy flow through her. When the magic began to wear off and the glow disappeared, she looked down at her stomach and smiled, glad to see a scar-free stomach.  

She  pulled a t-shirt from her cupboard and decided to turn on the news. It was almost 10, which gave her time to settle in and get ready for the headlines. 

With a bottle of water at her side, Ye Jin sat on the sofa and the news channel. After hearing about several murders throughout the country, there was a story about a local public attack. Ye Jin sat forward, staring at the screen with wide eyes. The news station showed a video of a hooded man ing a blade into the stomach of a girl in a school uniform. She knew immediately that it was her on the television, but she let her worry subside when she noticed that her face and the attacker's were blurred out. The news anchorwoman said that there was no news from the victim, but that she was recovering in the hospital.  

After the broadcast, Ye Jin decided to turn in for the night, needing to fall into the grasps of sleep to let her anxiety dissipate. She hoped that the next day at school, no one would ask her if she was the girl on the news. If they did, then naturally they would ask to see her scar, which no longer existed, and she didnt want to have to lie to everyone around her. 

Sleep came with great difficulty, but at least she managed to get some hours in before her alarm sounded the next morning.  

--- 

Arriving to school was the easy part. The hell came when she sat in her seat next to Jung Kook and Suga was sitting across the class and wouldn't stop staring at her. There was something different with him today; he had a spark in his eyes as he stared intently at her. While he usually accompanied his stare with his mischievous smile, there was none of that this morning. It was almost as though he was seeing something beneath her surface and that scared her.  

The  homeroom teacher entered and told the students that the school had yet to determine who was the student that was attacked on the streets the previous day. Ye Jin nodded, trying to blend in with the classroom of worried students.  

When the teacher left, the teacher for the first period of the day was running a bit late and sent a note with the Class President to read a new chapter before he arrived. Rather than follow instruction, Suga stood up and strolled over the Ye Jin.  

He forced himself in between her and Jung Kook, turning his back to the other male student. Ye Jin glanced up at him before reaching into her backpack for her notebook.  

"Ye Jin-ah," Suga muttered. "Come outside for a second." With that, he walked right out of the class. 

Ye Jin took a moment, contemplating whether or not she really wanted to be alone with him again. Against her better judgment, and ignoring the warnings from Nam Joon and Jung Kook, she followed Suga out of the class.  

The hallway was cleared and she knew exactly where he'd be: the rooftop. 

The sky that day was threatening to send showers on the school. Ye Jin closed the rooftop door and moved to where Suga was standing in the middle of the roof. 

When she approached him, he faced her and asked in his normal tone of voice, "Are you okay?" 

She was taken aback by the question, but merely nodded in response. 

"I saw the news last night. You shouldn’t be in school right now." He moved closer to her and moved a stray lock of hair from her face, tucking it behind her left ear. 

She took a step back. "What are you talking about?" 

He chuckled. "Don't try to tell me that wasn't you on the news last night. I saw the guy stab you!" 

Ye Jin looked away from him and remained silent, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of being right. 

"The mark on your hand was showing. The mark from the injuries that your father made." 

She glanced down at her arm, almost forgetting those bruises. She cursed herself for only using the healing spell for her stitches. Another mistake.  

"You should be in the hospital right now." 

"I healed myself," she said, triumphantly, turning back to look at him. 

He looked stricken, shocked at her response. "H-How? No witch can heal themselves." 

"Well, I did. It wasn’t even that hard." She allowed herself a moment to smile proudly.  

Rather than take the bait and annoy her, Suga moved closer to her and pulled her close to him, wrapping his arms around her shoulders.  

Ye Jin, reacting instinctively to the physical contact, leaned her head on his chest, taking in his scent. She allowed herself to let go as she brought her hands up to his waist, wrapping them around his center. Suga shifted and rested his head on top of her head. Ye Jin closed her eyes and took in one more breath before pulling away from him. 

"You can't just hug people, you know," she said, shifting her glance away from him. 

"You didn’t seem to have any problems." There was that mischievous smile again. A friendly reminder that all was not lost in this world.  

"it's very familiar to me, that's all," she said before scowling at herself. 

"What does that mean?" Yoon Gi asked, not missing a beat. 

"Nothing," she muttered, making her way back to the door.  

She heard Suga calling after her, but she dare not let herself stay, afraid of what she would say under his piercing stare. 

Once back at her desk, the boys around her tried to ask about she and Suga talked about, but she resisted from giving anything away. The teacher finally arrived just as Suga returned to the class. He watched Ye Jin until he was forced to take out his own notebook and make notes.  

The day passed on quickly and event-free, until the lunch period arrived. Once the students rushed out of the classroom to get to the cafeteria, Suga rushed over to Ye Jin and took Jung Kook's now empty seat.  

He pulled her seat across to him, forcing her to turn her attention to him. She looked back at him with wide eyes, more curious than scared about what the boy wanted.  

"Tell me what you meant when you said that my touch seemed familiar," he said, staring at her with a fire in his eyes, determined to find out what exactly was the answer to her riddle. 

"I told you," she said, staring right back into his eyes. "It's nothing, just a slip of the tongue." 

"Then why does it feel like you have some deep secret that you're depending your life on?" Suga continued, not being fazed. 

Ye Jin took a breath and replied, "Maybe you're letting your paranoia get to you." 

"Or, maybe you're not really you. I feel like I've met you before, and maybe I have." 

Ye Jin stared at him, rendered speechless.  

"Oh? Have I caught on?" Suga teased, a smile playing at the corners of his lips, while maintaining his gaze.  

"Y-you..." 

"You have power to heal yourself, so I wonder what else you can do. Perhaps, travel back in time?" He continued to tease. 

Ye Jin tensed, trying to form a comeback that would cause him to drop this topic.  

"You see," Suga continued, enjoying every second of her weakened state. "Magic works both ways. If you can do anything, then I can find something to find out exactly what it is you're doing. I asked my father yesterday if there was any way to determine someone's true intentions and he gave me a rather interesting, yet temporary, solution. A mere incantation, if you can call it that. This morning, I recited those words in my mind and watched you before class began. I saw your memories from the last few days. Quite interesting stuff, Park Ye Jin." 

She was going to say something, but Suga cut her off again. 

"Should I give my welcome greeting to you reliving this part of your life now?" He let out a hollow chuckle that caused Ye Jin to shiver. She knew Suga was always clever, but not to this extent.  

She was found out and now she had to deal with it.