Meet the Father

Incantations of Fate

When the weekend arrived, Ye Jin joined Suga on his trip back to the south to see the clan. Throughout the entire trip, Suga shifted uncomfortably in his seat, showing he was more worried than Ye Jin. Rather than worry, she trusted in the fact that she knew she was the one who was meant to break the barriers. She hoped that she knew what to do when the time came.  

At the station in Busan, Suga led her to his car in the parking lot and cautiously gave her worried glances. When the pair arrived in front of the building Ye Jin assumed was the HQ, Suga turned to her. 

"Are you sure you want to do this today?" He asked. 

She merely nodded and made her way out of the car. With Suga close behind, she mustered every ounce of courage she had and entered the building.  

"Yoon Gi-ah!" An elderly man, dressed in comfortable slacks welcomed Suga.  

Suga embraced him in a hug before turning to Ye Jin. "This is my girlfriend, Ye Jin." 

The elder offered her a welcoming smile before saying to Suga, "Your father is waiting for you." 

Suga nodded and pulled Ye Jin along with him. They faced tall, wooden double doors and before Suga pulled them open, he turned to her. "That man is my father's closest ally. When he finds out what you're up to, he'll attack before anyone else."  

The severity in his words and more importantly, behind his eyes, made Ye Jin's confidence falter. Instead of show it, she nodded and motioned for Suga to open the doors. 

"Ah! My son is back!" Yoon Gi's father announced from the front of the dimly-lit room. When he saw the girl next to him, his smile fell a little and turned into confusion. "And he's brought a friend." 

Suga held Ye Jin's hand in his as he made his way to his father. The elder sat behind a large, mahogany desk that was littered with scattered pages and stacks of books on both ends of the table.  

He offered a gentle smile to Ye Jin before turning to his son for answers.  

Yoon Gi cleared his throat before announing, "This is Ye Jin, my girlfriend." 

His father's eyes widened, more out of confusion than shock. "Is that why you've been traveling to Chuncheon so much, to see her?" 

"Yes, but we only met up recently and agreed to be together." 

His father nodded. "I see." Now, it was Ye Jin's turn to be interrogated. 

All through this, she smiled politely, trying to portray the perfect girl while hiding her true intentions.  

"Ye Jin-ssi, what do your parents do?" He asked, ushering the two adults to sit in front of him. 

"My father is a businessman and my mother is a housewife." 

"What kind of businessman?" 

"Not the kind you worry about."  

Suga turned to her, shocked by her response. On the other hand, his father chuckled, seemingly amused. 

"What's your family name?" The elder asked. 

Next to her, Ye Jin could sense Suga tense, dreading the oncoming anger.  

"It's Park. Park Ye Jin," she replied confidently. 

The elder's brow furrowed. He seemed to be thinking of how to reply to the information. After a short while, he smiled and looked at her, and asked, "Do you know what kind of business our family is in?" 

Ye Jin returned the smile and said, "Yes, I am very aware." 

"Then is it safe to say that you're familiar with all of our...customs?" 

"Oh, you mean like not having a mix between the two clans?" 

He was shocked for a short moment, but readjusted and asked, "Should I be straight-forward?" 

"Please," Ye Jin responded, keeping her polite smile.  

Suga's breath was all that was heard during the moment of silence that passed between his father and Ye Jin.  

Finally, his father continued. "Are you a part of the Park clan?" 

"Yes, I am." 

The elder's amusement dropped from his face and was replaced immediately with a redness that came with outrage and anxiety. He turned to  his son first and rose to his feet. "You brought her kind in here?" 

Suga and Ye Jin jumped to their feet simultaneously and Suga countered, "Please, Father. Let me explain." 

"You!" His father yelled, pointing his index finger and stern gaze on Ye Jin. "Get out of here before I make you!" 

Suga moved in front of Ye Jin, trying to protect her, but she was not having any of that. "I'd like to see you try." 

The elder snickered and said, "I was hoping you'd say that."  

Tension surrounded the trio and the elder moved around his desk so that he was closer to her. She could sense that he was finding the right incantation in his mind to render her hopeless. However, she had an advantage: he had no idea what she was capable of. The man had no idea how much she could do with one thought, nor was he aware of how much she meant to Suga. Ye Jin prepared her mind, gathered her strength and stood her ground.  

She was going to come out of this alive, no matter what.