The First Day

Incantations of Fate

The halls were baren, apart from the specs of dust that floated away in the streams of sunlight. Ye Jin cautiously walked along the columns of steel lockers, glancing at the classroom doors, searching for the one marked "10-B". The dark blue uniform still needed some getting used to, especially with its gold cuffs and stitches. It had been a while since she entered a classroom and now, it would be even more of a struggle for her, as she entered this new school for her Senior year.  

YongKi High was a series of tall structures, all encompassing a large soccer field. Despite its large upper class students, the school always fell short of other high schools for College acceptances. Therefore, they were always the second place in the 'High School' sector. When students couldn’t gain acceptance into the better school, they had no other choice than to attend YongKi.  

Finally, Ye Jin located the classroom. Looking in, a man in his early thirties stood in front, gesturing to the board with his wooden ruler. He looked mean, but his golden brown eyes behind his glasses signaled that he had a warm heart.  

Hesitantly, Ye Jin knocked twice with her knuckles and entered the room. All chatter ceased and the teacher turned to her, confused. Feeling self-conscious, she rushed to the teacher handing him a note from the Office. He unfolded it and sighed. Turning to the class, he introduced her. 

"Everyone, seems like we have a new student joining us today. This is Park Ye Jin." He gestured his arm out to her.  

She bowed politely and said, "Nice to meet you all."  

"Okay, there's a seat in the back there," he said, pointing to a lone desk at the farthest right of the classroom. It was located directly next to the window, which meant that for half that day, her desk would be bathed in sunlight.  

She hurried to take her place, avoiding eye contact. Once she had settled in and took out her notebook and writing instruments, the class continued.  

Ye Jin never bothered much with school before, as she always read ahead. She had just recently began reading up Art History textbooks that were used in elite Colleges. As she glanced at the board in front, she internally sighed, knowing that she had already mastered the topic and the subject altogether.  

Rather than waste time trying to re-learn the topic, she turned to doodling in the notebook. Before she knew it, the bell rang, signaling the end of the period. She glanced up, wondering if she had to move to another location, but when she saw the students staying seated, she followed. 

She was well aware of the stares and murmurs that surrounded her. However, what she really wanted was to lay low for the year. Standing out meant that there was a higher chance of people discovering her secret, which she couldn’t risk. Park Ye Jin was the youngest member of the Park Witch Clan. This meant that their future relied heavily on her. Witches were dying out and she needed to keep safe while she still could. As long as she could avoid prying eyes, she would be safe. Oh, and as long as she didn’t run into anyone from the Min Clan, she would definitely succeed.  

10 minutes later, a female teacher entered, looking flustered. She slammed her books on the podium and turned glaring at the students. 

"Ya, Min Yoon Gi!" She yelled, staring intently at the back of the class.  

The entire classroom turned to meet her victim. For Ye Jin, the student was directly to her right, a few columns over.  

The student in question sat comfortably, with his legs on the desk, crossed at the ankles. Leaning back, he stared back at the teacher, chewing gum audibly. His uniform was haphazard, as was his dark brown hair. The jacket was opened, revealing a graphic tee instead of the destined plain white dress-shirt. Ye Jin immediately felt threatened.  

Wait, his last name was Min? She shook her head slightly, telling herself that there were several Min bloodlines throughout the world. There was no way that she would have chosen to go to the same school as that Clan. Plus, his demeanor screamed annoying rather than dangerous.  

"Would you care to explain the flood in the Teacher Lounge?" The teacher asked, running out of patience.  

Yoon Gi shrugged, chuckling to his friend next to him, who wore the same smug expression.  

"J-Hope-ah, do you know anything about that?" Yoon Gi asked. 

His friend shook his head.  

The first boy looked towards the teacher again and said, "And it's Suga, not Yoon Gi." 

The teacher sighed and pointed to the classroom doors. "Yoon Gi and Ho Seok, go stand outside for the remainder of the class." 

Ye Jin watched as the two boys took their time to leave the room. They slammed the doors and the one who called himself Suga looked in through the window, making funny faces at the teacher.  

The class went on as normal, until the teacher discussed the homework from the previous night. The teacher taught Physics; another topic Ye Jin had surpassed in studying. Still, not having the textbook, Ye Jin felt lost for a  moment.  

While the Teacher asked around for answers from several students, Ye Jin tried to keep up. She was about to give up and return to her drawing when a seat moved next to her. She glanced at the visitor and hung open slightly as she saw the perfect side profile of a boy. His hair hung across his forehead with finesse and his eyes sparkled with ease in the sunlight. The boy placed his textbook in the middle of the desk and turned to look at Ye Jin. 

When they made eye contact, he smiled warmly. Ye Jin returned the smile, watching as his eyes arched perfectly to give the cutest of smiles.  

Behind the desk, he held out his hand to her. "I'm Jung Kook," he said. 

Ye Jin took his hand and said, "I'm Ye Jin." 

They broke connection and returned to the classroom activities. When the homework portion was over, Jung Kook remained seated, to Ye Jin's surprise. 

When the class had come to an end, the two boys returned and Ye Jin swore she saw a tense moment shared between Suga and Jung Kook. The latter sighed and turned back to face Ye Jin. 

"Would you mind if I moved back here, next to you?" 

"Sure," she replied.  

As Jung Kook made his way to relocate his belongings, Ye Jin noticed that Suga stared after the boy, glaring holes into his back.