Lunch Line

Not Like Everyday

Joon was waiting in the lunch line, full of starving and parched kids. Being the impatient boy, he tried to get to get in front of the lines. His charms worked on the innocent girls, but not to the boys. The boys wouldn't let Joon pass unless their girlfriend complained to the boys. With ease, Joon was able to slip his way quickly towards the line, like a snake. Until he came across Yoona, who was also in the line. She was one of the top twenty people in the line, waiting for their lunch. Joon tapped on Yoona's shoulder, as she wheeled around. She smiled.

"Oh, hello Joon," Yoona greeted. Joon smiled back and waved his hands.

"Hi, Yoona," Joon greeted back. He paused for a moment. Why wasn't he trying to cut Yoona, too? She was just a friend. He always got his friends to do whatever he wanted. Instead of asking to pass by Yoona, he said, "Thanks for the paper."

"No problem," Yoona replied. "It's what I can do for a friend."

Friend. For a moment, Joon forgot what the definition of "friend" was. Someone to keep you company? Someone to entertain you? Someone to make you popular? Someone you can trust? He shivered, as he glanced behind him. Angry pairs of eyes glared at him (from the boys), but the girls batted their eyes, showing their innocent smiles. Joon smiled back at the girls, ignoring the flaring glares. He turned back to Yoona, trying to find some kind of way to politely ask to pass by her. 

his lips, he pulled out a quarter from his pocket. Purposely, he flicked it closer to the beginning of the lunch line. Joon gasps and bit his bottom lips.

"Oops! I, um, dropped my quarter. I'll just go and get it…" As Joon took a huge step forward–with his back foot still in line–Yoona spoke up.

"Best if you just get it later," Yoona said. "Otherwise, you can lose your line." She turned to Joon and studied him for a moment. "Plus, aren't you rich? Will a quarter really effect your life or something?"

"Very," Joon said, nodding his head. Yoona rolled her eyes and sighed.

"I know you're just trying to cut me, and that's not going to happen."

Blood drained from Joon's face as if he was staring at a ghost. "H-How did you know?"

"I'm different, Joon," Yoona sighed. "I'm twice as smarter than the people in this school. Plus, it's logical. I see you doing this every single day."

Joon grumbled as he stepped back in line. "Psh. No fair, you already studied my moves."

Yoona shrugged her shoulders. "Sorry, but no cutting in line."

 

"Hey Joon!" Mir greeted, putting his arm on Joon's shoulder. "Why did you come so late?"

"Yeah, you were supposed to be here minutes ago," Thunder agreed, finishing up his lunch. Joon's friends were already done with their meals, since they all brought lunch. Joon scowled and shrugged off Mir's hands.

"Shut up," Joon mumbled. "I just felt like waiting in line."

G.O frowned. "Strange, this isn't like that Joon we knew."

"Maybe a girl dumped him in line?" Suengho suggested.

"Or maybe you guys can close your mouth before I staple them together with a stapler," Joon threatened. His friends quickly scurried off, not wanting to bother Joon anymore. Joon groaned as he ran his fingers through his hair. He played with his food, tossing it side to side. 

He felt humiliated. Yoona did not fall for his charms. He could not pass her with ease through the lines. Countless of times, he tried to get through Yoona, but he failed. He felt even more humiliated since his friends had took off, leaving him alone and miserably. He was going to throw away his lunch, but someone sat right across from him at his table. He looked up and saw Yoona poking her fork through her chicken salad. 

Girls stared at Yoona with envy, jealous of how easily Yoona could sit in front of Joon. Others stared at Yoona with their mouth dropped open, wondering if Yoona was a new student or not. A few began to whisper, trying to be loud enough to tell Yoona that only Joon and his friends could sit there. Yoona glanced behind her, and then went back to eating. She clearly didn't care. Even Joon was curious of why Yoona was here, too.

"Um…Yoona?" Joon said quietly. Yoona ignored him, but Joon decided to continue. "You're kind of at my table, where only my friends hang out at–"

"Aren't I your friend?" Yoona questioned. "Plus, you looked lonely, so I thought that I should eat with you."

Joon kept quiet. Yoona continued to eat her lunch, as Joon paused for a moment. A smile crept on his lips, as he began to dig in. He didn't know why, but he just felt so happy eating with her. It felt…right.

 

Meanwhile, at the far table in the corner, a red-headed girl glared at Yoona with envy and hatred. She pulled on her long hair, gritted her pearly white teeth.

"What's she doing with my Joon?" Hyuna muttered to herself. Hyuna was alone at her own table. Her friends had left earlier, ignoring her speech about how cool Joon was. She didn't care as long as she saw Joon from where she was sitting, but Yoona was blocking her view. She was able to catch a glimpse of Joon smiling to himself, as her heart burned with jealousy.

"She's not going to get away with this," Hyuna told herself darkly. "There is just no way she's going to get away with this. Hmph. I'm the only one who can flirt with my Joon. She's crossing the line, and I'm going to drag her down hard." Hyuna slammed her fist against her lunch table. "She's going to go down really hard…"