Her Confession, His Rejection

Not Like Everyday

Hyuna leaned on the balcony, smiling and holding her arms out like the scene the woman did in Titanic. She stifled out a small giggle and turned to Joon, who continued to take short glances at the clock. He felt irritated being with Hyuna, and deeply wanted to go and see Yoona. However, being the nice guy he was, he held himself back.

"So Hyuna, was there anything you wanted to tell me?" Joon asked, rubbing the nape of his neck. The smile on Hyuna's face faded.

"Do you always need a reason for me being near you?" she asked.

"Was that the question you were going to tell me?" Joon questioned.

Hyuna tucked a strand of her hair behind her ear. "N-No…Not really."

Joon raised an eyebrow in response to her reply. He remained silent, hoping that Hyuna would blurt something out. There was an awkward silence that filled the atmosphere. He sighed, and walked over to Hyuna. Leaning on the balcony next to her, he gave her a bright smile.

"It's a beautiful night on my birthday, right?" Joon said. Hyuna felt her heart skip a beat.

"Y-Yes. Yes it is," Hyuna replied, her lips trembling a bit. Her knees buckled, and she tried to support her knees by holding onto the rails of the balcony. "J-Joon oppa…how many times did girls confess to you?"

Joon looked up the sky and let out a soft chuckle. "I think everyone in the school. Except for two people." He glanced at Hyuna and gave her a soft smile. "You and…" There was a small blush on Joon's cheek as he turned away from Hyuna's gaze. "…and Yoona."

For a moment, Hyuna hesitated. He rejected hundreds of girls, and yet he's still popular. I applaud him.

"J-Joon oppa…What if I confessed to you? Huh? Would you consider me?" Hyuna asked, her fingers wrapped around the rim of her skirt. Joon kept quiet. He knew exactly where this was going.

"Hyuna, please. Stop now. It's just going to make it more awkward between us–"

"No!" Hyuna refused bravely. She took a deep breath and stared right through Joon's soft, brown eyes. "Joon oppa, I love you! Please consider me as your girlfriend!"

Eyes closed, she waited for a reply. Her heart was racing, but it wasn't racing like Hyuna predicted before. No, it felt more like her heart was racing from…embarrassment?

"I'm sorry, Hyuna. I can't accept your feelings. You know very well who I have my eyes on," Joon replied, rejecting Hyuna's bold confession.

"But you won't even consider it? Couldn't you think about it–"

"I'm sorry, Hyuna," he repeated firmly. Hyuna was about to protest until she met Joon's hard gaze. "I just can't accept your feelings."

"And I can't accept your rejection!"

"Can't you go confess to someone else more better than you?"

"How can I if you're the only man who's in my standard?"

"What standard? Does a man have to be in your standard? Can't the guy be out of your standard, but you can still love him? Hyuna, if you think love is all about meeting your standards, then I absolutely cannot think about your confession."

"Why not? Huh? Why not? Am I not good enough? Is it because I'm not smart? I'll be more like Yoona if you want me to–"

"You can't do that," Joon replied quietly.

"Why can't I?" Hyuna cried. She was on the verge of tears. "I've loved you longer than her! I've been around you longer than her! I've been caring about you for the past years, and yet you still reject me? Why, why, why?!"

"Because you aren't Yoona!" Joon yelled. He was fed about with Hyuna's whines. There was no way that he would continue to tolerate with her childish acts. "You aren't Yoona, okay? You're Hyuna! You're unique in your own way! Besides, how can I love you when you bug my friends, flirt with me all day, and pull me away from someone I love?"

Hyuna's face went pale, and so did Joon's. He covered his mouth, unsure of what he had exactly said. Did he just blurt out everything that was in his mind? Hyuna loosened her fist and took a step back away from Joon. 

Hiding her face under her hair, she whispered, "I'm sorry for being so annoying."

"Hyuna…" Before Joon was able to say anything else, Hyuna took off. There was no way that she would face Joon again. The whole time when she thought that she was making Joon happy, she made him feel like he was in a nightmare.

And that made her feel humiliated.