Just A Friend

Not Like Everyday

After school, Joon didn't expect to see Yoona waiting for him at the front. There was no doubt that he was shocked to see Yoona leaning against the gates, rocking her feet back and forward. A faint shade of blush crept on his cheeks. To be honest, in his perspective, it was kind of cute to see Yoona just standing there, rocking her feet back and forth. After a few minutes, Yoona finally looked up and met Joon's eyes.

"Finally you're out," Yoona mumbled.

"Sorry, I took someone's cleaning duty today–"

"I know. Mir had a date with someone and needed you to take his place and yeah. Anyways, are you busy right now?"

Joon paused for a moment. "No, I don't think so."

"Then can you come with me for a second?" Yoona asked.

"Only if you help me finish my science project due tomorrow. I seriously don't like how my model is going," Joon mumbled. Yoona giggled, and then smiled at him. She took a bold step, and grabbed his hand.

"Sure. I already finished mine…on the day that it was due."

"Bragger."

"I'm not bragging!"

"Fine. You're being boastful."

"I'm not! I'm just saying!"

Joon laughed, and then patted Yoona's hair. Even though he was messing up her hair a bit, he couldn't help but notice the small blush that was crawling on her cheeks. He smirked.

"You're blushing."

"Am not!" Yoona denied.

"You're in love with me," Joon replied cheekily. 

"I'm not! I only see you as a friend, stupid," Yoona grumbled. A sharp pain stabbed through Joon's chest. He bit his bottom lips, hoping that Yoona wouldn't notice the bitter look he had on his face. He sighed, and then looked away to avoid eye contact with Yoona.

"Sure," Joon mumbled, "I'm just your little friend."

Without knowing, his comment actually caused Yoona to feel a bit disappointed. Taecyeon, who was watching from the distance, ignored Hyuna's rant about him spilling out locker combination and stared at the two. 

They look kinda nice being together, Taecyeon thought. He turned to Hyuna, who was glaring at him. I wonder if I can look like that with Hyuna. For a second, he paused. Then, he blushed and looked away. What am I saying? I'm going crazy!

 

"…Did we really have to walk to the mall?"

"Yes."

"Couldn't we drive the car."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because I said so."

"Your answers are so simple and short. Explain why we couldn't drive the car to the mall and had to walk."

"You're making this sound like a quiz. I already took five test today, and three pop quizzes. Plus, to answer your question, we couldn't drive there because I didn't want us to use gasoline and–" Yoona stopped for a moment, and then widened her eyes. Joon frowned, and stared at the direction Yoona was looking at. There were just a small group of girls smiling and having a great time together. He turned back to Yoona, who looked a bit pale.

"Yoona? Are you okay?" Joon asked. He gently shook Yoona, which caused her to snap out of her thoughts. She turned to Joon and gave him a weak smile.

"I-I'm fine. Just thinking," Yoona replied.

"You were looking at a couple of girls. Are they your friend or something?" Joon questioned. Yoona shook her head.

"Nah, they aren't. Just a few classmates of mine–"

"Oh, it's Yoona!" Yoona and Joon looked up to see the same group of girls walking up to them. Yoona bit her bottom lips. "Hey Yoona! It's been a while! Do you remember me? I'm Tiffany, and this is–"

"Seohyun. Over there is Taeyeon, and the one besides you is Jessica. I remember you guys," Yoona mumbled. Tiffany smiled satisfyingly, and looked at Joon.

"Is this your boyfriend?" Tiffany asked. Yoona glanced at Joon, who was staring right back at her. Yoona sighed, and shook her head.

"No, he's just a friend," Yoona replied. Those words echoed in Joon's head, causing him to space out a bit.

"Oh, another friend? Hm, makes sense. I mean, who would want to hang around with some freaky genius– I mean, an innocent child?" Tiffany said, giggling. Yoona clenched a fist, as Seohyun poked Tiffany's ribs.

"Tiffany, I think you hurt Yoona's feelings again," Seohyun whispered. Tiffany studied Yoona for a moment, and then sighed. It was common for Tiffany to hurt people's feelings. She wasn't good with words, and seemed to have trouble keeping secrets to herself.

"I'm sorry, Yoona! I forgot that I was the main reason why you left the group–"

"It's fine," Yoona interrupted coldly. "I don't care anymore. Now if you'll excuse me and Joon, we're leaving."

With that, Yoona pushed her way through her old friends and stormed off with Joon. Joon followed right behind Yoona, wondering if she was going to cry. He slipped his hands in his pocket after the two made it through the entrance. Yoona stopped her tracks for a moment.

Without turning around, Yoona said aloud, "Hey Joon, what do you think of me as?"

Joon stared at Yoona. He was curious with what her reason for asking was. Right when he was about to answer, he remembered Yoona's answer to Tiffany when Tiffany had asked if Joon was Yoona's boyfriend. He stared down at his shoes and frowned.

"I don't know. I guess just a friend," Joon muttered bitterly. 

Those last few words left scars on Yoona's heart, but she couldn't understand why she was so upset with his answer.