The Quote

Not Like Everyday

It was seven o'clock in the afternoon. It was getting extremely cold and dark, and a single lamp post shined on Taecyeon, who was still waiting for Hyuna in front of the building. The bar was packed with adults, and so Taecyeon was forbidden to enter. He sighed, rubbed his numb fingers together, and tried to warm them up with his breath. 

What's taking Hyuna so long? I've been waiting for hours, he thought. He swore that tears could just fall from his eyes right now. He just wanted to talk to Hyuna. Was it that hard to meet up with someone and talk? He squatted, looked down on the ground, and rubbed his hands for warmth. 

A few minute later, he saw a pair of boots in front of his face. Thinking that it was Hyuna, he looked up, his face glowing with happiness. However, he was greeted by a familiar student, and it was the student he least wanted to see.

"What do you want, Yoona?" Taecyeon muttered, staring down at his shoes. Yoona squatted in front of him and extended her arm out. Taecyeon heard a rustling sound, and so he looked back up. Yoona was holding a plastic bag, and it seemed like she wanted him to take it. Taecyeon pushed Yoona's arm away.

"No thanks. I don't need to eat," Taecyeon grunted. Yoona kept quiet, and continued to stick her hand out for Taecyeon to take the bag. Taecyeon ignored Yoona, hoping that she would get tired and walk away. He waited for five minutes, but she didn't even budge. He groaned and glared at Taecyeon.

"If I take the stupid bag, will you leave?" Taecyeon asked. Yoona paused, and then nodded her head.

It's shocking how she isn't saying a word, Taecyeon thought, snatching the plastic bag away from Yoona's hands. He opened it, and widened his eyes. He glared at Yoona, who stood up.

"Hey."

Yoona ignored him and turned.

"Hey."

She took a step, as if she was ready to leave.

"HEY!" Taecyeon yelled. He stood up, and shoved the bag in front of Yoona's face. Yoona frowned, but did not say a word. Taecyeon angrily glared at Yoona.

"The bag's empty! Take it back," he yelled. Yoona sighed and pushed Taecyeon away from her.

"Just because the bag is empty, doesn't mean that it can't be a gift," Yoona muttered.

"What?"

"The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, and choiceless as a beach – waiting for a gift from the sea," Yoona quoted.

Taecyeon's face twisted into a dumbfounded look. "What does that even mean?"

"The quote is by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. You should spread it around," Yoona said. She walked away, leaving Taecyeon dumbfounded once again.

Suddenly, Yoona stopped her tracks after walking at least five feet away from Taecyeon. She turned around and gave Taecyeon and encouraging smile.

"Hyuna's in the hospital with Joon. She won't be coming to visit. She just want me to tell you that. I was running some errands, so sorry for the late note," Yoona informed. She walked away with a small smile in her face. Then, the small smile turned into a bitter laugh.

Why…Why did I lie for the girl who is too greedy for Joon's love? Yoona wondered. She looked up at the black, empty sky. There wasn't a single sight of a star or the moon. Maybe…because…Maybe because it's the kindness of my heart.

But deep in Yoona's heart, there was more to it.

 

On Monday morning, Taecyeon found Hyuna at her locker. He checked his watch and frowned.

She's up quite early, he thought. He sighed and walked towards Hyuna. Hyuna looked up from the mirror she had put in her locker and smiled.

"Oh, hey Taecyeon! What's up?" Hyuna asked. Taecyeon scratched the back of his head.

"Er, I heard from Yoona. You know, about you at Joon's hospital," Taecyeon mumbled. Hyuna paused for a moment, and then nodded her head. She applied lipstick on her lips and winked at herself in the mirror.

"Hyuna, you are bea-u-ti-ful!" She giggled. She closed her locker and focused her attention on her friend. "So what's really up?"

Taecyeon sighed. "It's just…You could've just texted me instead of telling Yoona that you weren't coming to visit me."

Hyuna raised an eyebrow. I never told Yoona anything.

"Or even at least called me. You know how long I had to wait for you? My parents were worried that I was going crazy or mental," he muttered. Hyuna frowned.

What on earth is he talking about?

"Then when Yoona came up to me, she said some weird quotes that's been bugging me for the past few hours," Taecyeon grunted.

"What kind of quote?" Hyuna asked.

"The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, and choiceless as a beach – waiting for a gift from the sea," Taecyeon cited. "It's by Anne…Anne Morrow…Anne Morrow Lindbergh, I think."

"Why would she tell you that?" Hyuna questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"That's what has been bugging me! She said to spread it around and…It's just too complicated," he grunted. Then, he pulled out a crumbled plastic bag from his back pocket. "Oh yeah, and she gave me a plastic bag. What a gift, huh?"

Hyuna played with her lips. Yoona. Quote. Spreading. That made sense. However, the part where Yoona gave Taecyeon a plastic bag did not. Hyuna sighed and decided to forget about the whole situation.

"Hey, I'm going to go to Joon after school at the hospital, alright? If you have any problems with Yoona, don't come crying to me," Hyuna said, waving her hand. Taecyeon felt somewhat hurt with Hyuna's blunt words. He meekly nodded his head and quietly heaved a sigh. 

The quote. What does that have to do with me? Taecyeon wondered, scratching his head.