A True Friend

Not Like Everyday

"You know, I feel really bad," Yoona said. "I mean, you're paying for all the food and all the accessories you gave me."

Joon shrugged his shoulders as he brought over a tray of food. "It doesn't matter. I get allowancs everyday from my parents by doing nothing. You don't want to know how much money they give me. Anyways, eat up. I got you a burger."

Yoona smiled, but then her smile quickly faded away. "Wait, you get money by doing nothing? Not even doing a little chore?"

"Mhm," Joon replied, nodding his head. "Just nothing."

"Is that what you plan to do when you're older? Do nothing and let your parents…spoil you?" Yoona asked. Joon, who was just about to bite into his hamburger, stopped. He glanced at Yoona and threw her a confused expression.

"Spoil me? I don't think they spoil me. I work extra hard to keep up with my image," Joon said calmly. He bit into his lunch and quickly wiped off the sauce that stained his mouth with a tissue. Yoona stared at him in disbelief.

"Yeah, an image which gets you no friends," Yoona muttered. Joon stared at Yoona.

"I have friends–"

"But do you have any true friends? Any true friends whom you can trust? Do you have anyone who stands up for you or anything?" Yoona questioned. Joon sighed and dipped his french fries into a small cup of ketchup. He carefully thought about Yoona's question for a few minutes, and then glanced at her.

"Yeah, I do," Joon replied. Then, shyly, he whispered, "You."

It took a while for Yoona to adjust everything Joon just said. A blush started to heat up her cheeks as she awkwardly looked away. She took a small bite into her cheeseburger and nibbled on the bread for a moment. 

"Joon-ssi…Why are you so nice to me?" Yoona asked quietly. "You're popular, and I'm not as popular as you. You're known as some kind of king, while I'm known as a freak. Why hang out with me when I ruin your image as a popular student?"

Joon paused, and then stared at Yoona's chocolate eyes. Their stares became intense as each second passed. Joon didn't know what to say. He was obviously speechless. He was even asking the same question to himself, and couldn't even find a simple answer. Then, what hit him off guard was when Yoona asked him, "Do you think because you're popular you're forced to be nice?"

Joon's eyes widened. "N-No! It's not like that!"

"Then what?" Yoona asked, sipping her drink. Joon bit his bottom lips.

Why is she suddenly throwing such random questions at me? he wondered. 

"It's not like I'm throwing random questions at you," Yoona mumbled, as if reading Joon's mind. "I'm just wondering because…Well, because I'm not worthy of being a friend for you."

Joon paused for a moment, and then let out a bitter laugh. "You think you have to be worthy to be a friend?"

"Yes, I do," she replied quietly. Joon stared at Yoona, shocked. He slowly shook his head and leaned far back on his chair.

"I guess the reason why I'm being nice to you is becuase you're my friend. You're kind to me, so why not return the kindness back?" Joon asked, referring to Yoona's question. Yoona paused for a moment, then sipped on her drink, and then nodded her head. As if she was satisfied, she went back to eating and being silent, cautious of her surroundings. Joon frowned at himself, as he fiddled with his fingers a bit. He, too, was fine with his answer, but he wasn't satisfied.

No, he knew that there was much more to the correct answer. Something more which he did not quite understand.