Forever In Debt

Not Like Everyday

It was after school, and everyone was heading home. When Taecyeon was just about to step out of campus, he had a phone call. He slipped out his phone from his pocket and found out that it was Hyuna. He clicked the green phone button and put his phone besides his ear.

"Yeah?" he answered.

"We need to talk. Where should we meet?" Hyuna's voice asked. Taecyeon pondered on that question for a moment.

"I don't know, how about at your house?" Taecyeon replied.

"No, my mom's there with her friends. How about your house?" Hyuna replied.

"My dad's sleeping, and my mom's sick. We can't go there," Taecyeon said, sighing. He shook his head as Hyuna sympathetically said, "Aw! You poor thing!"

"Let's just meet at the public library. It's quieter and there aren't a lot of people in our school who goes to the library," Taecyeon suggested.

"Fine. Bring your stuff so that it looks like we're studying!" Hyuna told him. She hung up first before Taecyeon could breath. Taecyeon stared at his phone and frowned.

Pft. I thought I just had to get Yoona to love me. I wonder what Hyuna wants now, Taecyeon wondered. He slipped his phone back into his pocket, pulled out a pair of earphones from his other pocket, and began to pretend that he was listening to music. His parents were too poor to buy him an iPod. That was fine, though. As long as his parents got better and had their jobs, he was fine with whatever he had.

A smile crawled on his face. That suddenly reminded him of how he had first met Hyuna.

 

"My parents need this damn job! You can't just fire them!" Taecyeon had shouted. He was in middle school, and he was supposed to head straight to tutor. However, the fact that both of his parents were fired bugged him. He needed to talk with the manager face to face.

The manager sighed and lit up his cigarette. Taecyeon wanted to cough and gag. He hated people who smoked. He thought it was cool, but he hated how it smelled so foul and foggy.

"Look kid, I can't do anything about it. Your mother was being harassed by men whether she liked it or not. Your father always went to beat up those customers at the end and always came back injured. How can I let your parents suffer like that?" the manager asked. 

"They weren't suffering! It was called love!" Taecyeon protested. He remembered how his parents would look whenever they came back late at night. Her mother would look tired and worn out, and sometimes were dress was torn a bit. Her father would come back home with a broken bone, but his father seemed numb to the pain. Nevertheless, the parents both had proud smile on their faces when they gave each other simple glances. 

Now that his parents were fired, they seemed hopeless and lost.

"Boy, I can't do anything about that. I'm not willing to take responsibility for them. Plus you're just a kid. You'll understand," the manager told him.

"I don't understand and I will never understand! Just give them their jobs back!" Taecyeon had demanded. The manager grew furious.

"You're boring me kid. Get out!" the manager yelled. A knock on the door was heard. The manger looked away from Taecyeon's face and at the door.

"Come in!" the manager called. The door slowly opened, revealing a short, red-haired girl. She seemed quite attractive, but something about her appearance made him want to stay away from her. The manager smiled satisfyingly.

"Ah, my wonderful employee! Hyuna, what can I do for you?" the manager asked. Hyuna bowed politely at the old man and blushed when she glanced at Taecyeon.

"Um, I hope you don't mind, but I couldn't help eavesdropping your conversation," Hyuna said quietly. She turned to the manager and straightened her back. "Sir, I believe that if his parents came back, business can go faster and better. After all, they were the best of your employees."

"Hyuna, did you not see the horrified faces those parents had?" the manager asked, rubbing his temple. "Look, just go out and go to school."

"But sir, please listen! They always brought twice as many customers for the fast services. The two alone can survive the world! You know that you need them back!" Hyuna exclaimed. The manager fiddled with his fingers, staring deep through Hyuna's anxious eyes. The manager gave up and threw his arms.

"Fine! I'll hire them back!" the manager exclaimed. Hyuna smirked as Taecyeon stared at the manager in disbelief.

"A-Are you serious?" Taecyeon stuttered. The manager scribbled something on a piece of paper and handed it to Taecyeon.

"Make sure they fill this out again. You must return this by tomorrow at noon! Otherwise, your parents won't get the job," the manager had warned. Taecyeon flashed the manager a grin and accepted the papers.

"Thank you! Thank you so much!" Taecyeon exclaimed. He turned to Hyuna and gave her a quick hug. "Thank you! I am forever in your debt!"

 

Taecyeon smiled. He really owed Hyuna for that day. If she hadn't been there, his parents might've not gotten the job and…Well, where would he be then?

He took off towards the library, trying to be there earlier than Hyuna. If he was late, Hyuna would probably kill him.