An Interrupter

Not Like Everyday

What's the most "wonderful" sound you could hear when you wake up on a school day?

Simple: The sound of the construction workers drilling their jackhammers on the ground and banging down steel with their loud, powerful hammers. 

Yoona's droopy panda eyes slowly opened up. She gritted her teeth in annoyance and wanted to scream. Why must there be a new house in her neighborhood? She wondered if her neighbors could even get the sleep she needed. She sighed and got up from her bed. She dragged her feet and opened her window. The loud sounds of sawing wood and drilling in the screws blasted in Yoona's ears.

"QUIET DOWN THERE!" Yoona screamed. To her dismay, the noise only got louder. The deafening sound just made Yoona shut her window and give up on the workers.

She made sure to remind herself to hang around in the library for a couple of hours after school before coming back home to listen to the blaring noises of building a house.

 

During break, Yoona sat down on a bench and took a deep, shaky breath. She was already exhausted, even though she had free period the whole morning. She double-checked in her head to make sure that she finished all her assignments early.

History assignment? Check. Math project? Check. Turned in library book? Ch– Shoot! Yoona widened her eyes and immediately got up. She had left the printed research she did on Joon's childhood in the library book she turned in. She immediately got up and dashed to the library. However, someone grabbed ahold of her wrist before she could take another step. Yoona whipped her head and met Taecyeon's soft, suspicious eyes.

"Hey Yoona. You have a minute?" Taecyeon asked. Yoona cringed when she saw Taecyeon's smile.

He's up to something, Yoona thought. He's definitely up to something.

 

"Library, library, library!" Joon mumbled, quickly walking through the halls. He just received a detention from the teacher for "running in the hall," but Joon swore that he was just walking a bit faster than his usual pace. Joon never visited the library very much, and every time he visited the library, he could never remember where it was located. He had another huge book report due today, and forgot to do the report again.

I should start writing down my homework assignments or something, Joon thought, groaning. When he passed by a certain classroom, his sneakers squeaked. He stopped abruptly, and slowly took a few steps back. Peaking through the window on the door, he spotted Yoona's back and Taecyeon leaning against the wall. Frowning, he leaned his ear against the door to hear their conversation.

"So what do you want from me this time? You better hurry. I have to get something really important," Yoona said. She paused, and glared at Taecyeon. "If I don't get my important stuff, then you're doomed."

Taecyeon nonchalantly nodded his head. "Sure, whatever. I just want to ask you a personal question. It has to relate with girls, and since you know everything, I thought I should ask you."

"Why don't you just ask Hyuna?" Yoona asked, crossing her arms.

"No, I can't. This question relates to Hyuna. Lately, she seems to be really…upset," Taecyeon said, emphasizing "upset." Yoona raised an eyebrow and sat on top of a desk.

"Oh really? I'm not surprised, though. After all, being rejected by someone you flirt with all day is heart breaking," Yoona said, glancing at the door. Joon quickly hid his face, and prayed that Yoona didn't see him. He waited for a couple of seconds, and spied on the two once again.

"So…Do you know how I can make her feel better?" Taecyeon asked.

"Aren't you her friend?" Yoona asked.

"Well, you're a girl. I'm sure you've been in love tons of times since you seem to know everything," Taecyeon said. "I just want to know how to make girls feel better."

The conversation was suddenly enveloped with an awkward silence. Taecyeon patiently waited for Yoona's response, but all she gave him was a pale expression. Joon frowned, and bit his bottom lips.

Why isn't she replying? Joon wondered.

"Yoona? Hey, Yoona?" Taecyeon called, waving his hand in front of Yoona's face. She didn't respond. She stood still, and when Taecyeon thought that something was wrong with Yoona, he decided to lean his face a bit closer to her. Joon, who saw Taecyeon's action, widened his eyes and twisted the door knob.

Creak… Yoona and Taecyeon whipped their heads and turned around, only to find Joon stumbling into the classroom. They blinked their eyes, wondering why Joon was coming into the classroom.

Joon blinked his eyes, too, and stared at the two. Why…did I open the door?