Losing a True Friend

Not Like Everyday

The next day at school, Joon found Yoona at the library, but she wasn't alone. Taecyeon was sitting next to her, trying to talk and flirt with her in different ways. Joon stormed up to the table and took a seat across Yoona, who continued to crease her eyebrows.

"So how about we go somewhere? You know, maybe to get something eat after school?" Taecyeon suggested. Yoona glanced at Joon, and then looked back at Taecyeon. She gave him a fake smile.

"I'd love that! Honestly!" Yoona exclaimed quietly. Taecyeon's eyes widened as a bright smile crawled on his face.

"Seriously?" he beamed. Yoona's fake smiled instantly disappeared and was replaced with a numb expression.

"No. I told you, go away! Let me study!" Yoona groaned. 

"Do what she says," Joon snapped at Taecyeon. "It's for your own benefit."

"You don't tell me what to do. You're not the boss of me," Taecyeon sneered.

"Yeah, but I do have the whole school to back me up," Joon pointed out. Taecyeon stared at Joon for a few more second, and then scowled. He stood up and rudely elbowed Joon as he left the room. Joon rubbed his shoulder, where Taecyeon had elbowed. 

"Thank you," Yoona said quietly.

"It was nothing," Joon replied. "Besides, I…I owe you. You know, about yesterday–"

"So did you enjoy rushing to finish your essay due today last night?" Yoona asked, changing the topic. Joon stared at her.

"How did you know–"

"I know everything, Joon. I thought you knew that," she said, rolling her eyes. Joon bit his bottom lips.

"Well…I have to admit that it was hard, but–"

"Then why did you go with Hyuna yesterday?" Yoona asked. 

"I thought we weren't talking about this. You changed the subject," Joon muttered.

"Just because I changed the subject doesn't mean that the first subject would be dropped," Yoona pointed out. "Now tell me. You had tons of homework to finish, and you decided to stay with Hyuna for hours, faking your personality. Tell me why you would stay with her."

Joon kept quiet. "Because it makes Hyuna happy, and happiness is what matters."

Yoona slammed her fist against the table, shocking Joon. Luckily, no one was in the library. Yoona stared at Joon with rage, outraged about his response.

"Happiness? You wanted her happiness? Joon, when was the last time you were happy?" Yoona hissed. Joon frowned and glared at Yoona. She was spreading a negative atmosphere around him, and he wasn't liking how Yoona was behaving.

"I was happy when you stopped lecturing me with your weird sayings! You're not the boss of me! If I wanted to make Hyuna happy, I could make her happy! All I wanted to do was to apologize to you, but you just had to bring up all these topics. Gah! Why can't you act like a normal girl?" Joon yelled, frustrated. Yoona's skin turned white as her frown quickly faded away into a numb expression. She stared at Joon for a moment, and then clenched a fist.

"I hate you! You're so stupid and weak!" Yoona shouted.

"Oh yeah? Well, I'm not weak on campus. I have the whole school to back me up–"

"Are you threatening me?" Yoona asked. "Seriously, Joon. Are you trying to threaten me?"

"Yeah. So what if I threaten you? You'll find some way around it. You're a freaking genius. No wait, I take that back. You're a freak, lecturing people to do what's right and telling them what's wrong!" Joon screamed. Yoona started to make some angry hissing noise.

"My friends don't call me a freak, for your information!" Yoona snapped. "A true friend wouldn't call me a freak!"

"Then I guess we're not friends," Joon declared. "I don't even know why I was friends with you."

"Fine. Have fun being played around like a puppet, then," Yoona muttered coldly. She stood up, threw her book into a random shelf, and stormed away. Joon scoffed, stood up, and glared at Yoona's back.

"Fine! Sure! Alright! Who needs you anyways? I have the whole school to back me up! You know why? Because I'm normal and popular!" Joon shouted. Yoona pretended not to hear him. Once she was gone from his sight, Joon heaved a sigh and plopped down back on his chair.

"But do you have any true friends? Any true friends whom you can trust? Do you have anyone who stands up for you or anything?" Yoona questioned.

Yoona's words at the mall suddenly began to repeat itself in Joon's head. He snorted and stared away from the library door. Suddenly, his eyes widened as he quickly stood up. He stared back at the library door. Fear suddenly crept through his skin, as realization dawned on him.

He had just lost his only true friend.