Not Fair

Not Like Everyday

Joon was bored. The hospital was always busy, and he didn't receive as much attention compared to when he was in school. To him, he felt like this white room was a prison. All he had in his hands was a rubber, bouncy red ball in his hands. He would throw the ball against the wall, and wait for the ball to bounce back to him. If the ball wouldn't bounce back, he would call the nurse to pick it up for him. 

Joon stared up at the ceiling and put his arm over his eyes. He would think about Yoona, wondering what she was doing, but not today. He was too exhausted, especially because Hyuna had spent most of her time talking and gossiping with Joon last night. If he could, he would've called the nurse to take Hyuna away. But of course, being the softy he was, he couldn't even ask her to politely leave the room. 

This is so boring, Joon thought, heaving a sigh. I want to get out of this hospital.

Tomorrow he would be discharged from the hospital. His heart started pounding against his chest when he started to think of Yoona. In his thoughts, he saw Yoona smiling at him, and it was the kind of smile that would blind anyone if they saw it.

"Yoona," he whispered softly.

"You called me?" 

Joon jumped and sat straight up. He turned to his left, only to find Yoona smiling at him. His cheeks started to heat up, as he played with the rubber ball in his hands.

"U-U-Uh…"

"I heard that you're getting discharged tomorrow. That's great news, isn't it?" Yoona asked, slightly grinning. Joon gulped nervously and nodded his head as he looked down at his fingers. He felt ashamed. His eyes could not even look into Yoona's doe-like eyes.

"Y-Yeah…W-Wait, aren't you supposed to be at school?" Joon asked, gathering the courage to talk to Yoona face-to-face. Yoona pressed her lips into a thin line.

"Well, it's true that I've been absent for a while, but I doubt that the teachers would mind. After all, I am a good student," she pointed out. Joon nodded his head quietly before looking at the plastic bag Yoona was holding.

"What's that?" he asked, pointing to the bag. Yoona glanced down at her hands.

"Hm? Oh, this? It's just some food. Do you want some?" Yoona asked, extending the bag out. Joon quickly shook his head. He just ate, and didn't feel like she wanted to eat anything. Yoona stared at Joon, smiled, and then grabbed two breads from her backpack. She put the two breads into the plastic bag and put it on the table near Joon. He frowned.

"You added more food inside the bag? Why?" Joon asked. Yoona giggled, and then smiled brightly at Joon.

"There was nothing in this bag to start with," Yoona replied. Joon raised an eyebrow, as Yoona took a seat near Joon.

"So…how's life?"

 

After school, Hyuna was the first to leave. She didn't even wait for Taecyeon or anything. She was just too excited to see her crush. She bit her lips, and then wondered what Joon was doing. 

Is he eating? Is he bored? Is he doing something else? Hyuna wondered. She ran faster, as she thought about Joon and wondered what he was doing. Her heart raced even faster than before, and the young girl couldn't tell if it was because of all this running or at the thought of Joon. She giggled to herself, and bit her bottom lips even harder. She told herself to stop thinking about Joon, and focus on getting to the hospital.

Once she arrived at the hospital, she took the stairs instead of the elevator. Even though the floor Joon was on was pretty high, she didn't care. The elevator would take to long, anyways. When she finally arrived at the right floor, she quickly walked to Joon's room. She couldn't keep her excitement, and thought of all the subjects she could talk about with Joon. She smiled even brighter, despite the fact that she was exhausted from all the running.

Hyuna stopped, and her sneakers squeaked. Her smile wore off and faded into a shocked expression. She stared at Joon, who was smiling with Yoona. The two suddenly laughed, and Hyuna wanted to know what they were laughing about. Her eyes were glued to Joon, who seemed more…alive then usual.

They seemed so happy, and the dim room seemed so…bright. Their smiles were almost blinding, and their laughs echoed in the room. Hyuna stared and watched the two, who were laughing, smiling, breathing, and living.

Suddenly, Hyuna's legs felt weak. She quickly leaned against the wall, gasping for air. She no longer wished to see Joon. Her back slid down the wall, as Hyuna collapsed on her knees. She felt a tear drop streaming down her cheek. She wiped her tears away with the back of her hand, but the endless tears kept streaming down.

It wasn't fair.

At least, not to her.