Tensed Atmosphere

Not Like Everyday

During lunch, people were staring at Joon. It wasn't because he did anything wrong, but because he was simply walking to Yoona. Yoona tried to hide her face with her hair, but that didn't do much. Joon slid in front of Yoona, and then smiled at her.

"What's up?" Joon asked. Yoona rolled her eyeballs upward to see Joon. She gave him a bitter look that told him to go away, but of course Joon refused to. "So I'm holding up a party. All the school is invited, but you're getting a special V.I.P invitation."

Joon slid a blue envelope towards Yoona, who tucked a strand of her hair behind her face. What's he up to? she wondered.

"No thanks," Yoona replied. "I'm busy and–"

"Come on, Yoona," Joon said irritatedly. "You have to come!"

Yoona raised an eyebrow, wondering why Joon was talking to her as if he didn't care about all these people staring at them. She would expect Joon to give her the invitation later like after school or something, but now? During lunch? In school? Where all his little fans were? She was surely to be bashed later.

"Can't you give it to me later?" Yoona whispered. "I'm in a middle of a book."

"What book? I see no book–" Joon stopped when he spotted Taecyeon coming over. Taecyeon sat cooly next to Yoona and smiled at her.

"Hey Yoona, what's up?" Taecyeon asked. By now, Yoona could hear the room getting louder with more whispers. She knew that they all wondered why she was with Taecyeon and Joon.

"The ceiling is up," Yoona replied, turning her attention back to Joon. "You better leave. Everyone is going to torture me after school or something–"

"If they do that, I'll be there to protect you," Joon assured. 

"Even if that means going into the girl's restroom? That'll surely ruin your image," Yoona pointed out. Joon blushed, and then frowned a bit. 

"I'll go inside the girl's restroom if I hear you being bullied," Taecyeon helpfully chimed. Yoona narrowed her eyes at him, but then soon decided to ignore his presence. Right when things could've gotten worse, Hyuna came to the table to join them. Yoona then noticed something. Her table, which was never filled with people talking to her, was actually being filled. The small table could probably fit two or three more people, but then that was it.

A filled table, Yoona thought. For a moment, she was speechless. Her heart was being poured with joy, even though she was surrounded with people she wanted and didn't wanted to be with.

"Joon oppa!" Hyuna called cutely. She grabbed his arm and smiled. "Why are you sitting here? I was waiting for you at your normal table!"

Joon cringed a bit. "Oh, um…I just wanted to tell Yoona something. I was going to go back to my table anyways."

"You should go now," Taecyeon said to Joon. "Don't you feel that this table is getting a bit crowded? And look at you two. You and Hyuna are perfect for each other!"

When Yoona heard the last sentence, she felt her heart crumble. She bit her tongue to hold back her tears, which were starting to blur her vision. She looked up to keep her tears from falling, and then stared at Joon and Hyuna. For a moment, she was in doubt.

They do look good together, Yoona thought, biting her bottom lip. But Joon doesn't like Hyuna. So it can't be the perfect couple, right? 

"Perfect? Me and Joon? Taecyeon oppa, you're making me blush." Hyuna laughed, but in the end, she did blush. Her blush was clearly noticeable, and Yoona wanted to wipe that blush away from Hyuna's face. Actually, she wanted to pull Hyuna away from Joon's arm.

"Yoona, are you okay? You're kind of breathing…irregularly," Joon said. Yoona, who had been inhaling and exhaling loudly and angrily, stopped. For a moment, she felt her cheeks redden and her heart quicken. This feeling was new to her. She never imagined experiencing this kind of rush in her blood. Was this…embarrassment?

Yoona looked away, and blushed even harder. "I-I-I…I was just practicing my breathing exercise," Yoona whispered. She looked up to see Taecyeon and Joon worriedly staring at her. Hyuna coldly glared at Yoona, who began to sense an awkward atmosphere.

Was it just her, or did the atmosphere just got more tense?