The Watch

Not Like Everyday

At the mall, Yoona stopped by at the jewelry shop. She carefully watched Joon, who was awing at all the expensive watches. Yoona had a tight budget, and she wasn't supposed to spend her money on something so expensive like the golden watches Joon was staring at. However, his birthday was coming up, so she had to buy him something.

"Choose anything here. I'll buy it for you," Yoona told him. Joon's eyes widened. He knew that she didn't have enough money to pay for all the watches.

"Are you sure? I mean, don't you–"

"Just tell me what you want. Your birthday is coming up, isn't it? I want to buy you a present," she said.

"So you're coming to the party?" Joon asked. Yoona's cheeks flushed bright red.

"I-I only said that I was going to buy you a present. I never said that I was going to come," she replied.

"But are you going to come, right?" he asked. Yoona kept quiet. To be honest, she didn't really plan on coming to his party. She wouldn't appeal to anyone's eyes, not to mention that Joon would be surrounded and occupied during the party. She'd feel lonely, and it would be like school, except this time she would be the only one not having fun while the rest would be partying.

"I…I'm not sure. I have to check my schedule," Yoona said. Joon smiled and nodded his head.

"I really hope you come. A party isn't a party when Im Yoona isn't there."

Yoona let out a bitter laugh. "Oh really? In what way do I make a party more fun?"

"Just being there. You're amusing, did you know that?" Joon asked. Before Yoona realized it, her cheeks were feeling warmer than usual. She looked away and mumbled something. Joon chuckled a bit, and then eyed on a silver, plain watch. It had a thin, magnetic strap on it, and Joon thought that it would look nice on his wrist. He peeked at the price, and gasped. The watch was just too expensive. There was no way that Yoona could pay for it as a birthday present.

"Hey Joon. What if I plan to come to the party at the last minute?" Yoona asked. Joon shrugged his shoulders.

"It wouldn't matter for you. You got the blue invitation. Whether you're coming or not, your name will be on the list. If you got the white invitation, though, then you have make quick reservations," Joon explained, trying to find a cheap, pretty watch. Yoona nodded her head and sighed.

"Are you done picking yet? I have to go somewhere soon," Yoona told him. Joon looked up, and then smiled.

"Not yet. Do you want me to come next time or something?" Joon asked. Yoona examined Joon's eyes for a moment, and then nodded her head. 

"Sure. I should get going to my job. Should we part here?" she questioned. Joon nodded his head, and watched Yoona disappear in the crowd. He sighed, and then took out his phone to call his driver.

I need to find something cheap and affordable for Yoona to pay, Joon thought. But what?

 

For the past few days, Yoona had avoided Joon. The two never went to the mall to buy a present for his birthday. Today was Joon's birthday, and he didn't know if Yoona was going to make it to his party. 

She didn't even call me, he thought, sighing.

"Hey Joon!" Joon looked up to see Taecyeon grinning at him. "Looking forward to your party!"

Joon grimaced. "I wish you weren't invited."

"Ha, ha. Very funny. Anyways, do you know if Yoona is coming? Cause if she isn't, I'm only going to stay there for a few minutes," Taecyeon said. Joon sighed and dropped his shoulders.

"I want to know if she's coming, too. She didn't say anything, and she's been avoiding me the whole time," Joon explained. Taecyeon smirked.

"So you got into a fight?"

"No."

"Then why is she ignoring you?"

"I don't know, Taecyeon! Just leave me alone!" Joon yelled frustratedly. Taecyeon whistled and glanced at Joon.

"Ooh, someone's excited for their birthday," Taecyeon said sarcastically. He laughed, as Joon gave him a cold look.

"Shut up!" Joon yelled back.